Am I lagging myself?

Meow2016

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was reading New World Notes and thinking / realizing 

if not al mesh is created the same then maybe I could travel through SL better if I reevaluate my avatar.

Are there mesh body head combos that have less polygone things? 

Where can I find this information? Are people checking some kind of stats when shopping? 

Can other things like my skin slow me down in sl?

Someone has had to compare the bodies and heads in this regard, right?

7 hours ago, Meow2016 said:

Where can I find this information? Are people checking some kind of stats when shopping? 

It's not a perfect system as it's been noted that the calculations are faulty, but it's all we have, so using the complexity numbers we can see in the viewer is the easiest method for checking complexity. I only use the Firestorm viewer so can't speak to other viewers. There is a preference that lets you turn complexity number on and off. Your complexity rating will show in your tag. You will also see everyone else's number in their tags. Personally, I just watch the complexity numbers that pop up in the corner of my screen as I put on and remove items. If the number jumps too much for what I think it should then I don't buy the clothing/hair/shoes whatever.

Can other things like my skin slow me down in sl?

It's unlikely that your skin will slow you down. It's a texture so it does count toward your overall complexity, but it's minor as nearly all skins used for mesh bodies/heads are 1024 resolution. What can slow you down though is wearing lots of makeup layers or clothing layers that also use 1024 textures. Fortunately, once BoM comes out we will be able to bake all those layers of textures into one texture thus reducing complexity substantially.

The only comparison I know of is on the Mesh Body Addicts webpage, but unfortunately, the data hasn't been updated in awhile so keep that in mind if you do use that source.

• Like 2

@NiranV Dean, I summon thee!

If I remember correctly, the Belleza bodies are an order of magnitude worse than, well, everything else out there because of their extremely high polygon count. Maitreya/Slink/Signature are about the same sort of level, comparable to Catwa and other heads. This is also why neck seams are much more of a problem with Belleza bodies than the others. Kemono is the least performance intensive of the major brands by a significant margin, but the clothing/skin/etc market is aimed at a more niche audience than the others.

But I'm working from my memory of a discussion that happened on the Black Dragon discord a while back, Niran and others can give you actual numbers if you wish.

48 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

It's not a perfect system as it's been noted that the calculations are faulty, but it's all we have, so using the complexity numbers we can see in the viewer is the easiest method for checking complexity.

No. For mesh bodies and other fitted mesh the complexity numbers are so faulty they are completely meaningless.

Maitreya and Slink seem to be relatively low lag. Others may be too, I haven't checked them all.

As far as I know there are no such thing as a low lag mesh head. Some of the most popular brand manage to get amazingly low render complexity numbers but they do it by cheating the system, not by reducing the actual lag.

Firestorm has some really cool built in features to measure triangle count and texture density but perhaps the best way to emasure lag is to check your fps. Click Ctrl+Shift+I to bring up the Statistics window. The fps is right at the top of the list:

1660407333_Skjermbilde(1931).png.bf365bcadd1b9a65708bb93eaebcda34.png

Watch as it changes when you change your outfit.

How low an fps you can tolerate is up to you of course but generally, 20 is acceptable, 30 is ok, 45 is good 60 is excellent.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

How low an fps you can tolerate is up to you of course but generally, 20 is acceptable, 30 is ok, 45 is good 60 is excellent.

Personally I limit my fps to 30. Avatar physics do all kinds of wonky stuff at higher than 30. My system can easily get 60, even up to 100, but I don't need it.

I still prefer to use complexity numbers over checking fps, as that would be meaningless for me since I limit fps. 

I agree that complexity is borked, but I still think it at least gives me some indication. I'd rather wear a dress that weighs in at 4k rather than a dress that weighs in at 80k.

Edited by Blush Bravin

10 minutes ago, Dementia Obviate said:

Just curious, what is considered a reasonable level of complexity? I'm usually under 100k, sometimes a little over, but I always see at least a couple people that exceed 2 or 300k whenever I go to a club.

I usually consider approximately 50k a good complexity level. I try not to go much over about 75-80k if possible, and I always save the complexity number as part of the outfit name.

To the OP: Things that will lag you include -

1. lots of alphas
  2. lots of heavily-scripted add-ons (hair, jewellery, shoes, etc)
  3. flexi items (flexi skirts on dresses, flexi hair, etc)
  4. having your LOD set too high
  5. having your draw distance set too high
  6. having your graphics set higher than your GPU can reasonably handle

If you combine 4 and 5 -  for example: putting your draw distance at 512 and your LOD at 4 - then your computer will likely have to render every single tiny jewel in the complex necklace being worn by that female avatar halfway across the next region.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dementia Obviate said:

Just curious, what is considered a reasonable level of complexity? I'm usually under 100k, sometimes a little over, but I always see at least a couple people that exceed 2 or 300k whenever I go to a club.

I set my render limit to 250K, I think the LL default is like 120 or something? It's pretty low if I recall right. This also brings the question about those little notices I see: "Not everyone can see you" and "Every one can see you now" - I've always *presumed* (and I am likely way off) that "Not everyone can see you" means there's someone around whose render setting is below what I am at (I am too complex for their setting) and "...can see you now" is, I suspect, when someone has manually rendered you or all others have setting high enough. If those don't mean that then I have no idea whatsoever why I would get those messages. LOL

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I've always *presumed* (and I am likely way off) that "Not everyone can see you" means there's someone around whose render setting is below what I am at (I am too complex for their setting) and "...can see you now" is, I suspect, when someone has manually rendered you or all others have setting high enough.

That's exactly what those settings mean, yes. :)

To check your script induced drag you can get a cheap script meter. Rez it where you live dress up and then click it to see if you might be adding too much to lag with too many scripts.

Just search the MP for "script meter" for some options.

@Meow2016  A quick way to check your own complexity if you don't want to see everyone else's in a crowded room, is to open your Appearance editor (the one that lists what you're currently wearing) - that will show you your complexity number on the bottom right hand corner (in Firestorm anyway, not sure about other viewers).

If I'm doing sim photography, I set graphics complexity to 40k or less so those people in all their flexi finery don't rattle my fragile-nerved laptop in ultra settings.

14 minutes ago, AnyaJurelle said:

@Meow2016  A quick way to check your own complexity if you don't want to see everyone else's in a crowded room, is to open your Appearance editor (the one that lists what you're currently wearing) - that will show you your complexity number on the bottom right hand corner (in Firestorm anyway, not sure about other viewers).

If I'm doing sim photography, I set graphics complexity to 40k or less so those people in all their flexi finery don't rattle my fragile-nerved laptop in ultra settings.

If you don't need or want avatars in your shot (including yourself) - you can also do CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+4 to toggle :) (Though it sometimes also grabs some mesh stuff)

On 11/4/2018 at 7:44 PM, Alyona Su said:

I set my render limit to 250K, I think the LL default is like 120 or something? It's pretty low if I recall right. This also brings the question about those little notices I see: "Not everyone can see you" and "Every one can see you now" - I've always *presumed* (and I am likely way off) that "Not everyone can see you" means there's someone around whose render setting is below what I am at (I am too complex for their setting) and "...can see you now" is, I suspect, when someone has manually rendered you or all others have setting high enough. If those don't mean that then I have no idea whatsoever why I would get those messages. LOL

About this: "...can see you now" is, I suspect, when someone has manually rendered you or all others have setting high enough"

I don't think it's when someone has rendered manually, but just when all around you have loaded you fully or something like that. Or high enough settings. Well, maybe some guys do render manually, but i never do that and when i see avatars as color figures, it just takes longer for them to render/load for me and i will see them later normally without any manual rendering.

I found these:

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/avatar-rendering-complexity-r770/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxWrqd0o3dc

that youtube link is: Second Life - Avatar Complexity Limit Tutorial & Overview

When you are looking for script loads the problem is finding which attachment has how many scripts and their size. The solution is right-click the ground and choose About Land -> Scripts -> Avatar. You'll get a list of your attachments and the scripts and total size of each.

Slink feet are script heavy. I love my Slink feet. But, if I need a low script outfit, for flying - driving - or sailing, I'll get the feet set, make a copy, then remove the scripts from the copy. Saves almost 1MB of script size.

On 11/5/2018 at 12:55 AM, AnyaJurelle said:

[..]

When I'm taking a photo I turn on 'show friends only'. As I have none it leaves me as the only visible being, focusing all resources on me and my surroundings.

I tend to keep my ARC below 100k, but usually view others upto around 200k. if people are over 200k then that is their problem, although curiosity might make me briefly un-jellydoll them for silent shaming purposes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.