Stack heap collisions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, friends..

For the past several days, I've been getting stack heap collision and runtime error messages involving Lelutka Simon 3.0 head and Lelutka Omega Installer. I've opened a fresh copy of both several times with no luck. I'm not able to use Omega appliers with the head now either. I've gone to Hippo Hollow to see if maybe its a problem with my land, but, I got the error message when I tped there too. The Chloe head and the Lelutka Omega installer work just fine.. no errors. I've tried to get help in the Omega group chat .. but mods don't respond! So.. when in need, bring it to the Forum. Can anyone give me some ideas on how to fix this mess? Thank you ?

runtime mess.png

I suggest you contact LeLutka for help. The Stack Heap error is a server side problem with the script using more memory than is available. Not likely a local computer or viewer issue.

Once you see it, you you have a sticky problem. The system is designed to remember script state. Log off and the system saves script states, which includes all the memory being used. TP to a new region and the system transfers the script variables/memory/state to the next server, script problems included.

The troubleshooting steps are to take off the HUDs and related objects, give it a minute then TP to a new region. There you'll want to wear new copies of the items. The copies need to come from clean original versions preferably not used ones. If the problem persists then go for help from the scripter. In your case Lelutka.

For generalized help and determining if others are seeing the problem try the ANSWERS section of this forum. For more specific help try the Lelutka group in-world. If no one answers a question in the group, keep trying. Re-ask every hour or two until you get an answer. I can never know where the designer lives and what what time zone I'm dealing with. Some designers are in Italy or the UK, so SLT mornings are better for in-world help.

Besure you check with Lelutka for how to contact them. My messages cap out. So, people have to send me a note card if they want to be sure I see their message.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

• 1 year later...
On 1/27/2020 at 6:35 PM, Marilore Heinkel said:

How do you fix it?

I'm guessing this bit - 

Quote: ... take off the HUDs and related objects, give it a minute then TP to a new region. There you'll want to wear new copies of the items. The copies need to come from clean original versions preferably not used ones

PS - Ive taken to making back ups of expensive stuff like heads and bodies before I even use them. A right click of the item in Inv, select Copy, then select Paste into a folder of choice.

Edited by rasterscan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
5 hours ago, Neil Foggarty said:

Would a script reset fix then?

No, simply resetting the script will not clear up the server error.

@Nalates Urriah's post above, paragraphs 1, 2 and 3, spells out the problem and its solution. That is your only route to successfully clean things up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You can't reset no-modify scripts.

Actually, you can, as long as the object itself is mod-ok. Make sure you make a copy first, however, because some scripted objects might expect that some scripts (*) are reset last or in a given order, and you might go through a lot of hit and miss (with possible permanent breakage of the item, depending on how bad it got scripted, such as when some scripts store data in the prim description or such, and would store bogus data when the reset order is bad).

(*) Usually the ones in the root primitive, and among them sometimes scripts responsible for the whole script set initialization sequence, which could be reflected in their name (scripts with ”main” or ”init” in their name, for example).

Edited by Henri Beauchamp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 11 months later...
On 10/24/2018 at 7:19 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

Once you see it, you you have a sticky problem. The system is designed to remember script state. Log off and the system saves script states, which includes all the memory being used. TP to a new region and the system transfers the script variables/memory/state to the next server, script problems included.

The troubleshooting steps are to take off the HUDs and related objects, give it a minute then TP to a new region. There you'll want to wear new copies of the items. The copies need to come from clean original versions preferably not used ones. If the problem persists then go for help from the scripter. In your case Lelutka.

I know this is an old thread but the same thing happened to someone just today and I was able to help reading this. So, thank you so much. :) 

My question about the sticky problem is, wouldn't a script reset solve it?

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, OliveTree Lighthouse said:

My question about the sticky problem is, wouldn't a script reset solve it?

Some of the stickiness there is because the script in question was inside a no-mod commercial HUD, and it's impossible to reset scripts in a no-mod object.  If instead the script is in a modifiable object, a reset would be one step, but depending on the specific script error it may be necessary to set the script running, or even recompile it to bring it back to life. And depending on how it's scripted, it may do something stupid if it's worn while being reset, and/or to collect its senses it may need to be re-attached after being reset.

Scripts can do all sorts of silly things at the scripter's whim so it's a fool's errand to try guarding against them all. My practice is to whack them with ever larger hammers until they either comply or are broken forever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2023 at 5:33 AM, Qie Niangao said:

it's impossible to reset scripts in a no-mod object.

Shift-copy* resets scripts, which can be used as a very unintuitive hack to reset scripts in no-mod but copy-able objects.

*By which I mean, rez the object in-world, right click on it-> edit, hold shift and drag one of the arrows. The copy that is moved will be the original not-working (presumably) copy, and a version with reset scripts will be where it was before being moved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Shift-copy* resets scripts, which can be used as a very unintuitive hack to reset scripts in no-mod but copy-able objects.

*By which I mean, rez the object in-world, right click on it-> edit, hold shift and drag one of the arrows. The copy that is moved will be the original not-working (presumably) copy, and a version with reset scripts will be where it was before being moved.

This is some big-brain thinking!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What arrows does this refer to?

(couldn't be bothered to take a new screenshot in world so here's an old one):

Bezier Toy (boxed) (fixed perms)

The red, green and blue control arrows that let you move an object while it's selected in edit mode and the 'move' tool is active. (I.E. neither the stretch nor align tools are active)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

(couldn't be bothered to take a new screenshot in world so here's an old one):

Bezier Toy (boxed) (fixed perms)

The red, green and blue control arrows that let you move an object while it's selected in edit mode and the 'move' tool is active. (I.E. neither the stretch nor align tools are active)

JF5uyHz.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Quistess Alpha said:

So now that I understand this better..it does sound a little familiar.  Why is this not considered an "exploit"? Alternatively, if it is an "undocumented feature" then it could benefit many people.  Unless, resetting "no-mod scripts" would lead to more issues than solutions (if made easier).

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

So now that I understand this better..it does sound a little familiar.  Why is this not considered an "exploit"? Alternatively, if it is an "undocumented feature" then it could benefit many people.  Unless, resetting "no-mod scripts" would lead to more issues than solutions (if made easier).

I don't think it's an exploit because I wouldn't really consider it resetting the scripts so much as making a fresh copy, almost the same as rezzing a new one from Inventory. But not quite the same because it preserves much of the state of the already rezzed one being shift-copied. If I've used a script in that one to tint it a different color, for example, that tint will be on the shift-copied instance too, unless that script reverts tinting on reset. Other attributes don't carry over, but that set has changed over the years: I couldn't tell you whether a particle system does or doesn't survive shift-copy nowadays. Or texture animation. Or llTargetOmega. Or looped sound. Etc. It's always a surprise to me. 😛 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 363 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.