Logins?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, TiffiStevens said:

A video game seems like a strange choice for a DDoS attack hmm disgruntled former Linden ???

Yes. It's not as if anybody takes Second Life seriously after all

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TiffiStevens said:

A video game seems like a strange choice for a DDoS attack hmm disgruntled former Linden ???

SL is probably not the only affected service. SL is merely on the way between the ddosers, the ddosed, and us. Theoretically Linden could open more backup servers, but that is expensive. This is one of the many reasons google and youtube almost never go down.

Edited by CozyCollin

It seems Final Fantasy has been suffering DDOS attacks recently, I have no reason to think it linked but the article says:

• “FFXIV” had previously been subjected to DDoS attacks. A study by a U.S. internet company has showed that some 80 percent of DDoS attacks worldwide are targeted at game services.
  • “The attacks may have been carried out by people who commit the offense for pleasure, hold a grudge against the company or seek money,” said Nobuhiro Tsuji, an information security expert.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/11/01/business/tech/players-affected-online-game-final-fantasy-xiv-hit-unprecedented-cyberattacks/#.W9y_FmbLeUk

I am a little surprised games should be so commonly the targets, but then I know next to nothing about these things

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KotaiKage said:

I know FFXIV has been getting hit by major DDOS attacks over the past few weeks too. I think their data center for NA is in California.

I havent played this recently but i had a feeling this would happen. You are correct the NA data centers are all in california. I hear black desert is also having a hard time.

https://threatmap.fortiguard.com/

Edited by CozyCollin

2 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

I am a little surprised games should be so commonly the targets, but then I know next to nothing about these things

There is much emotion involved in games. Emotion causes irrational actions. Uncontrolled emotions are bad. Now please take your daily dose of Soma and be happy, thanks for your cooperation, citizen. ;)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Aethelwine said:

Have Linden Lab confirmed or said anything about the problems over the last week to confirm that these are DDOS attacks?

They have said this is out of their hands, which it is. There is only so much a relatively small gaming company can do in relation to the internet infrastructure.

5 minutes ago, Fionalein said:

There is much emotion involved in games. Emotion causes irrational actions. Uncontrolled emotions are bad. Now please take your daily dose of Soma and be happy, thanks for your cooperation, citizen. ;)

mmm Good idea just because I can't login, doesn't mean I can't listen to my land stream. Secret Agent seems appropriate right now...

https://somafm.com/secretagent/songhistory.html

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, friscolives said:

This is ridiculous! I don't know why there's so much of an issue, but you would imagine it would be resolved by now. Log in and crash, the lag is unbearable. Hope they eventually get around to fixing this.

This is not really a "fix it" thing.  LL has been dealing with DDoS attacks.  If you aren't sure what that is or how difficult is is to prevent, Google will help.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is not really a "fix it" thing.  LL has been dealing with DDoS attacks.  If you aren't sure what that is or how difficult is is to prevent, Google will help.

Oh, why aren't datacenters and service providers not protected against DDoS attacks. There is always something like a DMZ option available to prevent this crap.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.