You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello!

As we all know, Second Life is all about having an experience-- an enjoyable one! But that's not entirely what this topic is about; this topic is a request for help. I'll start by saying that I am not paid or endorsed in any way by anyone. I merely want to help. There is someone in one of my groups that is not getting an enjoyable experience out of SL, specifically, learning to be a content creator for SL. They are deaf, and do not learn well by text alone, or even image guided text. Video isn't very helpful either. Instead of us getting frustrated, as anyone can understandably be when language barriers are involved, I figured I'd reach out and see if anyone was willing to help.

Tutorials all across Youtube, and the internet in general are a fantastic resource, but mostly for the hearing. I was hoping there might be at least one person who'd be willing to get with people like Avastar (who one of the moderators thought was a fantastic idea) to do Sign Language translations for the instructions going on in the video. I'm sure it would make a world of difference for this one person in the group, and likely MANY more. And it would be awesome if it could go beyond Avastar, and branch out into other tutorials pertinent to SL.

PLEASE, let me know if you're able to do this! I don't know Sign Language (yet) but I'm hoping to learn, and help.

Thanks.

Edited by GarouGrey

All youtube videos can do subtitling. It seems it would be far better if people just generated the subtitle files.

Why? ASL is just a dialect. Only a small part of the world use it. What about those who sign Auslan, or BSL, or ... well, there are a hundred or so different dialects.

Advantages? Any hearing person who can type can generate the subtitle.

More Advantages? Gaia uses a computer voice, so she has the text files already done. You only need to ask her to upload the subtitle.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1992 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.