Sign in to follow this  
animats

Virtual reality is dead

Virtual Reality Dream is Dead

"Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO of the studio CCP Games (Eve: Online), says the company doesn't see much of a future for virtual reality gaming. “We expected VR to be two to three times as big as it was, period,” ... “You can't build a business on that.” There's a chance the company could jump back in, but their own data showed adoption was slow, even among enthusiasts. “The important thing is we need to see the metrics for active users of VR. A lot of people bought headsets just to try it out. How many of those people are active? We found that in terms of our data, a lot of users weren't.”

"Several prominent studios have shut down or ceased VR efforts, including Viacom and AltspaceVR, and Microsoft is a steadfast “no” when it comes to dipping its toes in the water via the Xbox."

"The media ... has gone through several cycles of fawning, optimistic prognostication, and... wishful thinking? — but for all the hype we have very little consumer interest to show for it."

• Thanks 1

For that matter, Facebook cancelled the successor to the Rift, and the co-founder of Oculus left Facebook. Facebook is concentrating on stand-alone VR goggles rather than ones connected to a PC. Not good news for Sansar anyway.

7 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah, it's cute. The Snapdragon 835 processor isn't anywhere close to the specs LL wants for Sansar. The hype wave for VR goggles passed when the Rift came out. Now the only excitement about new goggles is among the True Believers. The end of the Rift 2 barely made the news. Eventually it won't matter how good the equipment is because the mass market has moved onto whatever comes next after 3D glasses & VR goggles.

It's too bad ... there are so many practical jokes you could play on someone using the goggles.

7 hours ago, animats said:

Virtual Reality Dream is Dead

"Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO of the studio CCP Games (Eve: Online), says the company doesn't see much of a future for virtual reality gaming. “We expected VR to be two to three times as big as it was, period,” ... “You can't build a business on that.” There's a chance the company could jump back in, but their own data showed adoption was slow, even among enthusiasts. “The important thing is we need to see the metrics for active users of VR. A lot of people bought headsets just to try it out. How many of those people are active? We found that in terms of our data, a lot of users weren't.”

"Several prominent studios have shut down or ceased VR efforts, including Viacom and AltspaceVR, and Microsoft is a steadfast “no” when it comes to dipping its toes in the water via the Xbox."

"The media ... has gone through several cycles of fawning, optimistic prognostication, and... wishful thinking? — but for all the hype we have very little consumer interest to show for it."

Telling people is never enough it seems...they have to find out the hard way!

• Like 1

It's difficult to understand VR unless you are in it. When I first walked into Sansar, I very much thought VR was a fad. The only reason I got an Oculus, was because my now partner Bagnaria, she sent me her old Oculus DK2, and using that was more than enough to get my to buy the latest Oculus. To me, VR is AMAZING. I truly think it is only a matter of time. I also think that Sansar is a very interesting player in the VR arena. It is truly unique in trying to push realism within the VR space. This is an extremely powerful thing. Where Sansar has majorly faltered is in the avatars, and adding customization and sliders to make the avatars more realistic to match the environment. To me, this was a HUGE mistake ignoring the avatar so much. What is crazy about VR, is engaging with another person with VR, because you are both moving around so much, it seems like the person is really there with you, especially when you are playing and running around the environment.

As far as the Oculus troubles, well, what can you say really, other than, we all kind of knew FB would F up the real VR that truly makes it engaging. I personally HATE, with a passion, being a floaty head thing with hands. Hey FB, maybe that is why people haven't adopted VR faster, cause nobody wants to be a head and hands. It's ridiculous to think people can engage with each other in a truly engaging way, with a head and 2 hands.  Well, F FB! There is still the Vive. I also think there will be other players, and there are now, many viable headsets, that all work in Sansar. Plus, the Lab could do more to support these other headsets natively. All I really have to say is that when people can jump on to the back of a crazy realistic horse in VR, or a dragon, even with someone else in VR, OMG is that going to be AWESOME, and the likely only place to do that, will be Sansar. As soon as the Lab allows us those kinds of capabilities, you can bet I'll be working on it. I already have Tetradactyls that you can ride on their backs, but I can't animate or attach the avatar to the creatures.

• Like 4

I first experienced immersive VR via goggles when I was a teen, over 30 years ago. It seemed DOA to me then, making this one of the most lingering technological burials I've ever witnessed. If you consider the rise of mobile at the expense of fixed base computing, you'll see AR as the inheritor of VR's promise. The human body is a machine intended to carry its brain where it wants to go. The brain knows if the body is doing its job. VR necessarily ignores that. AR co-opts it.

• Like 3

AR could superimpose enough fantasy onto a RL space that it would become primarily VR though. Think of manifesting a dragon onto your coffee table. And what if, then, a fantasy background was added to that dragon in your living room scene.

In other words, I don't think it's headsets vs lightweight glasses or desktops vs mobile phones that makes the difference between VR & AR.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

I think AR is a given, and actually kind of easy to do. We'll see it more and more. That said, AR and VR aren't even really similar in their uses. VR is fully immersive, while AR is very passive. In VR, you are somewhere else, completely. These 2 techs might seem similar, but in the end, they are totally different arena, and AR will never ever be what VR can be, at least until we can dynamically change our real world like we can virtual 1s. They aren't even competing techs.

• Like 1

I know they aren't now (similar in uses), but I felt intrigued by the hologram people manifesting in somebody else's living room, and did see some sort of creature manifesting on a coffee table. So I see a potential here, although not as totally immersive as VR is currently. Kind of like the living room or space actually becomes the monitor or screen of the headset.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Medhue Simoni said:

In VR, you are somewhere else, completely.

Until full dive tech with complete sensory augmentation comes along, we're only partially somewhere else with VR/AR as only one or two senses are being exercised.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:00 PM, Lucia Nightfire said:

only one or two senses are being exercised

As all senses are simply your brain's interpretation of those senses, if you can trick the brain, you can fool almost all your senses.

• Like 3

Sansar has spectacular potential, and I think we're about to get some avatar related goodies too, seemed to have been mentioned several places recently.

VR is also high in potential, ive not used it in Sansar yet, im wating on the next best thing to release, Sansar is great even without VR though.

Eve might be failing, but it seems their success matches their attitude, so thats all quite fitting IMO... besides, those kinds of games have a limited shelf life.  Look at something like Cities Skylines for a better glimpse of what Sansar has a chance at a huge chunk of.  In addition to millions of players there are many amazing creators on Steam too, that most often get the shaft as far as remuneration for their sweat and labors.  This is one way SL surpassed all other realms, and you can bet on Sansar hitting a home run on that front too.

7 hours ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Sansar has spectacular potential, and I think we're about to get some avatar related goodies too, seemed to have been mentioned several places recently.

VR is also high in potential, ive not used it in Sansar yet, im wating on the next best thing to release, Sansar is great even without VR though.

Eve might be failing, but it seems their success matches their attitude, so thats all quite fitting IMO... besides, those kinds of games have a limited shelf life.  Look at something like Cities Skylines for a better glimpse of what Sansar has a chance at a huge chunk of.  In addition to millions of players there are many amazing creators on Steam too, that most often get the shaft as far as remuneration for their sweat and labors.  This is one way SL surpassed all other realms, and you can bet on Sansar hitting a home run on that front too.

Hello,

I agree with all, but Sansar future fees system is not the right way to attract true designers. I know I said that already, but really I have the feeling Sansar fees system is able to make Sansar falls despite all qualities of Sansar.

In addition, 20 experiences for free and 25 for almost 10$ is not the right way too.

Why not just apply fees at a fixed rate like 20% to 30% ?

Why not offer 5 experiences for free, and 15 or maybe 20 for 10$ with support ?

Sansar deserves a big chance to success, obviously. I hope rational and reasonable decisions will make Sansar viable.

Best Regards, Motoko Oanomochi.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Motoko Oanomochi said:

Hello,

I agree with all, but Sansar future fees system is not the right way to attract true designers. I know I said that already, but really I have the feeling Sansar fees system is able to make Sansar falls despite all qualities of Sansar.

In addition, 20 experiences for free and 25 for almost 10$ is not the right way too.

Why not just apply fees at a fixed rate like 20% to 30% ?

Why not offer 5 experiences for free, and 15 or maybe 20 for 10$ with support ?

Sansar deserves a big chance to success, obviously. I hope rational and reasonable decisions will make Sansar viable.

Best Regards, Motoko Oanomochi.

Yeah I can understand your concerns, but I sort of see it in a different light.  To me, the high cost of land is what strangled SL, there aren't enough players with enough land to put stuff they buy on. (this is improving now with the changes tho) I would have built 20 SIM's in SL by now if not for the cost.  I have a lot of things demanding my time, and I have to take breaks a lot, leaving 20*250=$5000.00 PER MONTH sitting around, is not a thing most people would even consider.   Even if I was working it full time that overhead would be worrisome to me because its not based on revenue. 

IMO what Sansar has done is given creators the opportunity to create and see what revenue can be earned, and not pay out a ton just for the chance at trying to see if it all works.  This will encourage quite a lot more people to participate, and innovate in ways they never would have dared in SL.  It will even increase the non-creators population and give them LOADS of land to put stuff on, I think its brilliant!

I would wager that the 20 free experiences thing will not last forever, seems to be an early adopter bonus to me, will probably drop to 10 after some time.  I have a premium account over there too because I wants every single one of those sims, and more! muhahahahahaha!

EDIT: One last note, it also seems like in Sansar there will be no land barons, however, I dont think that will end rentals, only that the paradigm is flipped, the creators can have rentals they make, instead of land barons taking a chunk of the pie because they can play in the high cost/risk land market.  You might be wondering why anyone would rent in Sansar?  Well... wait and see, the potentials in that area are massive!

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne

Adding a bit more since im obsessing over this at the moment heheh,  Freebies!  I think this Sansar model will make freebies not only better & more abundant, but last longer too.  I remember some really great scripting and building resources over the years in SL, and when people died, or whatever... their whole thing just blips out of existence and its sad because they were such great characters, and they shared so much with everyone, remember that blue guy? I loved him!  In Sansar perhaps things like that can last longer, because the pricing model is more flexible, it could be easier for new owners to take over, preserve longer, or whatever can be worked out at the time.

• Like 1