media on prim won't recognize video format from youtube

Kat Shadow

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Ok I've tried everything I can thing of, even reinstalled flash & quicktime. Does anyone know why when I try to point media on prim at my youtube video, I get the "browser does not recognize video format error"? It plays just fine in every other browser I have tried.

13 hours ago, Kitten Kaos said:

Does anyone know why when I try to point media on prim at my youtube video, I get the "browser does not recognize video format error"?

Because fairly recently, SpewTube changed from the old standard video formats, mostly flash, to "new high fashion overpaid web monkey geekware" html5 video formats that ONLY work in the current crop of "high fashion" web browsers, and do not work in anything that triggers "Warning, our overpaid under talented web monkey code has detected you use an UNFASHIONABLE browser".

MoaP apparently isn't "fashionable" enough to support SpewTube any more.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Klytyna said:

Because fairly recently, SpewTube changed from the old standard video formats, mostly flash, to "new high fashion overpaid web monkey geekware" html5 video formats that ONLY work in the current crop of "high fashion" web browsers, and do not work in anything that triggers "Warning, our overpaid under talented web monkey code has detected you use an UNFASHIONABLE browser".

MoaP apparently isn't "fashionable" enough to support SpewTube any more.

You can blame crApple, since they fubar'd flash, along with adobe.  So what though? html5 video is far far better (& more secure) than flash anyway, and I used to be a flash developer, I loved it.  HTML5 is a lot cleaner, and vastly more capable, and if coupled with other things (js) correctly is a lot better than the olde stuff.  Perhaps our implimentation of webprim needs a refresh?  I play youtube on MOP all the time it works great, but a few the vids will give the error of the OP here.  Its not really apparent why, because they are all playing with html5 just fine, its only some videos that do it.

Edit: I wonder if mozilla has a similar api to chromium?  FF is sooo much faster and more secure than chrome at this point.

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne

Normal YouTube videos should play fine on recent builds of SL viewers via media on a prim right out of the box - HTML5 is supported in the viewer.
YouTube live streams will not however play on recent viewers because embedded mp4 & some other embedded formats are no longer supported & this affects live streams.

If a large YouTube video has very recently been uploaded, it may not play for a while in SL viewers until YouTube has finished encoding the video into the various formats.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Normal YouTube videos should play fine on recent builds of SL viewers via media on a prim right out of the box - HTML5 is supported in the viewer.
YouTube live streams will not however play on recent viewers because embedded mp4 & some other embedded formats are no longer supported & this affects live streams.

If a large YouTube video has very recently been uploaded, it may not play for a while in SL viewers until YouTube has finished encoding the video into the various formats.

It won’t autoplay, right?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kitten Kaos said:

Of the videos in this public playlist, only Chthulhu plays on a prim.  

From what Whirly said it sounds like you just need to wait until youtube adds more encoded versions.  Maybe they have a schedule you could find out how long on average?

1 hour ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

I wonder if mozilla has a similar api to chromium?  FF is sooo much faster and more secure than chrome at this point.

Yep! And... it looks to be fantastic! https://servo.org

Its going to be a drop in replacement for CEF, so all the legacy stuff will be supported or only needing minor refactoring!  But, it will come with a vast array of enhancements and features that could prove extremely useful for crafting all sorts of things.

1 hour ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

@Kitten Kaos

If you click the "Start watching this issue" link on the JIRA issue, you'll get all updates to that issue sent to your email.

Screenshot_3.png.5d2eb55667569b70f22c69f9a8241b4e.png

I actually love the Jira interface and the whole feel of it, im a crazy artist and my stuff is spread around the universe, its nice to have a system keeping things somewhat manageable & freeing up time to create more.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.