Question about billing date of tier fee

JessieHoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, I am a premium member and I paid annual premium fee of $72.00 on Sep 2. At Oct 15 I upgraded tier from default to 1/4. So I wonder when will my tier fee be charged? Nov 2 or Nov 15 or other date?

And I am using my tier to contribute to the group mainland holding. I am the only one that pays the land usage fee for our group. If my credit card is declined, what will happen? Will I have a chance to use my second payment method (such as Paypal) to pay the tier fee again? Will my group lose land if my payment fail to process? 

Thank you very much. 

10 minutes ago, JessieHoo said:

Hello, I am a premium member and I paid annual premium fee of $72.00 on Sep 2. At Oct 15 I upgraded tier from default to 1/4. So I wonder when will my tier fee be charged? Nov 2 or Nov 15 or other date?

your accountpage shows that date, we can't see that

11 minutes ago, JessieHoo said:

And I am using my tier to contribute to the group mainland holding. I am the only one that pays the land usage fee for our group. If my credit card is declined, what will happen? Will I have a chance to use my second payment method (such as Paypal) to pay the tier fee again? Will my group lose land if my payment fail to process?

you are responsible for your payment method. If billing isn't able to take the money you will get a warning at your accountpage, and later the group will get a warning on the groupsprofile to add another source of donated tier.

Your account can go on hold and won't get released before you paid all whats billed but couldn't be taken. During that time you won't be able to log inworld.

So if your know upfront your CC won't be able to cover costs, it's wiser to change it to your paypal before your account gets billed.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JessieHoo said:

So I wonder when will my tier fee be charged? Nov 2 or Nov 15 or other date?

This page tells you: https://secondlife.com/my/account/?lang=en-US

4 hours ago, JessieHoo said:

The Lab try down your list, starting with your preferred and if that fails, then they move down the list. If they all fail you won't lose your land right away, most of the time the Lab like to work with you to help you catch up. You will get an email, so make sure your account details are correct at: https://accounts.secondlife.com/change_email/?lang=en-US

If you don't pay within a reasonable time the Lab can put you on an administrative hold and you won't be able to login until the debt is cleared. There is a lot of confusion around how soon they do this, for some people it's been immediate, for others it takes longer.

6 hours ago, JessieHoo said:

Thank you very much. 

Your tier is due on the 2nd of every month (same day of the month as you went premium). You will be charged a full months tier even if you bought additional land the day before your tier date. 

5 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Your tier is due on the 2nd of every month (same day of the month as you went premium). You will be charged a full months tier even if you bought additional land the day before your tier date. 

thats only the case if OP bought land or took a Linden home at that same day. Tier doesn't start with going premium but with the start of owning land.

3 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

thats only the case if OP bought land or took a Linden home at that same day. Tier doesn't start with going premium but with the start of owning land.

I own land. I forgot what day of the month I first bought it, but my tier is due on the same day of the month as my premium membership. My annual membership is due on the 17th, my tier is due on the 17th. If I bought land for the very first time on the 16th, I'd still owe for the entire month because you are charged for maximum usage for the entire month.

2 hours ago, Phorumities said:

I own land. I forgot what day of the month I first bought it, but my tier is due on the same day of the month as my premium membership. My annual membership is due on the 17th, my tier is due on the 17th. If I bought land for the very first time on the 16th, I'd still owe for the entire month because you are charged for maximum usage for the entire month.

you mix things, your tier doesn't start the same time as your premium. It starts the moment you own your first land, and from then every month, it doesn't have, but cán run in sync

Edited by Ethan Paslong

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

you mix things, your tier doesn't start the same time as your premium. It starts the moment you own your first land, and from then every month, it doesn't have, but cán run in sync

when did i ever say tier payments starts at the same time as premium. they are two entirely different things. however your renewal date and your tier date are the same.

you dont have to believe me just go look it up

think about it my dear Ethan, the minute you go premium your land use fee page will show how much tier you owe. Until you buy land in excess of your free allowance your tier will be zero but as soon as you buy land in excess, on the next date coonciding with the billing date you WILL be charged peak usage for the entire month

Edited by Phorumities
trying to make things more clear

15 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

your renewal date and your tier date are the same.

no it's not

it cán be the same, as i said when you start being premium ánd buy your first land at the same day

but it's not when you get premium first and buy your land later
("buy" includes getting your linden home and donation to a group)

addition: if you set your tier date by getting land, this date will be always that date, even when you have periods of no landholdings, and from then you pay also for partial cycles when you buy earlier than your new billingdate.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

1 hour ago, Ethan Paslong said:

no it's not

it cán be the same, as i said when you start being premium ánd buy your first land at the same day

but it's not when you get premium first and buy your land later
("buy" includes getting your linden home and donation to a group)

addition: if you set your tier date by getting land, this date will be always that date, even when you have periods of no landholdings, and from then you pay also for partial cycles when you buy earlier than your new billingdate.

Perhaps someone, anyone can post a screenshot to back up your claim. There are no "partial months".

LOL here you go, call LL a liar if you like

Land Use Fees

The cost of land itself is based on demand and can fluctuate with the market. Check out our Purchasing Land page for different ways to acquire land.

The Land Use Fee (also known as a Tier Fee) is a monthly charge in addition to membership fees (i.e., US$ 9.50/month Premium Membership). Land use fees are billed based on the peak amount of land held during your previous 30 day billing cycle.

Premium accounts are granted a 1,024 sqm bonus lease before land use fees are applied. The chart below shows the fees for all land you hold or tier you donate beyond the 1,024 sqm bonus.

https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php

See Ethan, when you pay your monthly membership fee, you are also charged AT THE SAME TIME for any land you held during the previous month.

I really hope this clears it up for you, but somehow I doubt that it will

Edited by Phorumities
fixed a word

8 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

LOL here you go, call LL a liar if you like

Land Use Fees

The cost of land itself is based on demand and can fluctuate with the market. Check out our Purchasing Land page for different ways to acquire land.

The Land Use Fee (also known as a Tier Fee) is a monthly charge in addition to membership fees (i.e., US$ 9.50/month Premium Membership). Land use fees are billed based on the peak amount of land held during your previous 30 day billing cycle.

Premium accounts are granted a 1,024 sqm bonus lease before land use fees are applied. The chart below shows the fees for all land you hold or tier you donate beyond the 1,024 sqm bonus.

https://secondlife.com/land/pricing.php

WHERE does it say it is the same time, both billing cycles doesn't have to be syn'd .. YOU are simply not right in your statement. I AM. billing.png.5db477d867f7379a369283baa035050c.png

2 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

WHERE does it say it is the same time, both billing cycles doesn't have to be syn'd .. YOU are simply not right in your statement. I AM. billing.png.5db477d867f7379a369283baa035050c.png

Wow, look at that. You learn something new every day. My Bad

*assuming the picture isn't doctored in some way*

21 hours ago, Phorumities said:

Not true.  Way back when, I'm pretty sure LL did do it this way, but no longer.

These days, the monthly tier billing is based on the date that you first use more tier than your Premium allotment.  I know this from a variety of alts that I have created over the last year that contribute tier to my land group.  I have some alts that have donated their 1024 to my land group, but have never used more than that -- they don't even have a Tier Billing date showing on their dashboard.  The other ones are all random based on when they used enough tier to cause billing.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Not true.  Way back when, I'm pretty sure LL did do it this way, but no longer.

These days, the monthly tier billing is based on the date that you first use more tier than your Premium allotment.  I know this from a variety of alts that I have created over the last year that contribute tier to my land group.  I have some alts that have donated their 1024 to my land group, but have never used more than that -- they don't even have a Tier Billing date showing on their dashboard.  The other ones are all random based on when they used enough tier to cause billing.

Thank you :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.