Marketplace November Updates

Alexa Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Dakota Linden - Since you popped in, can you clarify that the "delete old MP" data is a combination of BOTH 'merchant inactive for 5 years' AND 'item not purchased for 2 years'.  Or is it an "either or" situation?  The blog post sounds like a BOTH, but wanted to be sure.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Older things can be useful sometimes, like old stuff from the days when it was all DIY and helping each other. It might look like a stupidly high LI prim monstrosity, but maybe the mod script inside is well worth the 10 lindens. I've bought things like that.

Sometimes when people stop logging in, it's not because they've lost interest but because the community has lost them in RL. I've always liked that their work could live on.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:
36 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It must be a very difficult job for the MP Lindens to determine what is both fair and beneficial for the SL world at large...I don't envy their job at all.

They should always feel free to ask. As they periodically do.

But what if LL's bottom line is in conflict with what we want.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

@Dakota Linden - Since you popped in, can you clarify that the "delete old MP" data is a combination of BOTH 'merchant inactive for 5 years' AND 'item not purchased for 2 years'.  Or is it an "either or" situation?  The blog post sounds like a BOTH, but wanted to be sure.

Hi Jewel!

I do not have any information regarding the changes that are in the works. 

I will however, pass along your request for clarification to the team. 

Edited by Dakota Linden
dang typos! LOL
  • Thanks 3

• Moderators

Okay.. Good news!

I was able to ping the team, and they were awesome enough to provide some clarification.

The simple answer: both.  

If a merchant has not logged into Second Life in 5 years, and if they have items on the Marketplace that have not sold in 2 years, those unsold items will be unlisted. 

If you are an active user, even if you have items on the Marketplace that have not sold in 2 years, nothing will happen, since you are an active user. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

1 hour ago, Dakota Linden said:

If you are an active user, even if you have items on the Marketplace that have not sold in 2 years, nothing will happen, since you are an active user.

Jumps up and down and does the happy dance.

Thank you so much for the clarification. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2018 at 8:50 AM, Alexa Linden said:

Happy Thursday everyone!  We're got a great list of November Marketplace updates to share with you.  In case you missed it, read all about them here Marketplace November Updates

* It's a sad thought to think we soon won't be able to buy the items of people who pass on.
* Still no "don't show me gatchas" toggle :(  Please consider this, it's really needed.

Let me show why it's needed Alexa....

b48a6004337e181dc8b0e74ff37e219a.thumb.png.fa581f1a39247dae3785c9bd2f787eb6.png

and 18 items down the gatchas start....

8939a85fdeff74f2feae381c1f02f98a.thumb.png.1beff40cb5277108115a676e2564a23e.png

The gatchas then go on for pages and pages and pages.

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

* It's a sad thought to think we soon won't be able to buy the items of people who pass on.
* Still no "don't show me gatchas" toggle :(  Please consider this, it's really needed.

Let me show why it's needed Alexa....

and 18 items down the gatchas start....

The gatchas then go on for pages and pages and pages.

But now, if you get bored, you can spend time reporting them all because now they at least have their own category and thus need to be moved there

• Like 1

There should be a notice on the store pages, showing the date of the last owner login, or something like that. So we do not need to research whether the creator of the product is still logging in, giving support, etc. 5 years without logging in is too long! A few months is already dangerous!
I'm not going to mention names of celebrities who created things that were expensive and interesting, but that disappeared and only billed together with LL. Others who do very simple and cheap things are active and supportive.
At the end of things, what counts is money.!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't know how much I agree with delisting objects. Sure the SL market has a ton of crapware that skews up search results but there are some seriously nifty gems hidden away on that marketplace that I come across occasionally and it saddens me a little to think they might vanish from the marketplace entirely. Especially if they are never to return if the creator has passed away or given up on SL entirely. Whilst we still have creators in SL, the pool of creators that create unique and interesting content that isn't a resale of a full perm item, a game ripped model or a duplicate of another developers creation isn't exactly gigantic. Even in world, most of the sims I visit are just one or two variations away from being exactly the same as another sim because rather than "create your own world" the players would rather just buy from the same set of developers over and over again. If LL are really going to start delisting products, even if they are old, then we need to start encouraging more people engage creatively with SL to start producing new products for other avatars to purchase. Sadly, I don't think that will happen all that much due to the massive learning curve required. Just my thoughts tho.

However, I do agree with anything that removes f***** gachas out of search results. Gacha IMO are the ultimate con products in SL.

• Like 1

Love gachas. Please don't mess with them. I don't have a problem with having a toggle to turn it off for those who have trouble using "NOT". But gachas rock!!

By the way, I have no vested interest in keeping gachas as is. I do not sell any gachas. But I dearly love shopping for gachas in the MP.

Edited by Blush Bravin

54 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Love gachas. Please don't mess with them. I don't have a problem with having a toggle to turn it off for those who have trouble using "NOT". But gachas rock!!

By the way, I have no vested interest in keeping gachas as is. I do not sell any gachas. But I dearly love shopping for gachas in the MP.

On marketplace is one thing. You can usually get what you are looking for at a reasonable price tho I do hate it when the skew up search and welcome their removal to their own sub section. In world however, Gacha are a con, especially when it comes to events like The Arcade. You walk round, spend thousands and at the end have spent more trying to get those rares than if you had bought it outright from the creator as a sole product or set. Gacha are a money grab masquerading as a fun game.

P.S he did use NOT. Look at his image, gacha still showed up

Edited by chibiusa Ling

24 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

P.S he did use NOT. Look at his image, gacha still showed up

He spelled gacha wrong. If he will do it again, I tested it, the results will be much more to his liking, though not perfect, but much better than when spelling it gatcha.

• Like 3

I do not like the new category for gacha items, unless that category gets broken up into quite a few sub-categories. 

28 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

You walk round, spend thousands and at the end have spent more trying to get those rares than if you had bought it outright from the creator as a sole product or set.

I'd love to respond to this but this thread isn't for people's opinions about gachas.

46 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

He spelled gacha wrong. If he will do it again, I tested it, the results will be much more to his liking, though not perfect, but much better than when spelling it gatcha.

I told him about the typo a couple of days ago.  He realised and repeated the search and told me the results were the same but I am sure he can wake up later and let us know :) 

33 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I told him about the typo a couple of days ago.  He realised and repeated the search and told me the results were the same but I am sure he can wake up later and let us know :) 

I suppose search results can vary from person to person, so I'm not sure if my experience and his would be the same. When I did the search this morning I had lots of pages of items without interference from gacha items.

• Moderators

Greetings all!

If you do not want to see any Gacha's, you can type 'NOT GACHA' in the keyword search box and this will work IF the seller put Gacha in any of the searchable fields on the list, and they spelled it Gacha. 

Alternately, you can choose to see only items that are Copy Enabled (Gacha items are no copy) by putting a checkmark in the Copy option under Permissions in the section on the left of the page after you do your search, again, assuming the seller actually listed the permissions correctly on their listing.  

Unfortunately, using the copy only option will eliminate all standard No Copy items from the search.

• Like 1

I can't say that I have seen a marked increase in Marketplace sales since the change, but some "unusual" items have sold which is interesting :D. 

What I really wanted to mention was that just now I sold three items to three different people (one was a Gossipgirl and that made me smile) and they were from the Japanese speaking folks. Now I was over there in the Japanese section of the Marketplace this afternoon (I didn't actually even know there WAS a Japanese section)  shopping for something (I found it in the inworld shop but not on the Marketplace).

LATER:  OK as I woke up I realized that my LANGUAGE had been changed on the Marketplace. Apparently when I went to look at a store by a Japanese creator the not so smart website decided to change my viewing (and reports) to Japanese.   So this had NOTHING to do with the Marketplace changes. 

Edited by Chic Aeon

• Moderators
10 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I can't say that I have seen a marked increase in Marketplace sales since the change, but some "unusual" items have sold which is interesting :D. 

What I really wanted to mention was that just now I sold three items to three different people (one was a Gossipgirl and that made me smile) and they were from the Japanese speaking folks. Now I was over there in the Japanese section of the Marketplace this afternoon (I didn't actually even know there WAS a Japanese section)  shopping for something (I found it in the inworld shop but not on the Marketplace).

LATER:  OK as I woke up I realized that my LANGUAGE had been changed on the Marketplace. Apparently when I went to look at a store by a Japanese creator the not so smart website decided to change my viewing (and reports) to Japanese.   So this had NOTHING to do with the Marketplace changes. 

Hi Chic!

The Marketplace offers 6 localisations.  These can be seen by clicking on the Language option (the world map) when you are on the Marketplace web site. (top left of the web page)

When a seller creates a Product Listing, these same localisations are available as Language Tabs on the Edit Product Listing page. The default is English.

If you click on a URL link to a Marketplace Product Listing, if the link was copied while the person was using one of the localisations, then that language option will be shown in the URL and you will end up viewing the listing, and all further MKT pages, in that language until you change back to your preferred language.

As an example:

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Kyle-Linden-Bear-2011-Direct-Delivery/2155126

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/de-DE/p/Kyle-Linden-Bear-2011-Direct-Delivery/2155126?lang=de-DE

Both links are to the exact same listing, the first link is the default (English) and the second link is how it will show when the person who copied the link was viewing the Marketplace in German.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I don't care if i'd see only gachas, ehem, but why if i search something from the store, then after the search it automatically goes to items search wich will search again from the entire marketplace?

Why won't stay in the store?

51 minutes ago, Ansiri said:

I don't care if i'd see only gachas, ehem, but why if i search something from the store, then after the search it automatically goes to items search wich will search again from the entire marketplace?

Why won't stay in the store?

I think it's a new bug. It wasn't like that before, that's for sure. Would be really nice if it got fixed in december update or earlier.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.