For everyone in SL who use Flickr

Jeny Howlett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Flickr is a big deal for me because i transfer all creators ads from Flickr to my FB Fashion Feed. Its fast and easy, If the ads are now going to be scattered  all over the place as on instagram ect i don't even know how ill manage to keep up with it. Because i do have a RL. 

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Strip that out, and you're left with "I don't have Flickr so Flickr can burn."

Works for me...

It's actually quite annoying...

"Hi customers, we're having a snapshot contest to win a free copy of our latest product! This contest is only open to customers that use self-entitled-head-up-arse-bastards.net..."

Are they allowed to do that, yes, is it fair to their customers that don't use that particular "social arseware" site, no. 

Go back and look at this thread again...

"Oh WOE! The universe is ending because some social arseware using idiot misread an announcement on a social arseware site and started a pointless petition to complain about a non-problem!"

This sort of crap is why I don't use ArseBook, or Splatter, or Pucker, or any of them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Works for me...

It's actually quite annoying...

"Hi customers, we're having a snapshot contest to win a free copy of our latest product! This contest is only open to customers that use self-entitled-head-up-arse-bastards.net..."

Are they allowed to do that, yes, is it fair to their customers that don't use that particular "social arseware" site, no. 

Go back and look at this thread again...

"Oh WOE! The universe is ending because some social arseware using idiot misread an announcement on a social arseware site and started a pointless petition to complain about a non-problem!"

This sort of crap is why I don't use ArseBook, or Splatter, or Pucker, or any of them.

The giveaways are about free advertising. By getting you to fave and comment, anyone that checks your faved photos will now see my advert there. Individually meaningless, sure, but once you get thousands to do so, that's a fair amount of extra exposure. Certainly worth one copy of a virtual product. I prefer to think of it as a lottery ticket that you pay for with endorsement and exposure, it's certainly not actually charity.

Edit: it's more effective with Facebook, as the giveaways ask you to share the advert, thus exposing all of your innocent friends to the ad.

Edited by AyelaNewLife
Clarification
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Googling shows that there are a few ways, but none seem very easy - i.e. quite a few steps involved.

I always save my SL photos to my computer before uploading to Flickr anyway.  Often I will crop photos or sometimes fix lighting a bit, but mostly I want the photos saved to my computer as a backup.  In this case, if I did not have a Pro account, I still wouldn't need to worry about downloading my pics before they deleted them because I already have them all.  Ditto, if I ever decide to leave Flickr.

Thank you, I already googled, there are supposed to be some official apps, but for Win 8 and higher, not for my old Win 7.  I also checked my old Insta and it still has 600 followers O.0 They would probably expect me to answer or give them faves back ?.... and thats not what I'm lookig for with my RL pics.

I just want nice portfolio and option to show it to my SL / RL friends and family without being really sociable on the platform. If someone is interested about something like that as alternative to Flickr, free Wordpress has 3GB and some nice looking "portfolio" type themes for free as well (IMHO they look better than Instagram).

I use really small files, my 800+ photos is only about 720MB, so I think its way to go for me. (I would link the theme gallery, but I'm not sure if its not against forum rules ...)

5 hours ago, loverdag said:

Is there some comfortable way how to upload pictures stored on computer (not phone) to Instagram?

If you use Chrome, yes. Install the User Agent Switcher for Chrome extension. Then, whenever you want to upload to Instagram, click the toolbar icon and select either Android KitKat or iPhone 6/iPad as your new User Agent. Your browser tab will reload and you'll see the upload '+' sign at the bottom. Click it, browse to the photo you want to upload, and - once it's uploaded - just scroll to the lower left of the image and click the icon below:

insta_fit.png.bd91119c36ab3edb10e4ce7d1e933c33.png

That will fit the image to the upload window. Click 'Next' at the top right, add your text, tags, etc, and then click 'Share'. Simple :)

Important: Remember to change your User Agent back to Chrome Default as soon as you're done, otherwise every tab will start displaying the mobile version of any websites that you visit.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Googling shows that there are a few ways, but none seem very easy - i.e. quite a few steps involved.

I always save my SL photos to my computer before uploading to Flickr anyway.  Often I will crop photos or sometimes fix lighting a bit, but mostly I want the photos saved to my computer as a backup.  In this case, if I did not have a Pro account, I still wouldn't need to worry about downloading my pics before they deleted them because I already have them all.  Ditto, if I ever decide to leave Flickr.

The only reason I was concerned with grabbing what few images I currently have on Flickr was because I don't have them on this PC*. Now that I have them on this PC I can copy them over to my external storage. Backup mission accomplished. :D

*The originals are buried somewhere on an older computer.

35 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Not true. See Inara's article on the Flickr change. https://modemworld.me/2018/11/01/flickr-announces-significant-account-changes/

Yes, and it's already been debunked on pages 1, 2, and 3 of this thread, with a screenshot from the CEO of Flickr stating the below:

flickr_sl_photography.PNG.68d75da4a54f50a0744645cdfc4bd439.PNG

What Inara has missed detailing further in her post, though, is that grandfathered accounts were only ever supposed to have been for 2 years, and they (we, since I'm one of them) actually had three years at the old price. Back in August there was an announcement from Flickr that grandfathered accounts would - when they came up for renewal - be subject to current Pro account prices, which meant a doubling in cost. My October 2018 renewal was $49.99, which - considering that I use the site daily and it hosts 3,413 photos of mine (all of which I happily hotlink on this forum, thereby using Flickr's bandwidth) - is something I don't mind paying for.

Edited by Skell Dagger
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jeny Howlett said:

i wrote that before it was clarified by Flickrs CEO, now let's move on please

I'd edit your first post, people (understandably) aren't reading all the posts in the thread so end up repeating the same correction over and over again, you'll probably get notifications in July for exactly the same thing :P

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I'd edit your first post, people (understandably) aren't reading all the posts in the thread so end up repeating the same correction over and over again, you'll probably get notifications in July for exactly the same thing :P

can't edit anymore. oh they can argue for brownie points and pat on each others back i am outta here :D

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 1

Interesting article by photographer Thomas Hawk, on Flickr's decision: http://thomashawk.com/2018/11/why-limiting-free-users-to-1000-photos-on-flickr-is-a-smart-move.html

Excerpt:

Besides the obvious business model reasons why this is a smart decision for Flickr and their users, there are other important reasons this makes Flickr better as well. One of the things I noticed after Flickr began offering 1 terabyte for free to users was that many users simply began using Flickr as a backup site for all of their photos. Instead of sharing their best photos with a community, they simply dumped everything on their hard drive to Flickr and left and went away. These photos were then indexed for search and populated the service littering it with low quality content (screengrabs, 1,000 bad photos in a row of fireworks, 3,000 poorly composed photos in a row of somebody’s sister’s wedding, etc.). By focusing Flickr’s vision on photo sharing and community rather than simply another online photo backup dump this makes the visual experience better for those of us who are actually there to share photos and engage with each other.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

Interesting article by photographer Thomas Hawk, on Flickr's decision: http://thomashawk.com/2018/11/why-limiting-free-users-to-1000-photos-on-flickr-is-a-smart-move.html

Excerpt:

Besides the obvious business model reasons why this is a smart decision for Flickr and their users, there are other important reasons this makes Flickr better as well. One of the things I noticed after Flickr began offering 1 terabyte for free to users was that many users simply began using Flickr as a backup site for all of their photos. Instead of sharing their best photos with a community, they simply dumped everything on their hard drive to Flickr and left and went away. These photos were then indexed for search and populated the service littering it with low quality content (screengrabs, 1,000 bad photos in a row of fireworks, 3,000 poorly composed photos in a row of somebody’s sister’s wedding, etc.). By focusing Flickr’s vision on photo sharing and community rather than simply another online photo backup dump this makes the visual experience better for those of us who are actually there to share photos and engage with each other.

The best part is, you get this in the SL photography community too :D

I agree with that article, and with the changes as a whole. My main issue is with the deletion of older photos for those with free accounts. I'd much prefer the account was simply locked from adding new photos, potentially delisting and hiding the old photos too, but not actual deletion. The "relapsed Pro account" issue is a real concern; but even older free accounts that exceeded the 1,000 limit before this was announced shouldn't suffer content deletion IMO.

(There's a good chance the "relapsed Pro account" issue has been covered by the CEO in the resulting threads, and I've just not seen it yet)

4 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

The best part is, you get this in the SL photography community too :D

I agree with that article, and with the changes as a whole. My main issue is with the deletion of older photos for those with free accounts. I'd much prefer the account was simply locked from adding new photos, potentially delisting and hiding the old photos too, but not actual deletion. The "relapsed Pro account" issue is a real concern; but even older free accounts that exceeded the 1,000 limit before this was announced shouldn't suffer content deletion IMO.

(There's a good chance the "relapsed Pro account" issue has been covered by the CEO in the resulting threads, and I've just not seen it yet)

I believe that they are implementing a lock first, before they start deletions, and there is several months before that takes effect.  Hopefully they will be making several attempts at notifying users that might not visit the site often (especially those with over 1000 photos) before the automatic deletion process starts. 

37 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

I believe that they are implementing a lock first, before they start deletions, and there is several months before that takes effect.  Hopefully they will be making several attempts at notifying users that might not visit the site often (especially those with over 1000 photos) before the automatic deletion process starts. 

The timeline was in tiny print after the basic announcement.  Roughly the following:

The current free accounts have until January 8, 2019 to upgrade to Pro and if they don't and they are over the limit of 1000 pictures, then they won't be able to upload any more.  After February 5, 2019 Flickr/Smug will start actively deleting the older content of the free accounts until they are down to the 1000 picture limit.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

What Inara has missed detailing further in her post, though, is that grandfathered accounts were only ever supposed to have been for 2 years, and they (we, since I'm one of them) actually had three years at the old price. Back in August there was an announcement from Flickr that grandfathered accounts would - when they came up for renewal - be subject to current Pro account prices, which meant a doubling in cost. My October 2018 renewal was $49.99, which - considering that I use the site daily and it hosts 3,413 photos of mine (all of which I happily hotlink on this forum, thereby using Flickr's bandwidth) - is something I don't mind paying for.

I don't mind paying a larger fee.  I have pictures on there back to my early SL days, over a decade ago.  Given that though, I made a wise decision on my last renewal.  When my renewal came due this past March, I paid for 2 years, so I won't hit the increased fee until March 2020.

21 minutes ago, Heathernorton said:

is this 1000 photo limit going to impact that many SL users? I did a quick glance of ppl i follow and none of them had over 1000 photos,

i did not see if this would impact group though. there are many groups with over 1000 photos

I did a sampling of those that I follow.  I only found a couple with just over or just under 1000 that are not already Pro.

11 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

The giveaways are about free advertising. By getting you to fave and comment, anyone that checks your faved photos will now see my advert there. Individually meaningless, sure, but once you get thousands to do so, that's a fair amount of extra exposure. Certainly worth one copy of a virtual product. I prefer to think of it as a lottery ticket that you pay for with endorsement and exposure, it's certainly not actually charity.

Edit: it's more effective with Facebook, as the giveaways ask you to share the advert, thus exposing all of your innocent friends to the ad.

Soooo Flickr is an advertising platform and no photo platform after all? Sorry if I'm not boot licker enough to register to look at some ads in exchange for a microscopic change to win some new shiny in return. 

Edited by Fionalein

2 hours ago, Fionalein said:

Soooo Flickr is an advertising platform and no photo platform after all? Sorry if I'm not boot licker enough to register to look at some ads in exchange for a microscopic change to win some new shiny in return. 

It’s not. Most people do those types of promos on Facebook and Instagram.

Flickr was kind of a catch all for pretty much anything. You’d get ads, sure. If you followed a designer. It was mostly bloggers and photographers though from SL. 

Already a lot of bloggers and designers are jumping ship and putting up links to Instagram. It’s going to be an interesting couple of months seeing how things shake out.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.