How do I buy Land

FauxyLauxy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am a relatively new Premium Member and I want to get the 1024 sq m land that comes with membership.  Since I have never purchased land before, I would like to get the specific steps I need to do.  I know parts of the procedure, but not all of it.

As I understand it, I do the following...

1. Find land for sale - Easily done in-world with the search option

2. Be sure I have the required money to buy it

3. Contact the current land owner to arrange the purchase.

That's as far as I know.  I have no idea what I need to do (aside from paying the land owner) to get ownership transferred to me.

I would appreciate any help

Thank you

FauxyLauxy

3 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, FauxyLauxy said:

I am a relatively new Premium Member and I want to get the 1024 sq m land that comes with membership.  Since I have never purchased land before, I would like to get the specific steps I need to do.  I know parts of the procedure, but not all of it.

That's as far as I know.  I have no idea what I need to do (aside from paying the land owner) to get ownership transferred to me.

Thank you

FauxyLauxy

First of all your 1024 allowance applies to mainland only.

Start by reading this

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/buying-land-r14/Section_.2

When I bought my mainland it was just a case of find the land i wanted at the right size,  right click the land and buy.  Then it was mine.  I didn't have to contact anyone.  it was an easy process. 

53 minutes ago, FauxyLauxy said:

Thank you

FauxyLauxy

You don't actually need to contact the current land owner.  Your 1024 sqm tier allowance is only good for mainland and when you find something, you simply right click the land and buy it - the land immediately belongs to you. 

I highly recommend @Lindal Kidd's class on buying land - Sat, I believe at Caledon Oxbridge University inworld.  She'll be along soon to provide specifics.

Hi Fauxy!

You're pretty much correct, except for a couple of minor things.

First, be sure that you are looking at Mainland.  This is pretty easy to do in the Search/Land and Rentals/View all Land and Rentals window...just select Mainland as the type of land you are looking for.  Once you find a parcel you are interested in, and teleport there, it's easy to double check.  Right click the ground, select About Land.  In the General tab of the window, it will have an entry for "Type".  That should say "Mainland/Full."

Second, you don't have to contact the current owner.  You CAN, if you want...possibly you think her price is too high, and want to offer a lower one.  However, if you like the asking price, or have settled on a price, don't pay the owner directly.  In the About Land window, there is a button, "Buy This Land".  Click that, and follow the instructions to pay for the land.  You pay LL via this method, and they transfer the money to the seller.

Once you have done that...congratulations!  You're a new landowner!

A few more things you may want to check first:

• Check the sim performance.  Shift+1 will bring up a statistics panel, but a good basic check is to just look at your frame rate...check to see that it's about the same, or higher, as you see on the regions you normally visit.
  • Check where the parcel borders are.  You can make them visible with World/Show More/Property Lines.
  • Look around at the neighboring parcels...is there anything there so ugly that you can't live with it?
  • Fly straight up into the sky and look around you at several different altitudes.  Is there anything up there that's so awful that you can't bear to think of living next door to it?  (The maximum build limit is 4096m, so you don't have to check higher than that.)
  • Check the ground textures.  On the Mainland, you're stuck with the ground textures LL applied.  If you don't like the look, you can hide it with prims, though.
  • If the land is waterfront, right click the ground under the water, beyond your parcel's border.  Who owns it?  If it's "Governor Linden" or "Linden Department of Public Works", your parcel is assured of keeping its water access.  We say it is "protected."  If another resident owns the water beyond your border, there's the chance they might build on it, or terraform the seabed to make more land, blocking your access to the water.

My Land class is on Saturdays, at 12 noon SL time, at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free to attend!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2004 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.