Sign in to follow this  
AlleyCat Tyles

Chain Attributes

Not sure which forum would be best, so feel free to move.

I have a pole with an Xpose engine. I have obtained a plugin, Cuff / Chain Plugin for MLP & XPOSE. This allows chains between the pole and Lockmeister cuffs. Everything works fine.

The chains I am getting look a bit off. The individual links are huge. The links are spaced so close together that the chain looks more like a cylinder than a chain. What I would like to do is reduce the size of the individual links and increase the distance between links so it looks more like a chain.

The one option I do have with this plugin is I can change one of the notecards that goes with it. The item I can change is referred to as “Texture” and the number associated with it appears to be a UUID. Having done some reading on Lockmeister and chains, I have determined that my ignorance is overwhelming. I am unsure if just changing the “texture” would come close to accomplishing what I want to do.

That said, what attributes of the chain should I be looking to change? Would they only be in the scripts of the plugin itself? If changing the “texture” would work, where would I find a UUID? I have seen where Lockmeister listens to a specific channel, not sure if that would be pertinent. Again, I am out of my area of expertise.

The chain is a particle stream. The texture is the individual particle used by the particle attributes of the item set by the script. 

You might be able to use a smaller texture, smaller size image. But, that likely won't provide the result you want. You need to understand what settings the item is using for the particles and whether or not they can be changed.

To understand how to get a visually pleasing result you'll need to understand how particles work in SL. The best tutorial is at the Particle Lab.

• Like 1

As Nalates says, you'd have to edit the particle script to change the particle size.  Particles are all run by a standard script, only the variables change...but there are a lot of variables, so you can get particle effects that vary from restraint chains to chain lightning.  Plus, if the script or the item is No Modify, you might not even be able to edit the script.

I'd try contacting the creator of the chains first, see if they have a fix or an update.

With av-sitter/lockguard you do it like this:

string  CHAIN_PARAMETERS = "size 0.32 0.32 life 1.2 gravity 0 texture 6808199d-e4c8-22f9-cf8a-2d9992ab630d";

For MLP Lockguard you would do similar in the notecard.

UUID will be something like: 6808199d-e4c8-22f9-cf8a-2d9992ab630d (which is rope) although you can try using the special word chain and see if MLP obeys it.

Size is in meters X and Y, making it smaller makes the link smaller. Start at 0.1 and abjust up or down to suit the texture you use. Leave life at 1.2, it's a good number.

Thank you Natales - Yes when reading I got the impression particles were involved. Part of my question arose from the instructions provided by the plugin which follow:
"Custom Textures and Colors
You can define custom Textures and Colors for each and every animation in your item, you are not limited to one chain per item. Each situation is different, sometimes you may require a thick chain, thin chain or maybe a rope. With our system you have complete control."
Thank you Lindal - Yes, first thing I did was contact the creator. And you are correct, the script is No Modify.
Love - Unfortunately only Texture and color are in the notecard.
Callum - Yes that is what I was seeing in my readings. I just can not access the script.
What may be nice to find is a listing of UUID's for chains and try different ones out.
Thank you all.

Make sure the item is no modify. The scripts being no-modify will cause the entire item to appear no-mod. If only the script is no-mod, it can be removed and replaced. OpenCollar/Virtual Disgrace has scripts that may be good replacements.