Jump to content

Hostility increase in SL


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 903 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saying what reads as a very sarcastic comment like that is certainly going to get people's goat.

I'm one of the 'bold text people'. I work as a CSR and moderator for a store support group that contains approximately 23,000 users. Where you see light-heartedness, I see sarcasm. (And, being Br

How much are the moderators of the FS group paid to answer within 5 mins and be permanently on call?  I am going to guess first  - 0?

Posted Images

Hi, Ivy!

I'm with Skell and the others of like mind on this one.  I don't think SL is more "hostile", but any time you poke someone, you ought to expect to get poked back.

When you ask something in a group, and no one responds, it could be that

  • No one is listening (unlikely in a large group like FS Support, but still)
  • No mods are on, and no other listeners  know the answer, or they don't feel the need to respond...they think "that's the mods' job."  I think this happens a LOT in the Firestorm group because the mods are usually very quick to respond, and nearly always have the right answer.
  • Nobody has an answer for your question. (A hundred "sorry, no idea" responses just clutter up the chat.)

A better move would have been to simply repeat your question:  "In case it got lost, I'm having a problem with logging in.  The viewer goes right to log off from the Loading screen.  Can anyone help with that?"

I also noticed another example of "hostility" you mentioned..."Something as simple as me politely pointing out a typo in someone's profile had them telling me I should delete my account as well as other things I will spare you from..."  Depending on how you did this, I could see either side's point.  If you simply IM'd someone out of the blue with this..."Hey buddy, fix the typo in your profile"...I would think them justified in telling you to sod off.  If you were talking with a friend and said something like, "Oh, Lindal...I just noticed something in your profile.  In your Description, it says "noabs".  Did you mean "noobs?""...then I would say the other person overreacted.

The point is, we have to be very careful when communicating in text.  It's so easy for a listener to take something the wrong way.

  • Like 9
Link to post
Share on other sites

We see the same thing in this forum, esp the Answers Forum. People come here wanting help, but can’t even ask without managing to insult people. And when they get an answer they don’t like, they insult the helpers some more. 

Oh, and then they come to GD to get sympathy. 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Norton Burns said:

It's a tough life being a snowflake, isn't it?

Yes because getting frustrated when I tell someone they have a typo in their profile I should delete my account and also my life. As well as being called an entitled ***** for expecting to get answers in a support group makes me a snowflake

Edited by IvyLarae
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

“entitled”? Hey, I hope your day gets better!

 

709743FD-F648-4BEC-9973-C0203DECF1B1.jpeg

Thanks! And yeah apparently expecting a service that the group provides makes me entitled lol. I understand my comment wasn't appropriate, I really do and it wasn't one of my finer moments but the number of people who have commented like I'm some privileged person for expecting help from a group with the word "Support" in it I'm just...speechless....You don't go up to someone in a starbucks and call them entitled because the person behind the counter didn't get their order right

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

Yes because getting frustrated when I tell someone they have a typo in their profile I should delete my account and also my life. As well as being called an entitled ***** for expecting to get answers in a support group makes me a snowflake

The hostility you found in group chat & again in here has absolutely nothing to do with your later 'profile' thing. That is completely irrelevant.

The hostility is entirely because you don't see you behaved like a complete & utter entitled snowflake... & are STILL behaving like one. 

Starbucks has employees, paid to get your order right. You pay to receive service from them.

Viewer support is entirely voluntary & the minute poor melty snowflakes get all uppity because the entire grid didn't run to kiss their knee when they fell is the point at which they all just shrug & say "tough luck".

Grow up.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

@IvyLarae While I do understand your displeasure towards rude comments and name calling, I think the general message here is that since the support service is a free service offered, the courteous approach from someone seeking help would be one of gratitude and patience... rather than of expectation and demands.

And while your intention was not to be rude, sometimes we may not actually be aware of how we're coming across to others. I'm guilty of that myself. But since then, it has been expressed that your approach was considered to be rude. Best to just clarify, apologize and change how you approach things next time... Otherwise, this post will go on forever and ever and ever and ever........

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like I need to clear up/ Apologize/ explain some things

-Firstly, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was whining or anything, though by the way I worded it, very much came off like that. I had been dealing with viewer problems (And still dealing with them atm, UUUUUUUUUUUUGH Lol) as well as it was really late for me and I was tired when I wrote this. the smart thing I shoulda done was just sleep on it but I didn't so here we are, with a very poorly executed forum topic I can't delete * Laughs and facepalms, shaking her head*

 

- I fully understand that the comment that I made in the group when I didn't get a response as quickly as I would have liked wasn't called for. To the members of the FS support team reading this, I am very sorry, I had been dealing with the viewer problems for two days when I said that and my patience was just gone at that point, and I took it out on y'all when I shouldn't have. I completely understand that the FS support team is made up of volunteer's who can't be at the keyboard all the time and the work they put out isn't paid for and you all do it because you want to.

 

Sorry if I came off as whiney, that hadn't been my intentions though it came off that way,

Thanks for listening and hopefully understanding,

Ivylarae resident

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

apparently expecting a service that the group provides makes me entitled lol.

21 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

like I'm some privileged person for expecting help from a group with the word "Support" in it I'm just...speechless....

I trust that you read my comment on page one explaining - from a CSR's point of view - why you might not have received the support that you wanted within five minutes of posting your question? In my response I mentioned a chat a few weeks ago wherein I was helping three people (and I was the only CSR in the chat at the point; another was online but busy, although she came in to help out once she was free). Looking back on my chat logs, it was actually four people that I was helping in chat, as well as the two that I was helping in IM. Sometimes we're also at the store or doing 'home visits' to help people out in person.

Just for, er, fun... I decided to paste behind the spoiler tag the timestamps only of that chat log. I've changed the names to show only my own. Each person I was helping is now Avatar1, Avatar2 etc. My fellow CSR, when she arrives, is Other CSR. It might interest you to look at those timestamps and see just how fast-paced and involved this was, and remember that I also had two IM help sessions ongoing at the same time. My responses were multiple lines, since I was explaining in detail exactly how things needed to be done. And yes, despite my telling Avatar1 that I was going to focus on them first, I was still helping the others that popped up to ask questions.

I've left in a couple of lines, where I explained I was busy, etc, plus a couple of generic (anonymised) questions. No other chat log text is contained behind the spoiler, so it doesn't fall foul of SL's terms of service.

[2018/10/20 16:49]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:51]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:51]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:52]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 16:53]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:53]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:53]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 16:53]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:54]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 16:55]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:55]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 16:56]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:56]  Avatar2
[2018/10/20 16:56]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:56]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 16:57]  Avatar4
[2018/10/20 16:57]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 16:57]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 16:57]  Avatar2
[2018/10/20 16:57]  Avatar4
[2018/10/20 16:58]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:59]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 16:59]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 16:59]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:00]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:01]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:01]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:01]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:02]  Avatar3
[2018/10/20 17:02]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:02]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:03]  Avatar4
[2018/10/20 17:03]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:03]  Avatar3
[2018/10/20 17:03]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:04]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:04]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:04]  Skell Dagger: Avatar1 - OK, since I'm trying to answer four people here at once I'm going to focus on you first ?
[2018/10/20 17:04]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:04]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:05]  Avatar4
[2018/10/20 17:05]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:05]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:05]  Avatar4
[2018/10/20 17:06]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:06]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:06]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:06]  Avatar3
[2018/10/20 17:06]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:06]  Avatar3
[2018/10/20 17:06]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:07]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:07]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:07]  Avatar3
[2018/10/20 17:07]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:07]  Skell Dagger: Avatar1 - I'm the only CSR in chat at the moment, so I'm helping . Apologies if I'm confusing you!
[2018/10/20 17:08]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:08]  Avatar3
[2018/10/20 17:08]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:08]  Avatar3: when you get time to answer me
[2018/10/20 17:08]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:08]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:09]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:09]  Other CSR: Avatar3 what are you needing help with?
[2018/10/20 17:09]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:09]  Skell Dagger
[2018/10/20 17:09]  Avatar3: I will wait till you get thru with her
[2018/10/20 17:09]  Other CSR: i am not helping anyone
[2018/10/20 17:09]  Skell Dagger: Avatar3 - Other CSR is ready to help you ?
[2018/10/20 17:10]  Avatar3: ok
[2018/10/20 17:10]  Other CSR: so if you want, i can help you.. just need to know what you need help with, wasnt watching chat too well
[2018/10/20 17:10]  Avatar3: so several questions ok?
[2018/10/20 17:10]  Skell Dagger: Avatar1 - I'm going to take you into IM if that's okay, so we don't clutter up chat if other people need detailed help.
[2018/10/20 17:10]  Avatar1
[2018/10/20 17:10]  Avatar1

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

I was in the Firestorm Support group asking for a solution as to why my viewer keeps going to the log out screen as soon as it gets off the loading screen. I waited a full 5 minutes, no-one responded so in a lighthearted, if not annoyed manner, mentioned it with the sentence '...Wow okay thanks, helpful as ever-.-"

Did you fix your problem yet?

If not - it sounds like you are getting disconnected pretty much as soon as login completes.
This could be down to connection issues or a poorly region, or it could be that your login is timing out for various reasons, most likely case is a large, flat inventory structure.

If you have alts, do they get disconnected right after login too?  If only one of your accounts is affected, it's likely an inventory issue.
Test clearing the viewer cache & then logging in your affected account.  It you can login the affected account fine when cache is clean & only when cache is clean, then you probably need your inventory deflattened, which you can get done by filing a ticket with LL support.

If all your accounts get disconnected, try logging into a couple of different regions & rebooting your computer & powering off your router/cable modem for a few minutes.  Often that's enough to fix transient connection issues.

  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IvyLarae said:

I feel like I need to clear up/ Apologize/ explain some things

-Firstly, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was whining or anything, though by the way I worded it, very much came off like that. I had been dealing with viewer problems (And still dealing with them atm, UUUUUUUUUUUUGH Lol) as well as it was really late for me and I was tired when I wrote this. the smart thing I shoulda done was just sleep on it but I didn't so here we are, with a very poorly executed forum topic I can't delete * Laughs and facepalms, shaking her head*

 

- I fully understand that the comment that I made in the group when I didn't get a response as quickly as I would have liked wasn't called for. To the members of the FS support team reading this, I am very sorry, I had been dealing with the viewer problems for two days when I said that and my patience was just gone at that point, and I took it out on y'all when I shouldn't have. I completely understand that the FS support team is made up of volunteer's who can't be at the keyboard all the time and the work they put out isn't paid for and you all do it because you want to.

 

Sorry if I came off as whiney, that hadn't been my intentions though it came off that way,

Thanks for listening and hopefully understanding,

Ivylarae resident

A good response, its not often people realise what went wrong and own up to their part in it. Keep that open mind and you will fit in just fine

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IvyLarae said:

the smart thing I shoulda done was just sleep on it but I didn't so here we are, with a very poorly executed forum topic I can't delete * Laughs and facepalms, shaking her head*

/me hands you a cup of coffee.

Been there, done that. Had I the ability to delete everything I've posted on the forums that I subsequently wish I hadn't, my "rank" here would probably never get past "Newbie."

1 hour ago, IvyLarae said:

To the members of the FS support team reading this, I am very sorry, I had been dealing with the viewer problems for two days when I said that and my patience was just gone at that point, and I took it out on y'all when I shouldn't have. I completely understand that the FS support team is made up of volunteer's who can't be at the keyboard all the time and the work they put out isn't paid for and you all do it because you want to.

This is beautifully said.

I hope you stick around here, Ivy. There's lots more coffee (or tea, or something stronger) where the last cup came from.

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Did you fix your problem yet?

If not - it sounds like you are getting disconnected pretty much as soon as login completes.
This could be down to connection issues or a poorly region, or it could be that your login is timing out for various reasons, most likely case is a large, flat inventory structure.

If you have alts, do they get disconnected right after login too?  If only one of your accounts is affected, it's likely an inventory issue.
Test clearing the viewer cache & then logging in your affected account.  It you can login the affected account fine when cache is clean & only when cache is clean, then you probably need your inventory deflattened, which you can get done by filing a ticket with LL support.

If all your accounts get disconnected, try logging into a couple of different regions & rebooting your computer & powering off your router/cable modem for a few minutes.  Often that's enough to fix transient connection issues.

Dadgumit Whirlz what is this deflattened thing? What did LL do while I was gone that we have a new term I've just now learned? xD

I don't remember seeing "flat inventory structure" before. Got a link?

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Dadgumit Whirlz what is this deflattened thing? What did LL do while I was gone that we have a new term I've just now learned? xD

I don't remember seeing "flat inventory structure" before. Got a link?

Try this: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/413080-inventory/?do=findComment&comment=1678650

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Hmm, it should be a post by Whirly around half way down the page. It describes a flat inventory structure and why you don't want one.

I was asking for an FS link which likely has more info than her post(eta" such as what exactly it is). That's why I asked her specifically. :)

 

ok ok... That and I like to tease Whirlz. :P

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Did you fix your problem yet?

If not - it sounds like you are getting disconnected pretty much as soon as login completes.
This could be down to connection issues or a poorly region, or it could be that your login is timing out for various reasons, most likely case is a large, flat inventory structure.

If you have alts, do they get disconnected right after login too?  If only one of your accounts is affected, it's likely an inventory issue.
Test clearing the viewer cache & then logging in your affected account.  It you can login the affected account fine when cache is clean & only when cache is clean, then you probably need your inventory deflattened, which you can get done by filing a ticket with LL support.

If all your accounts get disconnected, try logging into a couple of different regions & rebooting your computer & powering off your router/cable modem for a few minutes.  Often that's enough to fix transient connection issues.

Firstly thanks for your help. Sadly it was happening on every alt I have ( I have 3 others) and I had tried literally everything under the sun to fix it. Clearing cache, rebooting my router, uninstalled and reinstalled FS a couple times, even deleted cookies off my PC and even offered ten years of servitude to a demon if they would fix it! ( lol JK xD)

The only thing that would fix it, was me restoring my PC back to an earlier date

Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 903 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...