Is SL chat now secure from 3rd party?

Red2Blaze

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1984 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:47 AM, Lancewae Barrowstone said:

The poster was patient through a lot of jibberish.  If she returns I want to suggest that you can download a vpn service in less than a minute, and for a few bucks a month secure your traffic from your computer to the vpn server of your choice somewhere in the world, then on to SL and back.  This answers your concerns and thwarts the nosy guys around a university who are not criminal minded seeking bank accounts but are interested in the private lives of girls and how to snoop on them thru fun hacking.

Only subscribe to a vpn that allows you to see the server list and the percentages of load on each server, so you can choose one in a good location and under light load each time you log in.  I know of one such service and I won't mention it's name but I think it starts with "N" and ends with "n."  Just choose one of their servers on their list that is close the the SL servers in San Francisco or else close to your own location so that traffic is most direct. 

You know there is no total security on the internet and don't need to be preached to and told snarkily to alter your behaviour.  To answer your initial concern, this should ease your mind about local snoops on the university network.

Best of luck, lass.

Thank you very much

The snooping is mostly an example, just have to keep my name off record for now ?

Was thinking about a VPN but honestly with the slow network I got I think it will make it all a bigger pain

On 11/12/2018 at 1:35 AM, Bradford Mint said:

Just to point out that I think she said she didn't want to use a VPN.

(Plus, the university may not pass the VPN traffic - unknown to us at this point)

Thanks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1984 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.