For everyone in SL who use Flickr

Jeny Howlett

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there! Today, Flickr put out an announcement, requesting that users report any photos that aren't Real Life photography. This will be removing thousands upon thousands of creator art in secondlife, photography, blog posts, and it will also rid the Flickr community of several thousand Pro accounts. On top of this, those without pro accounts will have a max of 1000 photos available. that means any with photos higher than this, Flickr will remove images going from oldest to newest.

This petition is in hope that they'd notice this, and hopefully change the rules and hear us out. Flickr is a home for so many of our artists in the virtual community to share their inspirations. Please don't take that away from us

***Edit***
currently, we are having several people also reach out through their contact form. While it does not specifically state SECONDLIFE, this is them requesting only actual photography. This petition is to help SL artists and designers be noticed, as well as to see if they will give us answers. Even if this does not count for sl photographers, this will still hurt many blog posts or designers ads, being reported and removed

(Author: Cassie Middles)

https://www.flickr.com/lookingahead

Please Sign this Petition!

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Sad 3

8 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Are you serious?

That sucks.....I hope LL is coming up with an Alternative.

Yes, very serious. Flickr wants photography only with cameras. Virtual Art will be marked as SPAM!

Edited by Jeny Howlett

4 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I have two flickr accounts and neither of them got this announcement. Are you sure it's this isn't a scam of some kind?

Announcement

"Flickr is not a place for people who have nothing to do with photography to sell things or otherwise influence our members. Our goal with all of the efforts described above is to create the best experience possible for you on Flickr."

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I have two flickr accounts and neither of them got this announcement. Are you sure it's this isn't a scam of some kind?

I had to actually go and look for it.  I scrolled down on the right side of my landing page for flicker.  I still can't see the call to report pictures there though

ETA  I can now from the announcement link jenny just posted 

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ethan Paslong said:

when i log on the page with the link in my profile i don't either, but when typing flickr's url i see the announcements

I think I am mad because I can't actually see wording asking to report particular types of picks.  just spam

KEEP CALM AND DON'T PANIC!!! ZOMG!!!11!!1!

:)

No, no, no. I wouldn't worry about it. Else they wouldn't have a "Screenshots" category for one thing. The panic happened when the OP read this line:

Flickr is not a place for people who have nothing to do with photography to sell things or otherwise influence our members. 

This is pretty clear in terms of what they are describing and screenshots of SL or other games and MMO  and whatnot will likely not fall into this realm. No screenshot of a computer image is used to "sell things" or generally "influence" members.

• Like 1

guys i edited the original post :

***Edit***
currently, we are having several people also reach out through their contact form. While it does not specifically state SECONDLIFE, this is them requesting only actual photography. This petition is to help SL artists and designers be noticed, as well as to see if they will give us answers. Even if this does not count for sl photographers, this will still hurt many blog posts or designers ads, being reported and removed

Edited by Jeny Howlett

4 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I think I am mad because I can't actually see wording asking to report particular types of picks.  just spam

Your help can make all the difference.
Our supportive community has been great at reporting spam and other abuses of the Flickr site. We know that our new partnerships and tools will make a big difference on this front as well. At the same time, if you happen to see members or content that feel wrong for the Flickr community, click on the Report Abuse link at the bottom of any page to report it immediately. Our Trust and Safety department will investigate and take action right away.

not in specific SL but general reporting ... it's in this blogpost ...follow the "blog" at the bttm of the pages, but i seriously wonder if it will hurt SL users

https://blog.flickr.net/en/2018/10/31/we-cant-stand-spam-either/

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 1

Just now, Jeny Howlett said:

this is them requesting only actual photography.

No it is not. It is them stating "having nothing to do with photography" - that is NOT the same as you are reading into it.

If it happens (it will NOT) then I will eat my words. Until then, enough with the ridiculous hysterics, already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

If you don't want to sign then don't do it but please don't turn this into a battle who is right  and wrong. We are worried and want some answers from Flickr themselves! This petition was made to help us get noticed by them!

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Flickr allows you to set your image to "Photo", "Screenshot" or "Other - art, illustration, CGI etc", so I don't think that Flickr will be removing all none RL photographs.

Screenshot_2.png.a51c3d004b6bdf5d3b5c67aa6ec330cb.png

thanks 

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1939 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.