Town Hall Meeting with Grumpity, Oz, and Patch Linden - November 15

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

On the other hand, if the private region is totally isolated (not connected to any other regions), does it then really matter at all where on the grid the region is located?

Yes. Set home and picks are to a fixed location on the entire grid. If you move a private region, home points and all picks are invalidated. This is a bad thing.

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

Or is there some mental thing going on perhaps "I want to have my totally isolated region close a particular place - on the map"?

Mental? pfft. I like watching a certain group of regions for green dots just by lazily opening my map without doing anything more.

1 hour ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

I don't believe Zindra needs a land bridge or water way going to it at all.

No, Zindra should never be connected, due to being Adult. But Zindra should have it's missing edges filled in with LInden Land. Openspace quality would do fine for this, the cost to the Lab would be minimal.

This whole point of joining the continents has been discussed a lot on the forums. Great suggestions like hyper-portals remain my favourite as there is minimal impact to rivate regions yet you can stilll warp a vehicle from one continent to another. But in the decade we've asked for it, the Lab have ignored us.

Edited by Callum Meriman

57 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

On the other hand, if the private region is totally isolated (not connected to any other regions), does it then really matter at all where on the grid the region is located? TP to other places works always as fast where ever it is. The distance to other places plays no role what comes to how fast you can TP to other places. Every place is as close as any other place.

Or is there some mental thing going on perhaps "I want to have my totally isolated region close a particular place - on the map"?

I don't know what you mean by 'mental thing' and I hope that's not a dig at people with mental problems. I did choose my particular spot for my own reasons and it certainly does matter to me.  Tping is irrelevant.  Stop guessing.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I don't know what you mean by 'mental thing' and I hope that's not a dig at people with mental problems. I did choose my particular spot for my own reasons and it certainly does matter to me.  Tping is irrelevant.  Stop guessing.

Ufff... what I said has absolutely nothing to do about people with mental problems.
I used the word "mental" just to relate to the mind in general, not to "mental problems", which didn't even come to my mind.
But unfortunately my choice of word gave you that impression. Sorry about my ambiguous choice of word.

What  I meant was just that is there some special reason that a totally isolated region would be near to some other specific regions?
And it looks like as if it indeed is so, at least for you. And I wonder why it matters?

For me the location of my isolated region on the grid (if I owned one, which I don't at the moment) wouldn't matter at all.
Why would it matter, it would be totally isolated, you would not be able to go anywhere from there without using TP.
Is TPing really irrelevant? Maybe so if one always stays in the isolated region and has no interest going anywhere else.

25 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Ufff... what I said has absolutely nothing to do about people with mental problems.
I used the word "mental" just to relate to the mind in general, not to "mental problems", which didn't even come to my mind.

Thanks, we can’t read your mind, that would be just mental, literally.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

What  I meant was just that is there some special reason that a totally isolated region would be near to some other specific regions?
And it looks like as if it indeed is so, at least for you. And I wonder why it matters?

For me the location of my isolated region on the grid (if I owned one, which I don't at the moment) wouldn't matter at all.
Why would it matter, it would be totally isolated, you would not be able to go anywhere from there without using TP.
Is TPing really irrelevant? Maybe so if one always stays in the isolated region and has no interest going anywhere else.

I tp just fine, when I want to.  Why I wanted my location is my business, not yours.  Did I not say 'stop guessing'?

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Yes. Set home and picks are to a fixed location on the entire grid. If you move a private region, home points and all picks are invalidated. This is a bad thing.

Mental? pfft. I like watching a certain group of regions for green dots just by lazily opening my map without doing anything more.

No, Zindra should never be connected, due to being Adult. But Zindra should have it's missing edges filled in with LInden Land. Openspace quality would do fine for this, the cost to the Lab would be minimal.

This whole point of joining the continents has been discussed a lot on the forums. Great suggestions like hyper-portals remain my favourite as there is minimal impact to rivate regions yet you can stilll warp a vehicle from one continent to another. But in the decade we've asked for it, the Lab have ignored us.

There's no justification for Zindra not being connected. To say it's because it's adult is like saying that Adult sims and moderate sims shouldn't be connected period, and yet they are. The Lindens have embraced the fact that SL is a varied landscape of interests, including adult ones. As someone who at one point was a minor on SL (above the 16+ hard age limit, mind you), I didn't stick around long or was even very active because I was locked down to G-rated sims, and given G-rated simulators take up the minority of all simulators on the grid - to the point that mainland travel is impossible to partake in if you're restricted to them - Suffice it to say, there's not a valid cause to keep Zindra isolated, unless i'm missing something here.

Also, there is nothing to lose from private sim owners having their estates relocated if it did come to that. Simulators are demarcated by Region name, and thereby, a simulator, not some arbitrary location on the map. If you're not connected to the mainland, then there's no issue. If you're part of a multi-owner estate, then yes, there'd have to be some planning, but all in all, you're isolated from the rest of the grid outside of teleporting. And as Callum mentioned (And I failed to look at at the time) - The worst that you'd have to do is reset picks and your home location, which if you can get the simulator name (as sim names are unique), isn't that hard.

Either way, I'm for either going with Zindra being brought into the fold closer to the other continents and all continents being connected by water channels vis-a-vis  the Sansara-Heterocera channel, or what was mentioned below, given it actually works out.

3 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Great suggestions like hyper-portals remain my favourite as there is minimal impact to rivate regions yet you can stilll warp a vehicle from one continent to another. But in the decade we've asked for it, the Lab have ignored us.

I've never seen these hyper-portals in action. As far as I know objects that a avatar is a child to (sitting on) can't be teleported to another region.

On 4/8/2018 at 9:37 AM, Theresa Tennyson said:

In a meeting Simon Linden said that it would be possible to have a region treat another one as a neighbor although they aren't next to another one on the map. (It would even be possible to set up a continuous loop.)

Instead of a long chain of regions it should be possible to create these "channels" with just enough water regions to get a boat or airplane to a point where the world was all water and sky. You could leave one continent, enter the channel and then arrive at the other continent without needing them to appear to connect on the map.

I need to improve my research skills. That or do more research before posting. Either way, This could be an interesting workaround, but given the grid is considered a massive space, camera repositioning might be a interesting endeavor in some situations (Think, a camera going around 1/8ths the speed of light or something, zooming by isolated simulators in the blink of an eye - Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's just someone crossing the Void again.

Edited by Rathgrith027

36 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

To say it's because it's adult is like saying that Adult sims and moderate sims shouldn't be connected period, and yet they are.

Where are adult and moderate regions (the word is not sims) joined? As far as I am aware Mainland doesn't allow this.

38 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

Also, there is nothing to lose from private sim owners having their estates relocated if it did come to that.

All home positions will be invalidated. All picks will be invalidated. As picks are a part of search ranking, moving a region means that venues and shops will drop in search position, I've worked hard to get myself to the top of search in the terms I desire. I do not wish to lose this position due to my region being force moved.

39 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

I've never seen these hyper-portals in action. As far as I know objects that a avatar is a child to (sitting on) can't be teleported to another region.

As Animats has demonstrated, when you are using a vehicle this is the process when a region crossing comes along: When you hit the region edge you are unsat and teleported to the adjoining region (without the intersitial, but it is a teleport). The vehicle is also moved and continues on it's path, you are automatically resat in the vehicle. When a region crossing fails it's because the teleport/resit failed to happen in time, the vehicle sailed more then 64 metres by the time you were in the adjoining region. You end up on the ocean floor with your vehicle sailing on.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Where are adult and moderate regions (the word is not sims) joined? As far as I am aware Mainland doesn't allow this.

Private sims. As far as I am aware, there is no policy in effect stating that Adult sims and Moderate sims must be separate from one another be they on a private or linden estate, outside of a decision by Linden Lab when Zindra was originally made and the GMA rating system was adopted. Please elaborate why, regardless of any existing Linden Lab policies, that Zindra should remain isolated from the other continents.

7 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

All home positions will be invalidated. All picks will be invalidated. As picks are a part of search ranking, moving a region means that venues and shops will drop in search position, I've worked hard to get myself to the top of search in the terms I desire. I do not wish to lose this position due to my region being force moved.

I've since dropped the idea of moving sims around because of this, but still, a system like I mentioned where a border of a simulator would connect to a non-contiguous simulator on another continent would be preferable. I'd rather not have a metaphysical "portal" per se as it doesn't really bode well with my personal preferences, but that's just me.

Edited by Rathgrith027

1 minute ago, Rathgrith027 said:

Private sims. As far as I am aware, there is no policy in effect stating that Adult sims and Moderate sims must be separate from one another, outside of a decision by Linden Lab when Zindra was originally made and the GMA rating system was adopted.

Land ratings were well in place when I started SL in 2006.

But we are not talking about private regions. we are talking about Zindra. And as it's mainland Zindra can't be connected without blowing the rating. Sex can happen in the open on Adult rated Land. Sex must be behind closed doors on Moderate. Someone in a Moderate region would be able to sail right up to the line and see sexual activity. In addition, you would have nongs who set sail from Zindra, naked and erect, to sail down the moderate/general channel to another continent.

Further proof is in the CSP, which allows private region owners to attach their community to the mainland, these must be rating appropriate in the rules of the program.

6 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

but still, a system like I mentioned where a border of a simulator would connect to a non-contiguous simulator on another continent would be preferable. I'd rather not have a metaphysical "portal" per se as it doesn't really bode well with my personal preferences, but that's just me.

Yes, It's what i have been pushing for for a long time. The map can likely be marked with arrows as the linked thread shows. It is a solution that allows sailors and aviators, possibly drivers to travel between regions and it carries only developer cost for the Lab, no ongoing region charges. It would really open the world up for exploration, and it would allow far more people to reach the Blake Sea areas, or other inland oceans, with ease. It would also help with some of the silly land prices around popular areas. 

6 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

I agree that the mainland continents should be combined. The map could be extended so there's plenty of room for the new continent. The continent would be rectangular and the regions sorted by rating (G, then M, then A) and alphabetically within ratings. That would make it much easier to find the region you're looking for and keep the general regions far from the adult regions. It's true that roads would get chopped up just a little, but it would be easy enough to teleport from one road segment to the next. Best of all, it wouldn't affect me. Why would anybody object?  ?

Let the private regions be.

(I hope I went far enough to make it obvious I'm not being serious. If not, then I suggest the ground texture for all of the new continent be a nice plaid.)

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Parhelion Palou said:

If not, then I suggest the ground texture for all of the new continent be a nice plaid.

Why plaid? The LeTigre sandboxes use a tigerskin texture for the ground, that is much cooler. But of course, the best ground texture would be one with lots of My Little Pony pictures all over it. Why haven't LL thought of that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Why plaid? The LeTigre sandboxes use a tigerskin texture for the ground, that is much cooler. But of course, the best ground texture would be one with lots of My Little Pony pictures all over it. Why haven't LL thought of that?

WOOT MLP land, and that Ceiling Cat sun brilliantly made by Bellimora!

catpolcalypse_002.png&key=8d5b918c97f5df

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.