Marketplace November Updates

Alexa Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Thanks!

My favorite: 

“Additionally, we’ve started cleaning up some older listings. Only merchants who have not logged in in five years were affected, and only those items which have not sold within two years”

A gacha category should be popular with many.

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

i think the removal could get a lot tighter.. not sold in a year.. no matter if the seller logged in ...

I'd  go for the seller not logged in for a year kick them out then care about item not sold for a year.  I just feel its wrong if you haven't logged in, how the hell are you there to provide customer support.   Kick 'em out :)  They will soon log in if the sales dry up. 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

Not that I'm a seller, but I'm curious to understand this as I quite like some of the 'older' items ..

If an item sells one piece, is it then safe for further 12 months, providing the seller has been active in the past 5 years?

Yeah  that's the impression I got from it

1 hour ago, Candice LittleBoots said:

Not that I'm a seller, but I'm curious to understand this as I quite like some of the 'older' items ..

If an item sells one piece, is it then safe for further 12 months, providing the seller has been active in the past 5 years?

I am a seller and the way I see it, if an item hasn't sold for two years I probably want to take it down anyway and I'm only happy to let LL do the job for me.

One year may be a bit too short though. It may work for "fashion items", the kind that sells a lot at first but then fades out. But for "slow and steady sellers" it may well take months before they sell a single copy. I have a mesh hedge that is a very good example. I don't think I sold a single copy of it for more than half a year. But the moment somebody noticed it and rezzed it in-world for others to see, it started to take off and today, three years later, it's my best seller.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3

My thoughts, for what it's worth. If a store owner hasn't logged in for over a year all their products should be pulled. That's one full year of no customer support. Nuff said!

As to how often a product sells for me is irrelevant as long as the store owner is active in SL. 

55 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

But for "slow and steady sellers" it may well take months before they sell a single copy.

I have items that sell in spurts. It might be months where I don't see the product selling but then something changes in the market, due to various reasons, and that product will start selling again.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3

as the removal of marketplace items is a substantial change then I think the - 5 years no login and only items not sold for 2 years removal policy - is a fairly balanced approach even if a little bit conservative. It could be lowered at some time in the future but as a first step I think is ok

Quote:

“Additionally, we’ve started cleaning up some older listings. Only merchants who have not logged in in five years were affected, and only those items which have not sold within two years. If you find that your listings have unlisted, please file a Jira and we’ll look into it presently.”

So, so far we have some customer orientated updates (Wishlist/Favorite stores), some marketplace organization improvements (Gachas/ Anthropomorphic/ Animated Objects categories and “Anime” community), very long list of fixes, and the one and only merchant orientated update that is actually … against merchants!? Am I missing something in here?

In the meantime Furry community is screaming for an appropriate categories so their items don’t get flagged and removed, merchants are begging on their knees for ban function and possibility to have multiply shops under same avatar, there was Merchant Survey Requirement on this forum in March this year considering new MP Features that brought some great ideas, and what we are getting as merchants is items removal.

Why is this a problem?

While I can support decision on removing merchants that are no longer active in Second Life (as that is my understanding of “not logged in in five years”), and therefore probably lost interest in SL, removing items from the active merchants listing is not always good idea, as MP sales are not actually showing the demand. For example:  if someone wants to purchase certain animation, and find it on MP, and if there is a link to in world shop, in the most cases customer will visit the in world shop and try animation on demo stand, and in most cases will purchase it from the shop vendor. So there IS demand for an item, even it is not purchased on Marketplace.

So, once again we are not communicating.  I don’t understand … I really don’t ?

• Like 3

I agree about things that may be listed on MP but intended to be sold where the demo is — inworld.  Many of my listings encourage ppl to go inworld to try things out.

Also, I agree about the ability to ban buyers from my MP store as I can inworold. I should have some ability to refuse to do business with any kind of dishonest or abusive person. 

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

Also, I agree about the ability to ban buyers from my MP store as I can inworold. I should have some ability to refuse to do business with any kind of dishonest or abusive person. 

is a difficult one this at this time I think, as LL seem to see the MP as their department store and allow sellers shelf space

perhaps one day they might take up the idea (presented by lots of people before now) of renting shop space as in shopping mall, where the shop keeper can take full control of their shop space. Skin it, prevent other shop keepers from advertising in their shop, ban lists like you say. etc

would be quite good that I think, a shopping mall option in addition to the current department store, as a new revenue source. Is a bit like the difference between mainland and estate regions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

if someone wants to purchase certain animation, and find it on MP, and if there is a link to in world shop, in the most cases customer will visit the in world shop and try animation on demo stand, and in most cases will purchase it from the shop vendor. So there IS demand for an item, even it is not purchased on Marketplace.

Very good point. As a consumer, I know I nearly always will go to the in-world shop to complete my purchase once I find something while window-shopping the marketplace.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

removing items from the active merchants listing is not always good idea, as MP sales are not actually showing the demand. For example:  if someone wants to purchase certain animation, and find it on MP, and if there is a link to in world shop, in the most cases customer will visit the in world shop and try animation on demo stand, and in most cases will purchase it from the shop vendor. So there IS demand for an item, even it is not purchased on Marketplace.

I can confirm that for me most of your animations discovered on the MP were purchased in-world after making sure they worked well for my project. If most people purchase in this fashion as well I can easily imagine in time very few of your items would be visible on the MP.

For me, quite a few of my higher-priced items (that took months in some cases to create, and so I don't sell them cheap), do not sell within that 2-year time limit.

Also there are items on the MP (sometimes unique or appealing to a select few) that just don't sell very often, yet the purchasers of those items are glad they are available.

Perhaps extending the time out further beyond the 2-year limit would be better?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RohanaRaven Zerbino said:

So there IS demand for an item, even it is not purchased on Marketplace.

The way I have understood it, you are active  (ie don't fall into the 5 year range)  and therefore they won't be looking at your 2 year old items that may have been selling inworld and not the MP.    I hope I am right

Edited by Cindy Evanier
typo
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I wonder if a merchant could buy a copy of their own item to qualify as a “sale”.

If not, there are always alts. ;)

But if they do something like that, they must be keeping an eye on their MP store. If I understand correctly, the idea is to get rid of the abandoned stores and listings, the ones that are jsut cluttering up the searhc lsitings and not doing anybody any good.

• Like 1

The statement “Additionally, we’ve started cleaning up some older listings. Only merchants who have not logged in in five years were affected, and only those items which have not sold within two years. If you find that your listings have unlisted, please file a Jira and we’ll look into it presently.”

I hope means:

- Merchants that have not logged on in 5 years will have items that have not sold within 2 years removed.

- Active Merchants would not be affected. BUT, if for some reason an active Merchant's item (that hasn't sold in 2 years) is unlisted during the clean-up, they should file a JIRA to report that the clean-up is affecting active and inactive Merchants.

It wouldn't make sense to tell a Merchant who hasn't logged in for 5 years to file a JIRA.

I totally agree the statement needs clarification.

Edited by Arwen Serpente
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Arwen Serpente said:

Merchants that have not logged on in 5 years will have items that have not sold within 2 years removed.

I believe it is this and only this. If you are still active and have an item that hasn't sold in five years it should still be safe. LL always errs on the safe side. They always have and I'm sure always will.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I wonder if a merchant could buy a copy of their own item to qualify as a “sale”.

If a Merchant does this, and they are caught, the item will be removed anyway for violating the Marketplace Listing Guidelines. 

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/listing_guidelines#abusive-behavior

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1940 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.