Trying to make a musical instrument

Peridot Nightingale

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm making some kind of stringed instrument.... and I want to know if it's possible to queue sounds across multiple prims. I have two options right now.

OPTION 1

I want it to be that if I touch the first string, the sound inside that string loops, and if I touch another string, the sound in the first string finishes the loop then plays the sound in the other string.

I am unsure if this is possible because all of my strings are separate prims, and I have no clue how to make two prims "talk" to each other even if they are in the same object.

My goal is to make a "Modular" music system where the user can mix and match sound clips to make a variety of different songs.

Option 2

unless I should simplify my design and go for a "One single note per string thing".... if Option 2 is possible then I would like for there to be a dialog menu that pops up when the base of the instrument is touched. in this menu, you can start a "Recording period", where the instrument remembers which strings were touched, and when the user presses "finish" in this dialog menu, the memorized notes would play back in order like one of those talking parrot thingies....

If it is possible I would like scripts for both Options 1 and 2. I already made my sounds so hopefully everything will work out.

1 hour ago, Techwolf77 said:

If it is possible I would like scripts for both

Then you should post in the In-World Employment or Wanted subforum:
https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/124-commerce-forum/

A third option that I can come up with is using llDetectedTouchST in the "touch" event. (not touch_start) This would allow you to continuously hold on the strings and drag your mouse around to play the different strings, and you won't need any communication. You'd be just checking where the touch happens.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 10/24/2018 at 12:11 AM, Techwolf77 said:

I am unsure if this is possible because all of my strings are separate prims, and I have no clue how to make two prims "talk" to each other even if they are in the same object.

It is possible and as Wulfie said, if you want somebody to write a script for you, the Employment/Wanted forum is the palce to ask.

But there is one thing you need to be aware of if you want to make any kind of lsl powered user controlled musical instrument and that's timing. Even if you live right next to the sim server and have a  perfect connection, it will take at least 1/20th second for the server to even receive the message that you have clicked on a string. That can actually be a long time in music. I'm an RL musician and although I'm not a speed demon, I can - and do soemtimes - play 20 notes a second. Even if you don't play fast, 1/20th second is certainly enough to throw you off the beat. And this is under absolutely ideal conditions, if you live halfway around the world from the server, it may well take a quarter of a second or more for your mouseclick to reach the server. Then of course, the action of the script has to be transferred back to your computer for you to hear the resut and that takes just as long. Many musicians have tried to do live jam over the internet. It can work with slow atmospheric soundscapes but if you want some sort of beat, it's simply not possible

On top of that, the server doesn't exactly exceute scripts with speed and precise timing. You can even see that with something as slow moving and lightly scripted as the seconds hand of a clock. If you watch one in SL, you'll notice how it sometimes skips a second.

• Like 2

I've been thinking about this myself,  perhaps its much better to use javascript, and webprims, though webprims may not be ideal in their current form, you can do quite a lot already.  With javascript could even synthesize the sounds in real time, and play multi-instrument midi sheet music with little to no audio files at all. 

YMMV ?

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.