buying land/renting

JustinHendrix

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am very new to this scene. How does one go about buying land to put a house on it? What is the difference between a lease, renting, buying land, etc?(I know it probably has to do with the owner and their rules/I understand.)  Where can I look for places to rent/lease a place to put a house on it? Do I have to be premium account to do all this? 

3 answers to this question

renting / leasing a parcel is where we rent from another resident like ourselves. Owning a parcel is where we pay Linden Lab the tier (rent) directly

it can be advantageous to "own" when we like the idea of having full control over our own home parcel. If you are thinking about owning less than a region then look into Linden Homes to start with. Then later on expand your horizons to mainland ownership

renting has its own advantages, mostly the ability to move to another parcel being a bit more flexible.  To get an idea of whats available for renting and what you can expect to pay generally then have a look at Anshex : http://www.anshex.com/

is quite a few other estates like Anshe that you can look at also. Anshe tho is probably the easiest/quickest in terms of gathering info about renting costs

The short answers first:

1. Buy and rent mean the same things that they do in RL, with some subtle differences.   All land is owned by somebody -- either Linden Lab or a SL resident or group.  Also, Linden Lab collects a land use fee (think property tax or condo fee) on all land.  The difference between buying and owning is really a matter of who you pay the land fees to.  If you are renting, you pay a weekly or monthly rental fee to the landowner, who then pays LL for land fees.  

2. You can buy land directly from LL, paying a high fee for a newly-created region, or paying for land at auction.  Most land is sold by one resident to another, however.  You can look in the land forums here, or in Marketplace (under "land"), or you can simply wander around regions that appeal to you and watch for sale signs.

3.  If you are buying land on the Mainland, you must be a Premium member.  Anyone may buy land in private estates, and anyone may rent anywhere.

4.  Most land is sold bare, with no trees, buildings, or anything else.  The new owner has to buy or build everything that goes on the land, and is responsible for staying within the Land Impact limits for the region or parcel s/he has bought.  Some rented land my have trees or buildings, but that's a matter between the owner and the renters.

Now, in greater detail, start reading articles in the Knowledge Base (the tab at the top of this page):

a1b77e543154fa9a0350625e240cf7ee.png

I strongly suggest taking Lindal Kidd's free class in land ownership and management, offered every Saturday noon SLT at Oxbridge University, in World.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.