OMG, too funny

Phorumities

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sounds close enough to “delusional”!

The people who use the Southern Cross as a cape, or on the back of their ute are not so delusional, as much as bogans ... a picture speaks a thousand words

1415231089_download(60).jpeg.71cebe4ddb1eebac6bcaaa3f6a55f1cf.jpeg

Yep, they love Mullets and beer!

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Nah, we see them as mostly just wankers. A fringe group of drunk and obnoxious bogans who drape themselves in the flag come invasion day and are the ones shout "Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi" at the cricket/Footy.

Not many people like them. Proven by the fact their political party of choice, one nation, only gets 7% of the vote.

I must take issue with this I am sorry. Please do not include my beloved southern cross in this conversation. My ancestors were at the Eureka stockade long before the confrontation with the poms. I am not a trade union related thug nor associated with cowardly outlaw motorcycle gangs or racist groups. I was born under the southern cross, constellation Crux. It breaks my heart to see every manner of degenerate tainting it with their disgraceful dysfunction/s. ¬¬:(-_-

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I must take issue with this I am sorry. Please do not include my beloved southern cross in this conversation. My ancestors were at the Eureka stockade long before the confrontation with the poms. I am not a trade union related thug nor associated with cowardly outlaw motorcycle gangs or racist groups. I was born under the southern cross, constellation Crux. It breaks my heart to see every manner of degenerate tainting it with their disgraceful dysfunction/s. ¬¬:(-_-

Oh yes, I well know. The flag used to be one of good and a shining symbol of the miner's struggle against the British and taxation without representation through the gold licence. But a lot happened since 1854, and although the southern cross survived unblemished as a very positive symbol until hmmm, 2005 I guess there is no doubt it has been tainted by criminals, gangs of thugs, drunk bogans at the cricket, and the 7% who have "sod* off, we're full" stickers on their utes. It's sad.

* not the actual word

• Like 1

I never understood the identification with something as silly as a flag.... People go all bonkers because someone burns a piece of cloth or drags it through the dirt. Don't you have some real problems? And no, please don't tell me it's all about the values the flag stands for. People identifying with flags and other group allegiance trinkets usually are those that think least about values. With the words of a very known Twittitician : "Sad!"

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Fionalein said:

I never understood the identification with something as silly as a flag.... People go all bonkers because someone burns a piece of cloth or drags it through the dirt. Don't you have some real problems? And no, please don't tell me it's all about the values the flag stands for. People identifying with flags and other group allegiance trinkets usually are those that think least about values. With the words of a very known Twittitician : "Sad!"

Why would someone burn it or drag it through the dirt if it's unimportant?

For countries that have been through wars, been occupied, survived through disasters... flags are important.

1 minute ago, Akane Nacht said:

Why would someone burn it or drag it through the dirt if it's unimportant?

Same limited mindsets on both sides ;)

1 minute ago, Akane Nacht said:

For countries that have been through wars, been occupied, survived through disasters... flags are important.

Those wars are a thing of the past you were (for the most part) not involved in them - why would you identify with someone else's achievements? Lack of your own? Sounds like an excuse to avoid some effort ... "Gramps fought in da war so now I can feel proud too" LOL yeah...

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Oh yes, I well know. The flag used to be one of good and a shining symbol of the miner's struggle against the British and taxation without representation through the gold licence. But a lot happened since 1854, and although the southern cross survived unblemished as a very positive symbol until hmmm, 2005 I guess there is no doubt it has been tainted by criminals, gangs of thugs, drunk bogans at the cricket, and the 7% who have "sod* off, we're full" stickers on their utes. It's sad.

* not the actual word

They sound like Basic Rednecks, to me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I remember country-rock songs mentioning a “Southern Cross” from the 70’s, must be something else.

It is just a star constellation used in navigation, the song is about sailing. The Aussie flag depicts those stars...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crux

Doesn't keep folks from patriotic (intenionally?) misunderstanding the song though.

Edited by Fionalein

"girt" is the adjective derived from "to gird"(to put on a belt) - when you are girt you are wearing a belt. Oz is surrounded by sea hence "our home is girt by sea" - sometimes it takes a little help by German Kittens to understand the details of the English language :D

@Callum Merimanword is not silly but of old Germanic stock - slowly falling out of use, compare German Gürtel and English girdle deriving from the same root.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

@Callum Merimanword is not silly but of old Germanic stock - slowly falling out of use, compare German Gürtel and English girdle deriving from the same root.

Yep, it's one thing I notice as I slowly try and push my Deutsch above toddler level. A lot of words we use in English come from German roots.

Well, maybe not Oberaffentittengeil which will always be the #1 ultimate word.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Same limited mindsets on both sides ;)

Those wars are a thing of the past you were (for the most part) not involved in them - why would you identify with someone else's achievements? Lack of your own? Sounds like an excuse to avoid some effort ... "Gramps fought in da war so now I can feel proud too" LOL yeah...

War, occupation, economic hardship and struggle for independence is not ancient history in many countries of the world, including where I live. 

Perhaps for a powerful, peaceful, safe and prosperous country the symbolism becomes lost over time. I agree, that is sad. 

13 hours ago, ellestones said:

according to Abraham Lincoln the war was fought to stop slavers from breaking up the USA

i guess its time for some Abraham Lincoln quotes.

I'll be sure to include one or two that shows his feelings about blacks.

What's hysterical though is the last time i did the response was "figures, typical Republican"

Edited by Phorumities
added a line

17 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Nah, we see them as mostly just wankers. A fringe group of drunk and obnoxious bogans who drape themselves in the flag come invasion day and are the ones shout "Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi" at the cricket/Footy.

Not many people like them. Proven by the fact their political party of choice, one nation, only gets 7% of the vote.

I'm not referring to the Australian Southern Cross but the Confederate Southern Cross.

4 hours ago, Phorumities said:

I'm not referring to the Australian Southern Cross but the Confederate Southern Cross.

Let's see where that blind adherence to symbolism leads us:

Don't you dare defile the name Southern Cross by using it on that dixie thing ;)

Edited by Fionalein

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1994 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.