Phorumities

OMG, too funny

4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

Let's see where that blind adherence to symbolism leads us:

Don't you dare defile the name Southern Cross by using it on that dixie thing ;)

The Confederate Southern Cross dates from 1862 the Australian one from 1903. 

4 hours ago, Phorumities said:

I'm not referring to the Australian Southern Cross but the Confederate Southern Cross.

Its proper name is "The Confederate Battle Flag," I think.    Why not refer to it as such?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Innula Zenovka said:

Its proper name is "The Confederate Battle Flag," I think.    Why not refer to it as such?

Southern Cross sounds more prestigious methinks ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

Why would someone burn it or drag it through the dirt if it's unimportant?

For countries that have been through wars, been occupied, survived through disasters... flags are important.

They burn it or destroy it to show their contempt for the people that value it. 

Plus a flag can't fight back

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

It was always also referred to as The Southern Cross.

5 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

At least you didn't call it The Stars and Bars.

25 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

The stars of the constellation the Australian flag shows date back millions/billions of years ago. Stars win...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

It was always also referred to as The Southern Cross.

Could you give me a reference, please?   I'm not disputing it, but I do like to check historical references against sources, when I can.    I've always thought of "the Southern Cross" as the constellation, which appears on the flags of Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Samoa and Papua New Guinea.  

For what it's worth, the first two pages of Google hits for me (in the UK) point either to the constellation or to the names of pubs and restaurants, primarily in Australia and New Zealand.

It seems a bit odd for members of the Confederacy to have referred to their battle flag by the name of a constellation completely invisible to them where they were  and which few, if any, of them would ever have seen. 

Edited by Innula Zenovka

2 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Could you give me a reference, please?   I'm not disputing it, but I do like to check historical references against sources, when I can.    I've always thought of "the Southern Cross" as the constellation, which appears on the flags of Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Samoa and Papua New Guinea.  

For what it's worth, the first two pages of Google hits for me (in the UK) point either to the constellation or to the names of pubs and restaurants, primarily in Australia and New Zealand.

It seems a bit odd for members of the Confederacy to have referred to their battle flag by the name of a constellation completely invisible to them and which few, if any, of them would ever have seen. 

The must unreliable source lists it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cross_(disambiguation) LOL you know the one everyone and their cat can edit.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

The must unreliable source lists it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Cross_(disambiguation) LOL you know the one everyone and their cat can edit.

I realise that some people nowadays may well refer to the Confederate Battle Flag as "the Southern Cross" (clearly Phorumities does) but I'm less sure that any of the men who fought under that flag would have known it by that name.    I'm hoping that Phorumities can assist me here.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I realise that some people nowadays may well refer to the Confederate Battle Flag as "the Southern Cross" (clearly Phorumities does) but I'm less sure that any of the men who fought under that flag would have known it by that name.    I'm hoping that Phorumities can assist me here.

You...optimist xD

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

I realise that some people nowadays may well refer to the Confederate Battle Flag as "the Southern Cross" (clearly Phorumities does) but I'm less sure that any of the men who fought under that flag would have known it by that name. 

They didn't. It wasn't until well after the Civil War ended that some began to refer to it as A Southern Cross. It is not common. At least it wasn't in the part of the South I grew up in.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Ummm, no. 1854

Swearing-allegiance_w480.jpg.1b0d82850d34d1e5d4203e486c92f5c6.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Rebellion (This is our version of the Boston Tea Party with the people rebelling against taxation without representation. as a direct result we were allowed to vote)

Edited by Callum Meriman

When I just search for "Southern Cross", "A Southern Cross" or "The Southern Cross" in Bing, I don't get any hits relating to the Confederate Battle Flag or the Southern Cross of Honor unless I include the word "Confederate" in the search string - at least not returned in the first 4 pages of Bing search hits.  

I had not heard that the Confederate Battle Flag was also referred to as the Southern Cross before,  probably because I have not ever lived in the southern part of the U.S., I suppose. 

12 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I had not heard that the Confederate Battle Flag was also referred to as the Southern Cross before,  probably because I have not ever lived in the southern part of the U.S., I suppose. 

Likely it's just revisionist history. As the battle flag has taken a hit in the past few years people who see symbolism in it have searched for a "nicer name".

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

The stars of the constellation the Australian flag shows date back millions/billions of years ago. Stars win...

Sorry, but we were talking about flag names.

Nice try though

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Whut up over here on dis here thread?

E7C41EA6-0854-4B78-90FD-2A9819AE166E.jpeg

I'm just promoting my club, but so far no one has dropped by.

*shrugs*

Just now, Phorumities said:

Thats nice, So what?

It corrects your statement that the Australian one was 1903. It wasn't it was 1854. Facts are important ma'am.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Innula Zenovka said:

It seems a bit odd for members of the Confederacy to have referred to their battle flag by the name of a constellation completely invisible to them where they were  and which few, if any, of them would ever have seen. 

Excuse me, the flag design is the St Andrews Cross, modified it became the Southern Cross.

Here' s a link I'm sure all you lefties will hate.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2001/04/david-dieteman/that-dangerous-st-andrews-cross/

5 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

It corrects your statement that the Australian one was 1903. It wasn't it was 1854. Facts are important ma'am.

The Australian national flag featuring the constellation was first used in 1903. That is the only flag  I was referring to, since that was the one in a picture someone posted. 

2 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

The Australian national flag featuring the constellation was first used in 1903. That is the only flag  I was referring to, since that was the one in a picture someone posted. 

3rd of September, 1901 actually. Facts are important.