Markiz Sorbet

Male Fashion - Opinions & Survey

First off, if this is not the right place for this, please let me know!

Hi everyone! 

I'm conducting research to create a database of male businesses in Secondlife.

In 2010, I had created a notecard of landmarks to hundreds of male stores that were my favorites in SL - I found over the years that many of these stores closed.

Present day, I'm finding it more and more difficult to find quality male clothing. The marketplace is saturated with female items, and it sometimes takes a while to find a single piece for an outfit I'm putting together. I imagine I'm not the same person in this situation, and I wanted to create a place to easily search male shops that exist either in-world and on the marketplace.

If you have a few minutes, I've created a survey to start this project.

Or if you'd rather comment below, please tell me your thoughts on your favorite male shops in SL!

There are at least 3 events that I am aware of for male clothing.  Maybe that would be a good place to start for your database?  

• Like 2

Thanks Cindy! I'm aware of all the mainstream events/hunts. I have a great bulky list to start off, but in conjunction with mainstream SL, I'm additionally looking for lesser known creators and startups. 

Over the past year, I continuously see the same male fashion creators in every event. Although those better known shops may still be included in the database, I'm also looking for lesser known creators/shops. 

I appreciate your feedback!

• Like 1

well don't think I can do the survey since I am not a guy, but I can say that My hubby in SL, has the same issue you do Markiz,  when he hears of one he didn't know about he checks it out and he keeps a list of the ones he likes..  hate to say it but that list is pretty short.  He keeps bugging me to make men's stuff, so I made a few items, but I gotta say I had to dump a whole lot more than ever got to the store lol.. mainly because according to my hubby they were too feminine lol.. so obviously I am not suited to making male clothing lol..  Anyhow, if you get a list going again I know he would be interested.. I will send him to the link for the survey. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

There are at least 3 events that I am aware of for male clothing.  Maybe that would be a good place to start for your database?  

MoM

TMD

Mancave

Men Jail

Equal10 (mixed, but always also some things for guys)

Fameshed (often also some items for guys)

HME

if you visit these you have a list of  30/40/50 creators in a few minutes...

tip: http://seraphimsl.com/

join l'homme group inworld ...

just some brands:

Cold Ash

ZED

Versov

Ascend

Cubura

Deadwool

GAS

Kalback

Native Urban

Noche

Riot

ROC

A&D

Egoism

Gabriel

Clef de Peau ( yes also clothing :)  )

Lenox

Fashinonatic

Gild

Legal Insanity

Meva

PBM

Belleza

[SM]

Parker

Etham

Erik Storm

Lavarock

Dufaux

NSS

the Oak

Horr

most are mainstream.. but when visiting the shops you find a lot more than the most popular items, also visit the satelite shops at many of those big events.. there's a lot to find.

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Tazzie Tuque said:

He keeps bugging me to make men's stuff, so I made a few items, but I gotta say I had to dump a whole lot more than ever got to the store lol.. mainly because according to my hubby they were too feminine

DON'T DUMP THAT STUFF!

God, there's more than enough butch/macho menswear out there as it is. What's lacking is the stuff that's a little way out of the norm: the stuff that isn't sweatpants, beach shorts, tank tops, sweatshirts, sneakers, denim jackets, leather biker jackets, hoodies, plain sweaters, plaid shirts, jeans, logo t-shirts, and tattoos.

All that stuff listed up there is ten-a-penny in SL. It's everywhere you turn, and fills much of every menswear event. What's missing, what's needed is something different from all that. It's a massive gap in the market, and so many designers are missing out because they think that kind of stuff won't be worn.

That 'too feminine' male stuff that your husband dislikes? There are hundreds of guys in SL who would jump at the chance to wear it. It's a huge struggle for those of us who don't want to wear the normal/average/boring stuff that we see everywhere in SL, and it's why that 'unusual' stuff gets jumped on so fast by us. Think of how popular the Hotdog store got, literally in the space of about a month. They landed a spot at Men Only Monthly at the end of August this year, several of us male bloggers were all over their jackets that month, and now they're releasing one amazing thing after another and getting into lots of events.

Need some inspiration? Check out my 'Howl' Pinterest board for things that I would love to see brought into SL for men. (And, for the love of god, if anyone decides to make some of it please don't rig it all only for Jake and Gianni!) And I will also repeat my well-worn chant: HEELS FOR MEN, PLEASE! ;)

• Like 2

On 10/21/2018 at 12:57 AM, Skell Dagger said:

What's lacking is the stuff that's a little way out of the norm: the stuff that isn't sweatpants, beach shorts, tank tops, sweatshirts, sneakers, denim jackets, leather biker jackets, hoodies, plain sweaters, plaid shirts, jeans, logo t-shirts, and tattoos.

I feel you, I really need more unusual outfit in SL than those, boring, t-shirt with logo and stuff, polo, etc. If only I have more knowledge to create outfit like that, I'm gonna make plenty of those unique outfit. :(