GuyJee

Have you ever been ghosted by someone?

1 hour ago, MiaDeLioncourt said:

When you block an avatar I know they can't send you messages but how do they see you?

Nothing changes for them.  They see you like normal and see anything you type in open chat.

I didn't play long enough to really get ghosted a lot but it happened twice. 

Once a person I seemed to get along with nicely added me on their friends list. I saw them online several times after that, even sent them a message. They never responded. No big deal I guess. 

The second one was a bit funnier. I got along with this guy way more than anyone else I had met in SL. We were about to add each other as friends, but then he said "Okay, I've got a serious question. Favorite anime?" We are both anime fans, this had been established earlier in the convo. He, in what I thought was a joking manner said "Think hard. This is important!" I didn't have to think hard. I knew my favorite anime. He didn't like my favorite anime. I didn't like his. We argued for like 15 minutes over our choice of Japanese cartoons and then he blocked me. I'm not even mad because looking back on it that was pretty hilarious. 

And people say anime fans are insane...

When I see a situation so funny and ridiculous, I always think I might be talking to a kid. I know some people could be really childish, but there are a lot of 13 or 15 year old kids playing and pretending to be older. If someone insults me or block me because I prefer Batman over Superman or a movie over a movie, I will assume that I'm talking to a kid OR the person has some serious problems lol. So, I quit 🙄 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MiaDeLioncourt said:

I prefer Batman over Superman

No way! I'll have to block you now.

Wait ... so do I.

Yay!  Sisters!

• Haha 1

On 10/27/2018 at 11:57 AM, GuyJee said:

You got along well with someone, suddenly he/she stops replying, ignores you, or blocks you from everywhere.

How was your reaction? What do you think about that?

I didn't even know that was what it was called. I should. I'm guilty of it.

Long story short I met a guy in SL. We had a few erotic role plays in SL. We started talking in RL on Skype. He was married with a young son and lived around two hours away from me in RL. Initially I was so smitten with the contact I didn't care. Then I did. We spoke almost every day and it was very easy. Like we'd known each other a lot longer. He'd been there to 'worry' about me when I had a minor car accident IRL, and I was there to 'worry' about him as he spoke of possible retrenchment from his job. Things quickly progressed. Soon we were making plans to take things further IRL. The more I thought about it, the more my guilty conscience got the better of me. By this point we'd been saying some pretty explicit things, and it felt like that already we were cheating. I knew it was wrong, and that I was potentially causing problems for his RL family, and certainly hurting his RL wife who, I'm assuming, had no idea any of this was going on behind the scenes. He had told me from the start he was married. He'd also made me promise that if I ever started feeling weird at some point I wouldn't cut off contact suddenly but that I would talk to him about it. Those should have been my red flags and I ignored both of them. In hindsight I should have known better.

This is going to sound completely insane to someone who hasn't experienced any of this but when reality did dawn on me I felt physically shaken. I was physically ill at myself, and him, for what we were planning to do. I was angry at us both and as dumb as this sounds, as much as I don't agree with his choice to chase those avenues before or after me (assuming that he is), it's really not my place to judge. I have no rights to stop him if that's how he lives his life. As organised as I perhaps sound online, in reality at the time I couldn't formulate all of that into words that I felt in any way would make sense. So I blocked contact. Again, in hindsight I could have handled things a lot better. I can imagine my sudden disappearance was jolting. He had my RL number and knew roughly where I lived, and he knew this account plus an alt. He could have caused me a great deal of problems, but fortunately for me he didn't. After witnessing a close friend go through over two years of real life stalking that originated in SL and continues to this very day you would think I'd have been more careful and better prepared. I wasn't. I was naïve and stupid and that's my fault. But that's why I did what I did. Now I know what it's called - and what not to do from now on. 

On 5/26/2019 at 12:20 AM, MiaDeLioncourt said:

If someone insults me or block me because I prefer Batman over Superman or a movie over a movie, I will assume that I'm talking to a kid OR the person has some serious problems lol. So, I quit 🙄 

Really! BATMAN has NO powers you'd be bats to prefer him over Kal el. 😂

I was sorta ghosted by someone who I grew incredibly close with in a matter of weeks.  One of those dazzled by the stars "romances".  Suddenly, maybe a month or so in, they decided they needed to be in RL.  Within a month tho, I noticed they were back.  And the funny thing about it was, they'd made a big-to-do about how they wanted people to like them for themselves, and was going to use SL only thru the default mesh avi.  Refused several gifts I had sent in fact.  Now, their bio reads that they've got the $L but need guidance to buy a mesh avi makeover.  🙄

Was it "me", that caused them to leave? Who knows.  But I only followed as they led (they'd once gone to the ocean side and wrote our avi names in the sand and drew a heart around it, uploaded a photo of it and they put it on their profile- etc). Boy howdy I gobbled all that down like the daydreamer I can be.

I've had them muted since I noticed they returned.  It stung a bit when they left, but now, since they're back and ready to not only be in SL, but spend money- I just look at it as they lied to me, and I'm better off having them out of my Slife.  

• Sad 2

7 hours ago, ananoelle said:

Really! BATMAN has NO powers you'd be bats to prefer him over Kal el. 😂

Except Kal-el is an absolute moron who destroys everything since his only way of dealing with things is punching it to bits.

image.png.116c87c68c6d68665450f09542521758.png

He's essentially the Hulk in red lingerie, and instead of going green when he gets mad, green stuff makes him bad.

• Haha 1

One thing in the world of social media which is kind of what this is it is better to have a circle of friends you are compatible with that compliment you as a friend or virtual date. The turnover and temporary nature of many those relationships these days is a bit more of a modern thing in the selection process. I don’t get offended by it anymore and just see it as an opportunity to meet someone new.   

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yes I have, can only think that person and I did not have enough in common. On the other hand, I have been off SL for several months due to my former computer being broken by a pet and other than leaving updates on my dashboard, just some stuff here. It was not my choice to be offline... Hope to be back shortly to see all the 16B sims.

Edited by SierraStyles

i have but not by anybody on here tho lol it was on another diff. virtual world tho :P But i would legit hate to be ghosted on in general tbh…😣

I believe that I've been "ghosted" once, according to the definition given in the first post in this thread. I'm not ghosted anymore, but, well, here's a story... when I've been a relatively new resident on the grid (few months on the mileage counter) I've met a person, who after few weeks turned out to be a great conversations companion, then friend I was able to count on, then a romantic lover, finally a Second Life official partner. Everything a girl could dream about; And after next few months that person just... vanished. Suddenly, without a word. "Parted ways" and left me thinking what has happened - no answers to my messages, no more visible in the spots we usually were visiting, yet - I've seen that the person was coming online, judging by "last online" dates in the few groups we've been still sharing. After few rather hard weeks I've finally got over it and decided to continue alone. I've forgot about that person after next several months. Then... after - I think - two / three years I've got a notecard in which that person apologized for running away from me like that and found it ironic that the person _to_ they ran away did exactly the same thing to them, as they - to me. I was neutral at that point, I've accepted the apology and even sympathized with them a bit; Since then, I believe I didn't give anyone a reason to ghost me. Heck, sometimes people think I'm ghosting them, and every time I need to explain that I just don't talk or type that much. ;)

On 10/26/2018 at 9:57 PM, GuyJee said:

You got along well with someone, suddenly he/she stops replying, ignores you, or blocks you from everywhere.

How was your reaction? What do you think about that?

what will happen if you take too long to reply back during IM’s some will assume you are busy or you are talking to multiple people instead of focusing on them.  some girl i was dating blocked me cause of this

59 minutes ago, ballparkdogg said:

what will happen if you take too long to reply back during IM’s some will assume you are busy or you are talking to multiple people instead of focusing on them.  some girl i was dating blocked me cause of this

yes

i have sometimes been invited into IM conversations with people.  And sometimes they are wanting to be intimate.  Their responses are lagging. Minutes between responses sometimes

in the first instance I say to them that if they are busy doing other things, SL or RL then that's fine. And it would better if they just do that. That I am ok with not continuing the conversation, and I happy to pick it up again as they like when they have more time

sometimes the person will say stuff like sorry sorry I had to answer something but I am good now. Then lag lag lag continues

in the second instance, I typically then say to this person: Suppose you were on a RL dinner date at their invitation, and your date kept answering their phone while you were trying to have a conversation with them ? What would you do ?  Or lets level this up.  Suppose you were in bed with someone in RL and they kept answering their phone ?  What would you do ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

in the second instance, I typically then say to this person: Suppose you were on a RL dinner date at their invitation, and your date kept answering their phone while you were trying to have a conversation with them ? What would you do ?  Or lets level this up.  Suppose you were in bed with someone in RL and they kept answering their phone ?  What would you do ? 

Before or after I destroy the phone?

• Haha 3

in my case,  I wasn't talking to anyone.  I wasn't posting as fast as she would like.  it happens and  if I am with a girl or on an sl date, I tell everyone that IM's me that I am busy.

• Thanks 1