operationhammerman

A list of ALL accounts

18 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

There is a reason my web profile is set to private and I use legacy profiles in world.

I'm not looking for the code. I'm not a programmer so it doesn't mean anything to me.

Can you understand that I and others do not want our information on the web like that? I've had my RL identity stolen and used to file federal income tax returns with. So no, I don't want someone I know nothing about putting any information about me on the web. It makes no difference if my RL information is associated with it or not. I do NOT want it out there. I can't file my taxes without having to wait for the IRS to send me a new PIN every freaking year now. You may not think there would be any negative consequences to what you are doing but you really have no way of knowing.

Don't put personally identifying information in your profile then, simple as that. I'm not responsible for what you do.

As stated before, profile information is considered PUBLIC INFORMATION. If you don't want people to see it, don't put stuff there. And I'm not using web profiles, I'm using... WEB PROFI-- I mean WORLD API. Yes there are three places profiles are at, legacy profile, world api, and web profiles. World API is completely different than web profiles, despite being on the web. It was web profiles before web profiles, but not web profiles at the same time. Idk it is weird but it has existed for a LONG time, way before web profiles.

Sorry for being abrasive, but I am allowed to do this, and I'm not the only one.

I'm done dancing for drama llamas now, I'm going to go do other things that are more worth my time, like sleeping, or coding, or sleeping.

Edited by Chaser Zaks
grammer is spelt with a "ar" but i spell it with a "er" here
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Depends on how you look at it, scary would be knowledgeable without comprehension of responsibility.

It's reassuring to know that you think you have a comprehension of responsibility, but the rest of us sort of have to take your word for that, don't we?

I may be a bit on the fat side but I'm not obtuse. I don't know what disingenuous means but I do have aspergers if that is what it means.

I'm hoping that this is an attempt at a joke? If so, it's not a bad one.

If it isn't, I can only observe how odd it is that someone who can competently build new things with code doesn't know how to use Google?

I fail to see how a key to name service and second life url embedding tool can be dangerous. If you don't want people to see what you put on your profile, don't put it on your profile? That's literally what a profile is for, to put stuff you want people to see publicly. It does not do anything different than what is doable in-world.

And here you go, being either obtuse (adj., slow to understand) or disingenuous (adj. pretending that one knows less about something than one really does). On its own, an individual component of this data does, indeed, do nothing more here than it does in-world. Linked in meaningful ways to other data about me, and contextualized as part of a massive database of similarly linked data about other people, you can do a great deal more with it than is possible with that discrete bit of information in-world.

This is not rocket-science: that's the whole point of data harvesting. If you can't do anything "different" with it in this form than in-world, then why are you collecting it in the first place????

Where did you get the impression I can access emails from?

That was a joke on my part.

If people are going to continue to be rude and accuse me of being "the hacker known as four chan"

Has anyone accused you of this?

4Chan and their ilk are annoying, aggravating, and offensive, but they actually aren't all that dangerous except, perhaps, to those whom they specifically target.

What is waaaaaaay more potentially scary are well-intentioned, and possibly naive technological solutionists, who spend their time either inventing problematic "solutions" to things no one else has ever seen as a problem, or who are so intent on making what they see as "improvements" to life that they never think to ask those whom they are supposedly helping whether or not they want to be helped in the first place. Please see Selene's posts, here: she clearly doesn't want her life "improved" by you.

I don't have the technical chops to know if there are risks or dangers embedded in what you describe as your project. I can certainly imagine that there are people who might find such a tool useful. But then history is replete with inventions that were supposed to improve life, and actually made it much more perilous. I hope this is not the case with yours.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Bad, dangerous, and irresponsible apostrophe removed
  • Haha 2

Just now, Chaser Zaks said:

Don't put personally identifying information in your profile then, simple as that. I'm not responsible for what you do.

As stated before, profile information is considered PUBLIC INFORMATION. If you don't want people to see it, don't put stuff there. And I'm not using web profiles, I'm using... WEB PROFI-- I mean WORLDS API. Yes there are three places profiles are at, legacy profile, worlds api, and web profiles. Worlds API is completely different than web profiles, despite being on the web.

Sorry for being abrasive, but I am allowed to do this, and I'm not the only one.

I'm done dancing for drama llamas now, I'm going to go do other things that are more worth my time, like sleeping, or coding, or sleeping.

I have NEVER put personally identifying information on my profiles.

Oh so now you are going insult me because I don't want my profile on the web? 

Just because you can do something doesn't make it right.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

What is waaaaaaay more potentially scary are well-intentioned, and possibly naive technological solutionists, who spend their time either inventing problematic "solutions" to things no one else has ever seen as a problem, or who are so intent on making what they see as "improvements" to life that they never think to ask those whom they are supposedly helping whether or not they want to be helped in the first place. Please see Selene's posts, here: she clearly doesn't want her life "improved" by you.

This. So much this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

How is that possible?

https://my.secondlife.com/selene.gregoire/#about_tab

Am I going to have to remove everything from my profile to make it private now? WTF has LL done?

This is nothing new. That information has always been available on the web to anyone.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/World_API

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

This is nothing new. That information has always been available on the web to anyone.
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/World_API

It's new to me. 

So now I have a choice. I can either wipe profiles completely or I can wipe profiles and leave SL again only this time forever.

Not much of a choice. Neither is desirable. 

Frankly, if I had known about this prior to returning, I would never have come back to SL. To me, it reeks of RedZone, even if it is allowed by LL. 

Please, excuse me while I go wipe profiles and consider whether or not I want to continue logging in.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Am I going to have to remove everything from my profile to make it private now? WTF has LL done?

(and @Selene Gregoire)

OR you could just set the PRIVACY settings on your "My.SecondLife.com" web profile.

S.I.M.

P.L.E.

Edited by Alyona Su

4 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

OR you could just set the PRIVACY settings on your "My.SecondLife.com" web profile.

S.I.M.

P.L.E.

The privacy settings on my.secondlife.com do not affect the world.secondlife.com profile. Or legacy profiles for that matter - but you at least have to be logged in on an SL viewer to view a legacy profile.
The world.secondlife.com profile information is visible to all on the web.

There was an accepted JIRA issue to add privacy settings to world.secondlife.com

BUG-6830 - resident data on world pages are public Ref Case 01938617

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

S.I.M.

P.L.E.

I did that years ago. Apparently, it doesn't work on web profiles. ETA: Meaning what Whirlz just posted above. We seem to have posted at the same time.

57 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

How is that possible?

https://my.secondlife.com/selene.gregoire/#about_tab

Edited by Selene Gregoire

It seems a couple people (at minimum) need to grow up a bit and drop their paranoia.

The OP never stated a reason for wanting a comprehensive listing of every Second Life account made to date and based on circumstantial evidence/information it can be guessed that any purpose for such would not be one Linden Lab would approve of.

Chaser explained why he has been gathering some of the information and where it was acquired. Whirly and Chaser further explained how the differing profile systems work.

Point Blank for those who do not seem to get it: Your Avatar/Account Name, Key and a handful of other information is public, period. Get over it, deal with it and stop pretending it's some huge deal.

Comparisons to Real Life Identity Theft? Get real. Not comparable, period.

That big on Privacy? Don't use the Internet - at all. No seriously - even using a VPN and/or spoofing your machine information isn't enough to stop someone truly serious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

@Solar Legion

Laugh all you want to. When you have experienced having your RL identity stolen and a RL stalker that stalked you for decades you won't be laughing anymore.

I'm laughing because you're being overly paranoid.

That's the beginning and end of it.

Edited by Solar Legion

I think at this point, this thread has perhaps long served its purpose and it might be heading off into a dark tunnel and about to take a wrong turn and get very lost (and I haven't had enough coffee yet to save us if we get lost). At this time, I am going to save us from forever being lost in said tunnel and am going to close the thread.

If you have concerns of your privacy being violated, or the Terms of Service being broken, please submit an Abuse Report or a Support Ticket.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11