Jump to content
livb89

Land for sale is under water

Recommended Posts

Maybe the answer "yes" is a given, but I want to be sure. I have found a parcel for sale in an area I like but when I TP to it there is no land there! Just sea.

If I buy this land will I be able to use the build tool to build the sea bed up till it is above sea level? (i.e. so I have some land!)

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, livb89 said:

Maybe the answer "yes" is a given, but I want to be sure. I have found a parcel for sale in an area I like but when I TP to it there is no land there! Just sea.

If I buy this land will I be able to use the build tool to build the sea bed up till it is above sea level? (i.e. so I have some land!)

Thanks

yes, because under the water is land... for easier building/rezzing most people put a platform at the water level( if you don't plan to live underwater:)
the only difference is that the level of the land is below the water line, most land is normally above it, even under mountains there's mostly water at 20 meter..you only can't reach it with the limits set on terraforming.

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ethan Paslong

Oh OK that's interesting, thank you. I wasn't sure whether there were Linden-controlled restrictions on what places could be land vs sea, to control the coastline so to speak. There are a few platforms around the parcel that is for sale so I could do that too.

As a side point: So there are limits on terraforming then (or can be in some places)? I assume that must mean a maximum and minimum land height for any given parcel.

Thanks

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, livb89 said:

I assume that must mean a maximum and minimum land height for any given parcel.

 

here are some limits:

Terraforming limits:

Most mainland can be raised/lowered by 4 meters (+/-).

Some mainland cannot be terraformed, including: Bay City regions, Boardman, Brown, De Haro, Horizons, Kama City regions, Nautilus City regions, Nova Albion regions, and Shermerville regions.

Linden Homes do not allow terraforming.

A few, very old mainland Regions like Da Boom have a terraform range of 40 meters (+/-).

Estate (private island) terraformability is settable to a maximum of 100 meters (+/-) by the estate owner or managers.

Maximum water height: 100 meters using inworld controls, 255 meters by using a *.raw file upload.

Region water height is usually 20 meters, and adjacent regions should have the same water height, or else they will look discontinuous.

Maximum terrain height: 255 meters using inworld controls (mainland limit), 510 meters by using a *.raw file upload.

find more here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Limits

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

Most mainland can be raised/lowered by 4 meters (+/-).

Thanks for the info. The ground (seabed) is at 0 metres and the sea level is 20 metres. I can see in the region details confirm a terrain raise and lower limit of +/- 4m. So with a terraforming limit of 4 metres I guess this means I can't build the seabed up and would only be allowed to make a "floating" platform. 

But oddly some of the surrounding parcels do have blocks of land coming up from the seabed and above the water. (the location is http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ten Pages/228/175/24 )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, livb89 said:

But oddly ..

not odd :) .. the land isn't a flat pancake, it's sloped under water as much as it is in the mountains /hills, possibly it's within the +/- 4 meters range
also it's possible you see mesh landscaping objects that looks like it's land.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh, kinda buried the lede there: Auctions are back! That's an auction parcel in the first batch for a long time. (Looks like the auctions page maps are still pretty broken, though.)

Yes it is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

mesh landscaping objects that looks like it's land.

Yes I think they are that probably. Different texture now i look carefully.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure the original question has actually been answered, so I will put in my 2 cents. When buying Mainland, you should plan to take it pretty much as is - usually you can only go 4 meters up or down, and sea level is usually 20 meters or more below the land. That being said, you can always put an "island" on the water or a house on stilts. If it is a nice spot, don't let it being under water bother you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Skyspinner Soulstar said:

not sure the original question has actually been answered

read the posts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Triple post?

well.. he asks for the original, so i would think it would be thé place to start if the question was answered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

well.. he asks for the original, so i would think it would be thé place to start if the question was answered.

Sorry, I saw 3 now 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To clear up any doubt - I considered the question well and truly answered, thanks Ethan.

(Incidentally I ended up buying a different parcel in the auction, got a great deal!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2018 at 6:13 AM, livb89 said:

Thanks for the info. The ground (seabed) is at 0 metres and the sea level is 20 metres. I can see in the region details confirm a terrain raise and lower limit of +/- 4m. So with a terraforming limit of 4 metres I guess this means I can't build the seabed up and would only be allowed to make a "floating" platform. 

But oddly some of the surrounding parcels do have blocks of land coming up from the seabed and above the water. (the location is http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Ten Pages/228/175/24 )

 

maybe they  rezzed a prim on the seafloor and and stretched it above sea level. people do that when they are too lazy to show even a modicum of creativity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×