Jump to content
LifeOfSheree

America's Black Slavery in Second Life

Recommended Posts

It was brought to my attention within Second Life circles on Facebook that there is a group involving a role play group for black slavery set on American principles. There are role play groups which are racially mixed with on in control over the other as a sexual fetish which is fine by me. It's not for me however many people do have the fetish of bi racial D/s like Bulls where submissive white women submit to black men as a sexual fetish just as there is similar D/s roleplay across the grid.

My concern is about Linden Lab having become another space to encourage the normalisation of out dated slavery which is not a sexual fetish but the participation of encourage racial supremacist ideology. It does not matter which why such racial aggression is weighted but that is happening. I do not bring my personal political views into Second Life to influence others. I leave that outside of Second Life. I do not mind political movements having their own private groups where they're not trying to force their ideals upon other people.

I am feeling discouraged to find Second Life having become another platform to influence racial supremacy and I feel will be the downfall of Linden Lab as a business if they permit this ideology to flourish. As much as I love my Second Life, I have to consider having anything to do with Linden Lab if they are choosing to allow this to spread across the grid and destroy communities as a result of this wave of hate.


Sheree

 

 

Edited by Dakota Linden
Moderator Edit: Image removed
  • Confused 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, LifeOfSheree said:

There are role play groups which are racially mixed with on in control over the other as a sexual fetish which is fine by me.

/me sighs relieved.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LifeOfSheree said:

It was brought to my attention ..

so there are black men for white girls ... and white girls for black men, black girls for white men, and white men for black girls.. .... sounds like a balance for me, and as it is mixed nothing to do with racism.

As you say: it's RP .. can't imagine it spreads so deep on SL that it will " destroy communities as a result of this wave of hate. ".. they just want to play wit "big things" you know what i mean..

let's forbid all BDSM and family play too... in special that last one, most kids get abused at home by family.

Edited by Ethan Paslong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LifeOfSheree said:

It was brought to my attention within Second Life circles on Facebook that there is a group involving a role play group for black slavery set on American principles. There are role play groups which are racially mixed with on in control over the other as a sexual fetish which is fine by me. It's not for me however many people do have the fetish of bi racial D/s like Bulls where submissive white women submit to black men as a sexual fetish just as there is similar D/s roleplay across the grid.

My concern is about Linden Lab having become another space to encourage the normalisation of out dated slavery which is not a sexual fetish but the participation of encourage racial supremacist ideology. It does not matter which why such racial aggression is weighted but that is happening. I do not bring my personal political views into Second Life to influence others. I leave that outside of Second Life. I do not mind political movements having their own private groups where they're not trying to force their ideals upon other people.

I am feeling discouraged to find Second Life having become another platform to influence racial supremacy and I feel will be the downfall of Linden Lab as a business if they permit this ideology to flourish. As much as I love my Second Life, I have to consider having anything to do with Linden Lab if they are choosing to allow this to spread across the grid and destroy communities as a result of this wave of hate.

Well, firstly I can pretty much guarantee you that THAT group.....boils down to sexual fetish. You can tell just by reading the description that its probably aimed at dominants and masochists. However, I feel you are worrying too much about something that really won't ever happen. Groups like this have been around in SL a long long time and yet the grid has not devolved into an arena of racial hatred. Yes there are racists in SL but in my own experience no more than you experience in RL. In fact I can't honestly remember the last time I encountered someone who judged someone negatively based on their race. That is not to say I agree with the group you have posted a picture of. I hate racism, more so than you will probably ever know. I have slightly tanned skin in RL and I come from a small island in the UK where at one point they were not the most progressive and I experienced all kinds of hatred from my peers as a child. But worrying about SL becoming another platform to influence racial supremacy....won't happen. You can guarantee that within six months of SL opening its doors some morons created some group named something like "F*** all black...." or "KKK Official" or "White People are the..." and those groups probably gained a good number of members and may have even had a small parcel somewhere that they all liked to meet up and circle jerk one another.....and yet.....here we are 15 years later and their influence is negligible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LifeOfSheree said:

It was brought to my attention within Second Life circles on Facebook that there is a group involving a role play group for black slavery set on American principles. There are role play groups which are racially mixed with on in control over the other as a sexual fetish which is fine by me. It's not for me however many people do have the fetish of bi racial D/s like Bulls where submissive white women submit to black men as a sexual fetish just as there is similar D/s roleplay across the grid.

My concern is about Linden Lab having become another space to encourage the normalisation of out dated slavery which is not a sexual fetish but the participation of encourage racial supremacist ideology. It does not matter which why such racial aggression is weighted but that is happening. I do not bring my personal political views into Second Life to influence others. I leave that outside of Second Life. I do not mind political movements having their own private groups where they're not trying to force their ideals upon other people.

I am feeling discouraged to find Second Life having become another platform to influence racial supremacy and I feel will be the downfall of Linden Lab as a business if they permit this ideology to flourish. As much as I love my Second Life, I have to consider having anything to do with Linden Lab if they are choosing to allow this to spread across the grid and destroy communities as a result of this wave of hate.


Sheree

 

 

hey its roleplay so its all good.

I'm sure theres a disclaimer stating that somewhere in the description plus the phrase "no real racists allowed"

Edited by Dakota Linden
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's sexual fetish play is all.. It's been around since forever and a day on the grid..

I don't think you have to worry about a wave of hate going across the grid..

 

They are a little tied up right now..:P

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am just concerned, and have been for a while, that the "Americanized" (black only) type of slavery has become accepted as the "one true" type of Slavery.  It is actually a distortion of the types of slavery that have existed over history.  Sadly many of the historical Slavery societies have been "cleaned up" in the history books.

 

* note that I am submissive in both RL and SL, but a consensual one!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Seashellly said:

I am just concerned, and have been for a while, that the "Americanized" (black only) type of slavery has become accepted as the "one true" type of Slavery.  It is actually a distortion of the types of slavery that have existed over history.  Sadly many of the historical Slavery societies have been "cleaned up" in the history books.

 

* note that I am submissive in both RL and SL, but a consensual one!

 

I soo want to jump in on this with you,but I just don't want to be tide to this thread for the rest of the day..

I'm Native myself and had this long post typed up and almost hit  submit..

Then realized,I'll be here all day  or until it gets locked,defending myself..

So yea, I'm just going to wait  for another time

hehehehe

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LifeOfSheree said:

My concern is about Linden Lab having become another space to encourage the normalisation of out dated slavery which is not a sexual fetish but the participation of encourage racial supremacist ideology.

So you don't have a problem with White Sex Slaves for Black Masters...

Just with Black Sex Slaves for White Masters...

...

So, you are an Un-Equal-Opportunities Bigot?

3 hours ago, LifeOfSheree said:

I do not bring my personal political views into Second Life to influence others. I leave that outside of Second Life. I do not mind political movements having their own private groups where they're not trying to force their ideals upon other people.

Yes you do, that is exactly what you are doing here...

3 hours ago, LifeOfSheree said:

I have to consider having anything to do with Linden Lab if they are choosing to allow this to spread across the grid and destroy communities as a result of this wave of hate.

Goodbye!

Oh, can we have your stuff?

51 minutes ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Yes there are racists in SL but in my own experience no more than you experience in RL. In fact I can't honestly remember the last time I encountered someone who judged someone negatively based on their race.

Indeed there are, the last one I encountered was right here on the Forum... A well known poster who stated in one thread that SL had "too many with coloniser skin tones" and that SL's skin makers "made too many coloniser skin tones".

Then in another thread they suggested that people from Ethnic group A, in countries where Ethnic group A are 90-95% of the population, should be FORCED to make Ethic Group B and C avatars so that SL's apparent Ethnic makeup matched that of the San Fran Bay Area, because "places with too many coloniser skin tones" caused her mental trauma...

17 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Then realized,I'll be here all day  or until it gets locked,defending myself..

Happily, I feel no need to defend my self against the "Lets play Piss on the White Folks again because we can get away with it despite being blatantly racist and violating the ToS" crew...

 
 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Klytyna said:

Happily, I feel no need to defend my self against the "Lets play Piss on the White Folks again because we can get away with it despite being blatantly racist and violating the ToS" crew...

I have to say I get tired of that myself.. I'm in another forum right now reading something about PETA saying  something about people that can drink milk are racists.. lol

It's getting ridicules really..

Mine that I didn't post, had nothing to do with white people..It had everything to do with the forgotten, that never make those lists or stats that pop up..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Better ban porn from the internets too, before it turns all the men into rapists.

And ban comic books.

And Jazz music!

Now get off my lawn!

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seashellly said:

I am just concerned, and have been for a while, that the "Americanized" (black only) type of slavery has become accepted as the "one true" type of Slavery.

I think SL's Goreans may disagree with you there.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huh. I am totally indifferent on this subject (specifically: in SL)

Well, Linden Lab is based in the United States, which has a Constitution, the first amendment to which guarantees free speech and the Supreme Court has ruled that "free speech" includes the "freedom of association".

In short: the very reason for this Constitutional Amendment is as a response to Forum posts like the OP.

I use the "N" word all the time too. Nincompoop, Nitwit, Neandertal, Numbscull... 

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LifeOfSheree said:

I am feeling discouraged to find Second Life having become another platform to influence racial supremacy and I feel will be the downfall of Linden Lab as a business if they permit this ideology to flourish. As much as I love my Second Life, I have to consider having anything to do with Linden Lab if they are choosing to allow this to spread across the grid and destroy communities as a result of this wave of hate.

 

While I share your distaste for the sort of RP you describe, I'm pretty sure that you'll find LL are unwilling -- and quite rightly so -- to start trying to police all the various forms of RP in SL.   In order to do that they'd need to assign a lot more people to the Governance team, I think.

However, if you have actual evidence that people are spreading "this wave of hate" across the grid and thus "destroy[ing] communities", then I'm sure that LL will respond appropriately to complaints about harassment and intolerance, both of which are against community standards.    But while these RPers stay in their own RP enclaves and keep themselves to themselves,  I think LL will continue to take the attitude that policing SL role-play is like herding cats.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

Well, Linden Lab is based in the United States, which has a Constitution, the first amendment to which guarantees free speech and the Supreme Court has ruled that "free speech" includes the "freedom of association".

In short: the very reason for this Constitutional Amendment is as a response to Forum posts like the OP.

The first amendment to the US constitution is about what government can and can't do.   It says nothing whatsoever ever private businesses like LL.

Thus, a US citizen may express his or her opinions without fear of reprisal from the government, but private businesses don't have to help that person broadcast those opinions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Seashellly said:

I am just concerned, and have been for a while, that the "Americanized" (black only) type of slavery has become accepted as the "one true" type of Slavery.  It is actually a distortion of the types of slavery that have existed over history.  Sadly many of the historical Slavery societies have been "cleaned up" in the history books.

 

* note that I am submissive in both RL and SL, but a consensual one!

 

slavery has existed throughout history right up until present day in fact, but its only really evil or even mentioned if its whites enslaving blacks

In the end the "peculiar institution" wasn't really peculiar at all, it was just the way it was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I soo want to jump in on this with you,but I just don't want to be tide to this thread for the rest of the day..

I'm Native myself and had this long post typed up and almost hit  submit..

Then realized,I'll be here all day  or until it gets locked,defending myself..

So yea, I'm just going to wait  for another time

hehehehe

 

 

 

maybe you can save us a lot if time and effort and heartache and bans if u report it now and get it locked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

maybe you can save us a lot if time and effort and heartache and bans if u report it now and get it locked.

Or, you can just do it yourself..

Do I look like I work at the welfare office,Chip?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The question should be, "Is slavery, in any form such as sexual, historical, fantasy, allowable in roleplay?" I'd have to say yes. Roleplay is entertainment and I don't think slavery in SL will cause any acceptance of actual slavery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I have to say I get tired of that myself.. I'm in another forum right now reading something about PETA saying  something about people that can drink milk are racists.. lol

It's getting ridicules really..

Mine that I didn't post, had nothing to do with white people..It had everything to do with the forgotten, that never make those lists or stats that pop up..

racism against white people is quite acceptable. In fact our very own peace and love buddhist posted a hateful picture of a white family in another thread. Im really surprised she couldn't find one that included a Christian Bible in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Or, you can just do it yourself..

Do I look like I work at the welfare office,Chip?

i already got the picture removed, do i have to do everything?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

The first amendment to the US constitution is about what government can and can't do.   It says nothing whatsoever ever private businesses like LL.

Thus, a US citizen may express his or her opinions without fear of reprisal from the government, but private businesses don't have to help that person broadcast those opinions.

This is true. Though there is also that "safe harbor" law that says Internet hosts are not responsible for what their users say or do (within reason) - which means if LL were to police what the OP complains about, then they'll have to police the Oppen Collar sim, the Gorean sim, and all kinds of other (75%?) content in SL. Because that law says so. You have to be all-out or all-in, no in-betweens, except for DMCA, etc.

!2 years ago LL was 100% hands-off. It blew up in their faces. I think they still try to stay hands-off wherever they can. And they (LL) have used the "constitutional rights, so not illegal" argument before. ~shrugs~

And that's what it all really boils down to, right? Whether it's illegal or goes astray from TOS. Community Standards are a lot more ambiguous.

Edited by Alyona Su

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Phorumities said:

i already got the picture removed, do i have to do everything?

If you want it locked,I guess so.. I didn't have any intentions on getting it locked..

I just have the feeling that's where it's going to end up is why I said the word locked at all.

hehehehe

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

While I share your distaste for the sort of RP you describe, I'm pretty sure that you'll find LL are unwilling -- and quite rightly so -- to start trying to police all the various forms of RP in SL.   In order to do that they'd need to assign a lot more people to the Governance team, I think.

However, if you have actual evidence that people are spreading "this wave of hate" across the grid and thus "destroy[ing] communities", then I'm sure that LL will respond appropriately to complaints about harassment and intolerance, both of which are against community standards.    But while these RPers stay in their own RP enclaves and keep themselves to themselves,  I think LL will continue to take the attitude that policing SL role-play is like herding cats.

This, pretty much exactly.

None of this kind of thing is ever black and white (pun unintended, but probably unavoidable). Part of me would love to engage with these people about the sheer stupidity and evil of the ideology implied by this kind of ugly garbage. But I doubt very much that would achieve much. I might be able to embarrass those who aren't actual white supremacists, but to what end? They're not really the problem anyway, and the idiots who do embrace the racist ideology are hardly going to listen to me.

I'd love to see this kind of RP end -- but because the people engaging in it have come to recognize how ugly, stupid, and evil it is, not because it's been banned. The problem isn't the role play: it's the racist attitudes behind it, and while a ban might extinguish the former, it does nothing to address the latter. Bans treat the symptoms, not the disease.

The real "answer" is education, in the schools, but also discussion about the issues in public venues (of which this forum is a tiny but not entirely insignificant example). 

 

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
For emphasis
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...