Login Servers having issues?

Lina Pussycat

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Most companies hire decent network engineers, develop contingency plans to minimize downtime, as well as creating partnerships with 3rd party companies who may be better suited at preventing larger scale attacks. All of which linden labs doesn't seem to be investing in... instead lets start some cool new game. *ends rant*

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Melissa4307 said:

Most companies hire decent network engineers, develop contingency plans to minimize downtime, as well as creating partnerships with 3rd party companies who may be better suited at preventing larger scale attacks. All of which linden labs doesn't seem to be investing in... instead lets start some cool new game. *ends rant*

How do you know the Lab dosn't? They have a tradition of keeping a low profile, and btw, who cares if they announce " we hired Jimmy now a network enineer" There would be just as much Boo and Hiss in that case as is now.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

Just now, Fionalein said:

How do you know the Lab dosn't? They have a tradition of leeping a low profile, and btw, who cares if they announce " we hired Jimmy now a network enineer" There would be just as much Boo and Hiss in that case as is now.

A good network engineer wouldn't be enough as I stated other methods as well. I know they haven't because this would not have been an ongoing issue for almost a week now. A day sure... adapt make changes. But at this point I think its very clearly not much has changed.

• Haha 1

Yes, it's actually more than the fourth time, but at this stage who's counting?  This time I am in the barrel, having been lucky enough to not have been affected thus far.

DDoS prevention is one thing but I wonder if what we are seeing now is the result of servers having actually being damaged by the huge influx of requests that DDoS involves?

It is becoming a worry that LL and their partners cannot seem to inoculate against these attacks. 

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

DDoS attacks can't actually damage a server

They could potentially damage network cards... however... I'm sure the traffic is cutting off at firewalls before actually hitting the servers. It could potentially harm load balancers, or firewalls... pretty much any equipment standing in front of the servers that handle the traffic. Anything that requires computing and processing traffic definitely can consume computing power creating heat... to much heat on equipment can cause damage. However at the end of the day it is VERY unlikely to create any permanent damage. Not like LL is running commodores or something... :x

*EDIT*

I hope.

Edited by Melissa4307

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.