Renting Land from Private Estates

PinkDiamondLove

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Please forgive me I am still new and trying to figure this all out, so I became premium 2 days ago and love it but I am confused with this landing buying/renting option.. 1. how do I find land to rent from estates? 2. Do I have to pay tier if the land is only the 1024? 3. If I wanted to rent something bigger than 1024 on the private estate, how much do I pay for it?

Edited by PinkDiamondLove

15 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, PinkDiamondLove said:

Please forgive me I am still new and trying to figure this all out, so I became premium 2 days ago and love it but I am confused with this landing buying option.. I am being told that I can buy land, has to be mainland and not homestead? and that if I stay under the tier amount given to me that is will be free and anything bigger I have to pay a monthly rate for?

As a premium member you are entitled to purchase 1024m  sized parcel of land on mainland and benefit from the free tier allowance.  There is also the option to use that 1024 m allowance for a linden home.  These are currently 512 m  but due to be expanded to 1024 plots.  If you did buy a parcel of mainland and it was bigger than 1024  you would have to pay the additional costs to LL. 

13 minutes ago, PinkDiamondLove said:

Cindy thank you for replying, though I did have to edit my question.. sorry

this might help then for mainland.  For homesteads or private islands then you need to go to one of the rental companies inworld and check their prices/parcel sizes 

https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php

Edited by Cindy Evanier

Just now, PinkDiamondLove said:

ok got it, so for homestead or private islands, do I pay the full amount of whatever the price is? I dont get the first 1024 free?

No, the first free 1024 only works for a mainland parcel you buy.  I am going to page @Lindal Kidd who can explain land much better than I can when she is around.  

Don't rush into anything, there are other options such as donating your free 1024 allowance to a company who will give you benefits such as a lower price on an estate rental.  

Hi Pink!

That's right...there are two types of land in SL: Mainland, which are regions managed directly by Linden Lab, and private estates, which are regions managed by another Second Life resident.  Your Premium benefits only apply to Mainland.  (If you want, though, you can certainly get land on a private estate, instead of or in addition to your Mainland.  If you do, you will pay a weekly or monthly fee in $L to the estate owner.)

One other point of clarification before we leave the topic of estates: Homesteads.  Most regions in Second Life are what we call "full" regions.  That doesn't mean that they are filled up, it means "full performance".  Full regions can support up to 100 avatars and 20,000 prims.  Some private estate owners also offer land on Homestead regions.  A Homestead region is the same physical size as a full region, but its performance is more limited.  It can only support 20 avatars and 5,000 prims.  They also cost less.  As a result, Homesteads are popular with people who want a large physical land area at a reduced price.  When you look for private estate land, you'll find both full and Homestead land available.

OK...back to Mainland and Premium membership.  You can own up to 1,024 sq. m. of Mainland with no monthly fee.  You can use this benefit in at a few different ways.

1.  Get a Linden Home.  These are on 512 sq. m. parcels, so you still have 512 sq. m. left over.
  2.  In the near future, Linden Lab will offer larger Linden Homes on 1,024 sq. m. parcels.  This option isn't available yet, though.
  3.  You can buy another 512 parcel on the Mainland from another resident, or through the land auctions.  You pay an up-front purchase price in $L for the land, but you won't pay any monthly fee.
  4.  If you want all your land in one place, you can forgo the Linden Home (or abandon it, if you already have one) and buy a 1,024 sq. m. Mainland parcel.
  5.  You can donate some or all of your free land tier allowance to a group.  Some groups will pay you to "rent" your spare tier.  Here's an example.
    1. I own about 3/4 of a Mainland region.  That means I pay tier at the full region rate, $175.00 USD per month.  But I only own part of a region.  A region is 65,536 sq m, so I have about 1/4 of that, 16,384 sq. m. that I am paying for, but not using.  I donate that to a group who pays me about $L2,000 per week for it.  They use my donated tier to cover part of the monthly cost of THEIR Mainland holdings.
  6.  Groups get a 10% tier bonus, so you could create your own group, buy land for the group, and donate your 1024 tier allowance to your group.  Your 1024 donation allows your group to own 1024 x 1.10 = 1,126 sq. m. of Mainland.

(Options 5 and 6 touch on pretty advanced topics.  If your head is spinning too fast from information overload, ignore those last two and concentrate on 1 -- 4.)

When Cindy mentioned donating tier to an estate owner, she may have been thinking about Option 5.  I don't know of any Private Estate owners who'll accept Mainland tier as payment, or partial payment, for estate land, but I'm always learning new things.  Maybe @Cindy Evanier will pop back in and explain that one!

Edited by Lindal Kidd

8 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

When Cindy mentioned donating tier to an estate owner, she may have been thinking about Option 5.  I don't know of any Private Estate owners who'll accept Mainland tier as payment, or partial payment, for estate land, but I'm always learning new things.  Maybe Cindy will pop back in and explain that one!

I am sure I have read it on the forums that people donate their tier allowance  and apologies for thinking it was you who mentioned it.  I think it is your option 5.  Hence calling you (or anyone)  with more experience than me before Pink went rushing in excited to grab some land :) 

• Like 1

What Cindy is saying is all correct. Being a Premium member does not give you any special advantage on private estates, only on the Mainland.  When you "own" property on the Mainland, you are actually renting directly from Linden Lab.  Your monthly land fees go to Linden Lab, so they can offer you, as a Premium member, a special discount by applying a part of your Premium membership fee.  If you get a Linden Home or use the 1024 sq m land fee allowance, you are not really getting "free" land. Your Premium membership is paying for it.

If you buy an entire region as a private estate, you are also responsible for paying land fees directly to Linden Lab, but anyone who buys land in that estate from you is paying you.  They may "own" the land, but they are essentially your tenants.  If those tenants are Premium members, their 1024 sq m allowance has no value for you, the estate owner.  After all, you are still responsible for paying the land fees for the estate to Linden Lab, and you have to get the money somewhere.  Linden Lab isn't going to give the estate a break on cost simply because it has some Premium tenants.

Your Premium membership comes with many benefits (access to all categories of support and to Premium sandboxes and periodic Premium gifts, special access to crowded regions, more groups,.... ), but the bottom line is that your Premium land benefits have no value in private estates.

Edited by Rolig Loon

@Lindal Kidd thank you so much for clearing all this up for me, I really appreciate it. However, I am stuck again lol.. I went to search in my viewer and selected Land Sales and on the drop down tab I selected Auctions and there is nothing in there, I tried by both price and size and still nothing.. am I doing something wrong or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

7 minutes ago, PinkDiamondLove said:

@Lindal Kidd thank you so much for clearing all this up for me, I really appreciate it. However, I am stuck again lol.. I went to search in my viewer and selected Land Sales and on the drop down tab I selected Auctions and there is nothing in there, I tried by both price and size and still nothing.. am I doing something wrong or is there somewhere else I should be looking?

Auctions are paused for a while as LL add some new features  https://status.secondlifegrid.net/incidents/t9pl3rrl7g03

Yeah, the land auctions have been off line for over a month now.  I hope LL gets them back soon.  However, there have always been far more parcels for sale by individual residents than have been available through the land auctions.

I use both Search and the main world map when looking for land parcels for sale.

@PinkDiamondLove

One additional note - if you decide to play with Groups (i.e. Lindal's #6), read up on them in knowledgebase. Groups 'must' always have at least 2 people and if you are using the group for your land, you want that other person to be your own alt account. 

Also, I highly recommend Lindal's land class at Caledon Oxbridge University.  I think it is today even, in an hour or two.   Class is today at Noon SLT.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.