Meow2016

Think Tank Gypsy

I just got done watching all the bbc / tlc shows on Gypsies ..  Now I just wish there was an rp for it here in SL. Anyone want to think tank the idea with me?

Pros:

Family clans: with almost kingdom heirarchys , cool campers or old fashioned wagons, wild clothes very much like current sl style, parties, horses, sulky racing, boxing, lots of kids included cause family dynamics,  giant wedding dresses & fabulous weddings, wild funerals, drama & fights like a soap opera,  witchcraft (some mix witch craft and christian ) 

Cons: 

where's  the plot?, no external conflict without town gorgers, need cops, insensitive?,  shows dont  explain  the shady side much,  no clue on set up, need lots people and heads of families,  probs more , have to narrow down location irish travelers, romni, etc , time old or modern 

I would go get some land and let people bring campers but then  what? 

Yeahh, OP may have all of the best intentions and stuff, but it is a bit weird, especially being from europe where discrimination against Romani is still very much an issue, seeing how a lot of people in SL RP seem to treat 'gypsies' as some kind of magical fantasy race. When they very much exist in reality and still deal with a lot of crap and stereotypes.

Maybe it would be better to take it one step further and make up a whole new fantasy race/culture with some of the aspects people want from the whole 'gypsy' thing? Idk, just a thought. Would still require enough uniqueness to not just come off as gypsies by a different name.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Nyx Karas said:

Maybe it would be better to take it one step further and make up a whole new fantasy race/culture with some of the aspects people want from the whole 'gypsy' thing?

Terry Pratchett has done this for them...

The Zoons...

Nomadic riverboat clans, shipping goods up and down the great rivers of the world on their barges, Zoons have their own rather insular culture, largely as a result of a genetic inability to LIE...

However over the centuries, rare examples of Zoons capable of telling things that are less than 100% accurate have been encouraged, and these days their descendants tend to hold positions of authority, as "Zoon Tribal Liars", charged with all dealings with non Zoons!

Historical Note: The first recorded Zoon Proto-Lie was "Actually, my father was quite tall..."

• Haha 2

I feel like the best option is to just gather some people who want to play a Romani family/clan and go apply to an rp sim that fits what you're wanting to do. I would just try to do your research on the romani and try to do them justice. Which btw, "Gypsy" is a slur, so keep that in mind when you roleplay a romani and decide how they will react to being called such. I should add, not ALL romani see Gypsy as a slur/insult. Research is your friend. -nods-

Edited by Mikayla Northman
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Mikayla Northman said:

I feel like the best option is to just gather some people who want to play a Romani family/clan and go apply to an rp sim that fits what you're wanting to do. I would just try to do your research on the romani and try to do them justice. Which btw, "Gypsy" is a slur, so keep that in mind when you roleplay a romani and decide how they will react to being called such. I should add, not ALL romani see Gypsy as a slur/insult. Research is your friend. -nods-

You should also note that not all Gypsies are Romani, there were Irish ones as well.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

You should also note that not all Gypsies are Romani, there were Irish ones as well.

Yes.  Travellers.  Some people call them Tinkers.  I'm sure I have a little in me.

Rosehaven has a cozy little Gyspy population ? wagons leave in the winter, but it's a nice place to create a story ❤️