Jump to content
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

So it seems that a few of my friends and I were Hit Last night October 27th with voice communication problems. This was right after the first Grid Crash. Has anyone else had any problems with hearing Voice since then and were you able to resolve? We have tried everything to no avail. All troubleshooting was done and came back clean. Clean reinstall was done and still nothing. The only time I had any difference was using a different computer. Please don't say it is the computer because that is highly unlikely to be the case with as many reported voice problems as I have seen today, plus the troubleshooting didn't work either. 

***Serious Responses only NO TROLLS***

 

Thank you, 

Davina

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, LadyLauraV said:

So it seems that a few of my friends and I were Hit Last night October 27th with voice communication problems. This was right after the first Grid Crash. Has anyone else had any problems with hearing Voice since then and were you able to resolve? We have tried everything to no avail. All troubleshooting was done and came back clean. Clean reinstall was done and still nothing. The only time I had any difference was using a different computer. Please don't say it is the computer because that is highly unlikely to be the case with as many reported voice problems as I have seen today, plus the troubleshooting didn't work either. 

***Serious Responses only NO TROLLS***

 

Thank you, 

Davina

It's probably best not to worry about voice issues until LL get the grid up and running smoothly 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2018 at 8:04 AM, Solar Legion said:

Yeah, other people having problems or not, the moment you swapped machines it became a factor. 

The problem still remains that nothing is wrong with the firewall and no updates have been made. No Settings have been changed and all troubleshooting has been done.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LadyLauraV said:

The problem still remains that nothing is wrong with the firewall and no updates have been made. No Settings have been changed and all troubleshooting has been done.

And that problem - by your own account - was solved or mitigated by using a different computer.

There are these things called "variables" - adding a different computer to the mix adds a whole set of them, starting with "problem exists on one machine, not consistently present on another."

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, LadyLauraV said:

okay smarty pants, then tell me what the problem is if I have done all troubleshooting and clean reinstall and still have problems when I never had problems before?

The problems are...

1. It's Voice-spam, LL don't supply it or control it, it's a 3rd party product run by Vivox, and it's integration into SL has ALWAYS been flakey.

2. There is no known guaranteed to work set of "trouble shooting steps" that will always cause Voice-Spam to function on ANY pc, because...  It's flakey and always has been., praying to a photo of Presidump Trump, is about as reliable a way of fixing it as anything else, overall, in the long run.

3. You talk about "troubleshooting" which almost certainly means you ran the near worthless "Microbloat Windon't Troubleshooting" thing, which won't tell you a damn thing about SL, or Vivox, or why one isn't talking to the other.

4 You did a clean install, which is fairly pointless, as the most likely causes of Voice-spam failure have nothing to do with your viewer install at all, being either server related, the link between SL, and Vivox, and you, or with the widespread adoption of Windon't 10, are auto-update related, where it turns off your sound. Reinstalling your viewer was basically a waste of time.

On 28 October 2018 at 9:44 PM, LadyLauraV said:

The only time I had any difference was using a different computer. Please don't say it is the computer because that is highly unlikely to be the case

5. Actually, it's HIGHLY likely to be the case, what versions of Windon't are running on the two computers, What auto-update settings do they both use. One machine disabling Voice-Spam after an update that the other didn't get, is a distinct possibility.

46 minutes ago, LadyLauraV said:

okay smarty pants, then tell me what the problem is

6. Your attitude isn't going to help, as the people best able to help you, simply, won't

On 28 October 2018 at 9:44 PM, LadyLauraV said:

***Serious Responses only NO TROLLS***

7. Voice-spam is an Abomination unto the Dark Gods of the Grid, and they have cursed you...

You must repent your evil Voice-spamming ways, and type in Local Chat as the Dark Gods intended, and show your submission to Their Will, by sacrificing a noob in one of the Stepped Temples on the Forgotten Isles to the North West of the Bones of the Leviathan...

...

Hope that helps, but if it doesn't, meh not my problem, nor my job to help sarky tech-illiterates who mouth off at the people foolish enough to try and help them...



 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

The problems are...

1. It's Voice-spam, LL don't supply it or control it, it's a 3rd party product run by Vivox, and it's integration into SL has ALWAYS been flakey.

2. There is no known guaranteed to work set of "trouble shooting steps" that will always cause Voice-Spam to function on ANY pc, because...  It's flakey and always has been., praying to a photo of Presidump Trump, is about as reliable a way of fixing it as anything else, overall, in the long run.

3. You talk about "troubleshooting" which almost certainly means you ran the near worthless "Microbloat Windon't Troubleshooting" thing, which won't tell you a damn thing about SL, or Vivox, or why one isn't talking to the other.

4 You did a clean install, which is fairly pointless, as the most likely causes of Voice-spam failure have nothing to do with your viewer install at all, being either server related, the link between SL, and Vivox, and you, or with the widespread adoption of Windon't 10, are auto-update related, where it turns off your sound. Reinstalling your viewer was basically a waste of time.

5. Actually, it's HIGHLY likely to be the case, what versions of Windon't are running on the two computers, What auto-update settings do they both use. One machine disabling Voice-Spam after an update that the other didn't get, is a distinct possibility.

6. Your attitude isn't going to help, as the people best able to help you, simply, won't

7. Voice-spam is an Abomination unto the Dark Gods of the Grid, and they have cursed you...

You must repent your evil Voice-spamming ways, and type in Local Chat as the Dark Gods intended, and show your submission to Their Will, by sacrificing a noob in one of the Stepped Temples on the Forgotten Isles to the North West of the Bones of the Leviathan...

...

Hope that helps, but if it doesn't, meh not my problem, nor my job to help sarky tech-illiterates who mouth off at the people foolish enough to try and help them...



 

Honestly your response has been the most helpful, Thank you :)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, LadyLauraV said:

okay smarty pants, then tell me what the problem is if I have done all troubleshooting and clean reinstall and still have problems when I never had problems before?

Do I look like a Linden Lab employee? How about an employee at any of the ISPs that own the server systems that the data being sent, flows?

Welcome to Technology.

If the problem exists on one machine and either does not exist on a second or is far less frequent on the second then guess what? The first machine is part of the problem. In what way? There are several reasons, mostly network related.

No, you haven't done all of the troubleshooting. All of it includes taking steps unrelated to Second Life or its client programs, such as potential driver updates, wholly reinstalling your OS (nuclear option) and even unplugging your modem/router for a minute or two and plugging it back in. Ditto for any wired connection points as well as swapping from Wireless to Wired.

From your recent post ... The problem has been "resolved" - so, what exactly did you do to fix it? Did it fix itself?

If the latter, all that means is that whatever condition caused the issue was likely on Linden Lab's end or somewhere in between. If the latter it also further illustrates why swapping machines would mitigate the issue.

In closing: If you want "serious" replies, you'd better be open to others questioning you or pointing out additional points of failure/variables.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LadyLauraV said:

UPDATE:

Problem is resolved, thank you everyone who gave helpful advice 

Davina

 

 

Posting what the problem turned out to be / how you solved it, is encouraged in the forums as it can help others down the road.

 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...