Logins?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, MLALRS7044 said:

It's a sunday and this is unplanned,  any projects or improvements we would of known about,  they would try to do things during normal business hours. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

not heard what it was yet. 

There was a discussion in the CasperTech group and Casper thought it looked like a DDOS attack and that seems to make a lot of sense. The way it kept coming in waves is a strong indicator for a start.

It's worth noting that the OSGrid went down too after a while and it's still offline for unexpected maintenance. It may be a coincidence of course

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

There was a discussion in the CasperTech group and Casper thought it looked like a DDOS attack and that seems to make a lot of sense. The way it kept coming in waves is a strong indicator for a start.

It's worth noting that the OSGrid went down too after a while and it's still offline for unexpected maintenance. It may be a coincidence of course

I've seen this type of behavior many times in SL and it was never due to a DDoS attack (eta: with the exception of last February). Sometimes the issues are system wide, sometimes they only affected certain aspects/areas as was the case yesterday. Although SL does get hit with numerous DDoS attacks they are mostly unnoticeable to residents. If this had been a real DDoS attack not even I would not have been able to log in, much less stay logged in from around 7:30am SLT until 10:30pm SLT yesterday. I would have gotten booted at least once at some point. That never happened. 

Another thing to consider is how much people can afford to pay for a DDoS service of the magnitude it would require to bring something like SL to its knees. While prices do vary, it still isn't cheap and most of the "script kiddies" can't afford to pay what it would take to actually shut the grid down. We're talking approximately $20 USD per HOUR.

Here's a Kaspersky link that demonstrates how costly it can be if you really want to take a large site down: https://securelist.com/the-cost-of-launching-a-ddos-attack/77784/

Edited by Selene Gregoire

There was no ddos attack from what I was seeing that night, I monitored this thread and kept my eye on the traffic of where the data center is,  where the cdns are at.  I was going to report real time if it would of been there was no odd or heavy traffic anywhere from what I was seeing on the west coast.

8 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

There was no ddos attack from what I was seeing that night, I monitored this thread and kept my eye on the traffic of where the data center is,  where the cdns are at.  I was going to report real time if it would of been there was no odd or heavy traffic anywhere from what I was seeing on the west coast.

That's what I have said in several posts. There was no DDoS attack. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That's what I have said in several posts. There was no DDoS attack. None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

it has to be stated by several people,  we get the one of 2 that come in , stay it is and then never come back or then want to argue about it,  figured needs to be stated so people whom come in see it and dont go "IT WAS THIS" without reading, which somebody will.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

we get the one of 2 that come in , stay it is and then never come back or then want to argue about it,

No need to argue with me about it.

10 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

That's it. Not a DDOS attack then. :)

17 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

it has to be stated by several people,  we get the one of 2 that come in , stay it is and then never come back or then want to argue about it,  figured needs to be stated so people whom come in see it and dont go "IT WAS THIS" without reading, which somebody will.

This thread is 14 pages long now, don't expect people to read through it all in detail.

Anyway, no external attacks, so it must have been a technical problem. I'm sure we'll se a blig post from LL about it soon.

• Like 1

• Lindens

Heya Folks.

I can confirm it was a DDoS attack, and yes, the folks on my team had a rough weekend.

We do our best to fight DDoSes, but this one took quite a bit more effort than normal.

I'm sorry people's plans got interrupted over the weekend. It was a rough weekend for all of us... including those of us on this side of the grid, too.

April Linden
Second Life Operations Team Lead

• Like 4
  • Thanks 17

9 minutes ago, April Linden said:

Heya Folks.

I can confirm it was a DDoS attack, and yes, the folks on my team had a rough weekend.

We do our best to fight DDoSes, but this one took quite a bit more effort than normal.

I'm sorry people's plans got interrupted over the weekend. It was a rough weekend for all of us... including those of us on this side of the grid, too.

April Linden

Then I was wrong and I freely admit so.

I just found it odd that I was able to log in during the attack (on the 4th try) and stayed in for more than 10 hours without getting kicked.

Thanks for lettings us know for certain. 

32 minutes ago, April Linden said:

Heya Folks.

Hey waitaminite, I had just admitted I was wrong and now you say I wasn't! :P

34 minutes ago, April Linden said:

It was a rough weekend for all of us... including those of us on this side of the grid, too.

You have my sympathy, keep up the good work - after you've got some well deserved rest of course!

3 hours ago, April Linden said:

Heya Folks.

April Linden

well I'll go ahead and take it back, seems I was not using the proper sites to watch the traffic then.   

3 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Then I was wrong and I freely admit so.

I just found it odd that I was able to log in during the attack (on the 4th try) and stayed in for more than 10 hours without getting kicked.

Thanks for lettings us know for certain. 

well that was highly odd,  I monitored it with the top sites and a few other aws tools that people have launched and michigan and florida and new jersey where lite up that night, westcoast/arizona showed little to not traffic,  so what ever the lab was seeing that night was not showing on the major tools out there.

3 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

well that was highly odd,  I monitored it with the top sites and a few other aws tools that people have launched and michigan and florida and new jersey where lite up that night, westcoast/arizona showed little to not traffic,  so what ever the lab was seeing that night was not showing on the major tools out there.

O.o  I'm West coast. We're usually on when most have gone to bed or are at work (across the pond).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.