Threadripper & Radeon Pro Duo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was all excited... I thought I built a nearly perfect machine for SL but my frame rate totally is well.... poopy (2.8)

CPU = AMD Threadripper

GPU = Radeon Pro Duo (2 x 16BG) 

MB = Aorus X399 Gaming 7

RAM = Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB

I crank ALL my settings to MAX... expecting to be able to process this without a problem.  To max out everything across the board, what am I missing?  Just want my framerate up now without losing any quality. Is it the RAM, or a setting I need to adjust elsewhere?                      

5 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

SL has never done well with ati/amd graphics cards, SL is more centered around nvidia chipsets.    sure somebody does have a solution for you on this..

I replied to his duplicate thread on this. Tldr version is that SL isn't going to use multiple GPUs and threadripper is about core count, SL doesn't care how many cores you have. Radeon pro duo is basically two RX 470's and only one is being used, threadripper is a bunch of cores that compete with haswell in single threaded performance, SL won't use more than 1 or 2 of those 32 cores. Maxed with people around, single digit framerates aren't unreasonable.

I can also say after an E X T E N S I V E amount of testing there are absolutely no AMD/ATI only issues with SL outside of some stuff like forcing crossfire profiles on old dual gpu cards. There are definitely issues with older cards in general but wether it's ATI/AMD or Nvidia makes no difference.

This belief came from the early 2000's when ATI dominated the mobile chipset market and Nvidia barely touched it. People wondered why their laptops couldn't play SL, plain and simple the Radeon Mobility graphics of yore were on a tier several levels below the FX series Nvidia dedicated GPUs. When it was thought "I have an ATI chipset that doesn't work, and they have a Nvidia one that does, it must mean ATI doesn't work for SL"

When really it was just that they were trying to play SL on weak for gaming, adequate otherwise mobile chipsets. 

Everyone who had Nvidia would've been a desktop user and their desktop cards played SL fine.

I really dislike seeing that concept that's theres any history of AMD or ATI cards having issues with SL because it's misleading information for people who may be trying to figure out their performance problems or are looking into hardware for a PC for SL.

Edited by cykarushb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1990 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.