Town Hall Meeting with Grumpity, Oz, and Patch Linden - November 15

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, ellestones said:

:D

yes. off-roading on the ocean floor is one of the best places in terms of render lag to go really fast. And when we go fast then the parcel boundaries can come up really quickly. Bounce me off banlines LL please :)

LOL!

im lucky nearby my land in horizons there is a giant ring of ocean sims around the game sims, you can haul ass in there and theres some great jumps too, best on a day sim crossings are good tho, or I just try to stay in one of the sims if I can help it.

Edit: just checked its 14 almost entirely empty sims with zero ban lines in a huge ring, would be great for a crazy "survive the crossings" to win race event hahaha!

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Panster Moonshadow said:

My question concerns Region Owners and Estate Managers.   If a Region Owner hires an Estate Manager, why can the Manager only see the *scripted* prims owned by others on the estate, and not actual , non-scripted objects?  In the same vein, the actual Region Owner can go to individual parcels and can not see non-scripted objects on the estate/region panel.  Everyone has access to their own land (objects owned by others), but this capability is not afforded Region Owners/Managers.

An estate owner/estate manager can see every single object on the region by going to Build -> Pathfinding -> Region Objects.
From there you can return any object

• Thanks 4

4 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

And as you have found, that doesn't always show up everything either

If you change the filters you can pretty much see EVERYTHING :)

I kept wondering why I never saw the Maitreya body listed in area search when I was at events when I knew at least 50% of the women there were in the body. You have to change the filters to allow attachments and temporary to show up and then the body will be visible in the list.

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Lindens
On 10/24/2018 at 1:28 PM, Aethelwine said:

Another suggestion would be to revisit the confusing Allow Group access option in your parcel settings. To many people this seems fairly innocuous, they reach the option just after allowing public access to their land and add it in for good measure to make sure Group members have access as well.

No where in the innocuous description does it suggest what it really does which is to erect an internally invisible bouncy castle structure over your land that provides limited entertainment value for those that enjoy bouncing in the air, whilst also creating epilepsy inducing flashing lights around the edge of their parcel for their neighbours and wary passersby that will regularly snare and break vehicles that come too close. In short the innocuous option introduces the pointless and notorious banlines.

I can see no useful purpose or function to them, and would much rather the option was simply not there, but if we have to have the option. Can it not at least be labelled more accurately to reflect what it does?

Hi Aethelwine! 

Please explain.  In the attached screenshot you can see that I am unable to select "Allow group ... with no restrictions" unless I first uncheck "Anyone can visit (Unchecking this will create banlines)".  Is there additional clarification that this requires? 

I know that the confusion you describe had been a problem in the past, which is exactly why we made those changes to the viewer UI.  In 2017.  These changes came as part of the updates which allowed Estate Owners to override parcel level public access settings (a big hit with the Sailing community :))

Screen Shot 2018-10-27 at 12.22.09 AM.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

I know that the confusion you describe had been a problem in the past, which is exactly why we made those changes to the viewer UI.  In 2017.  These changes came as part of the updates which allowed Estate Owners to override parcel level public access settings (a big hit with the Sailing community :))

Can confirm that problem was fixed a while ago.

The original bug report is BUG-4994 - If both allow public access and allow group access are ticked under About Land -> Access, only group members can access the parcel, even though allow public access is enabled and not greyed out.

• Like 1

I can not make it to the town hall on the 15th...i will be working. I asked a question the last time and never got an answer. I hear you are phasing out classic avatars in 2020. I want to know why? We are being told that we have to change to mesh by then and to me it sounds like that it is no longer my SL but Your SL and I am merely using the avatar. It would be better to keep them. It seems to me that it's "change or else" and that is a shame. I have spent thousands of linden on my avi and to have to get rid of it is just wrong!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Menion Azalee said:

I can not make it to the town hall on the 15th...i will be working. I asked a question the last time and never got an answer. I hear you are phasing out classic avatars in 2020. I want to know why? We are being told that we have to change to mesh by then and to me it sounds like that it is no longer my SL but Your SL and I am merely using the avatar. It would be better to keep them. It seems to me that it's "change or else" and that is a shame. I have spent thousands of linden on my avi and to have to get rid of it is just wrong!

whoever told you this is wrong.  "Mesh avatars" are attachments (no more or less different than mesh hair, shoes or dress attachments) worn on the system avatar. Without the system avatar then there can be no mesh avatar

so don't worry ok. Your investment your system avatar is safe and will happily continue for basically ever

• Like 4

On 10/27/2018 at 5:34 AM, Grumpity Linden said:

Hi Aethelwine! 

Please explain.  In the attached screenshot you can see that I am unable to select "Allow group ... with no restrictions" unless I first uncheck "Anyone can visit (Unchecking this will create banlines)".  Is there additional clarification that this requires? 

Thanks that is great news !

I thought things seemed to have been getting better. this will be why.

• Like 1

Oh. Way down here. LOL. "Here is where to submit your questions for the upcoming Town Hall with Grumpity, Oz, and Patch Linden! "

Entities (people) have been asking to be able to again visit Destination Islands, supplanted by Social Islands. Not to remove the later, but, perhaps somewhere else (I used Search on the World Map and did not find it anywhere.)

** CHAT SPAMMERS:  This is the second weekend I've been plagued by ass*oles who kept creating and spamming group chats-- I have no idea how or why I was included in these that were littered with really disgusting racist, sexual, sexist, bigoted, etc., awful stuff.   As soon as I would block their text, and close the chat, another one would pop up.   This was borking my viewer.    I couldn't find a way to report the avatars who initiated these group chat spams -- I'm using the SL viewer for Mac and I couldn't find a report avatar button specifically for these group chat spam attacks.  Am I missing something in the viewer or user profile window where I can report them while it's going down or is there not a report avatar for abuse button on their profile?  These chat spam griefing incidents weren't just annoying, the content was offensive and creepy and violated the LL TOS.

OTHER THINGS:

1.  INVENTORY SEARCH:   Unlike searching for content on marketplace, the search feature in inventory requires exact properly sequenced words so if I want to find all my red shoes or pink elephants, unless i put in the exact name and punctuation elements of each object like red-shoes or shoes red or Jumbos Shoes - Red, I will not get all the red shoes results whereas on MP if I put in pink elephants or red shoes, pretty much everything with those words in them will appear.  This should have been an upgrade ages ago.

2.  MARKETPLACE SEARCH:  Now, this search does work they way it should, however, a bunch of crap that shouldn't come up when doing a search on red shoes or pink elephants does appear because people are either stupid or intentionally annoying and think by putting all kinds of search/words in their product descriptions/tags that I'll see their product and want to buy it.  This actually is so annoying it has the opposite effect and I will NEVER buy from that merchant because they are intentionally wasting my time by making me have to scroll through all their crap I am not interested in.   This could be fixed by a filter that I could access and filter out that merchant so their content won't appear.  There should also be a report button for this.  I can see if something might be cross referenced but a lot of these are not.   I should not have to wade through a gazillion skanky whore outfits when I'm looking for Catamarans.

AND there also needs to be a way to filter out words like GACHA and DEMO so I'm not bombarded with those things either if I don't want to have to scroll through a crapload of search results so a "filter out words" or shops or creators feature would be brilliant.

3. MARKETPLACE REVIEWS:  These should be editable so they can be updated so, if a product has issues down the road or you discover some cool thing you didn't notice before or the creator does something really cool or ignores you when you need help, you can update your review.   

Also, I should be able to find all my reviews in one place so maybe in the list of all the things I've purchased, I would be able to select "show reviewed purchases" and that list comes up.  Also I should be able to search my purchases and my favorites and the recently added wish list. 

4. MARKETPLACE QUESTIONS:  In addition to reviews, there should be a feature on the item page to ask the creator/merchant questions about the item they are selling.  Too many people get ripped off buying things that are misleading or lack specific details in the descriptions.   The creator/merchant would answer the question there as well.  This would also alert buyers to creators/merchants who don't answer their questions and would provide answers for buyers and save creators/merchants from answering the same questions over and over again.  

5.  SIM ARCHIVING:  Being able to save entire sims with all the terraforming, terraform textures, all content, etc., on them so they can be swapped out in a few minutes.  This should have always been an option for private sim owners and even for projects like LEA art exhibitions.  I have no idea what the storage challenges would be but there could be a small fee to cover that storage.   

6.  SL VIEWER:  Since I mentioned searching inventory and marketplace, why doesn't LL integrate find object(s) on a sim search features into the viewing client like Firestorm has?  

Also add copy paste features on the build menu so if I want to move an object to the location of another object, I can copy the destination object's vector location by checking a box and then paste it into the object I want to move there.  Should also be able to do this for the sizes and for rotations too.  

If I think of anything else, I will add to the list.

Thank you for all you do to keep the lights working in SL. 

pixels sideways

Edited by Pixels Sideways
spelkelling errors :-)

On 10/25/2018 at 5:08 PM, ellestones said:

Bounce me off banlines LL please

That can be done by scripting. My bikes bounce off banlines. Try one from my free rezzer in Vallone and try to enter the paved empty lot across the street in Kama Center, which has a ban line. All that happens when a vehicle hits a ban line is that physics turns off. The scripts can sense this and back out. I've also put this feature into a boat and a helicopter. It's most useful in tight waterways where ban lines extend into the water.

If you need to know how to script this, get my bounces-off-ban-lines beach ball, which is full perm, so you can copy the code.

When the vehicle can enter but an avatar on it can't, the avatar is ejected from the vehicle. That's not good. A permission combination that allows objects but not avatars has this annoying side effect. There's a JIRA request in for a fix, accepted at low priority, I think.

(What would I like from LL? Next dogfood day, when Linden employees go in world, have everyone take a long trip, like one of the Drivers of SL rides. Use a few different vehicle types. Get a sense of what's broken.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/20/2018 at 11:13 PM, salymmoonsong said:

Hello I just have a quick question will Linden Labs ever consider making second life more accessible to the visually impaired primarily the ability to enlarge the font size to a readable level for residents like me who are legally blind?

Thank you for your time

Years ago I did a "ride along" with a couple of people from the Virtual Ability sim on an orientation for a new resident who was legally blind.  She was using some special viewer/screen reader combo that allowed her to mouse over objects and the interface between the viewer & screen reader would allow the screen reader to read aloud the object name and info.   This also worked for chat and I think notecards.   She could also listen to streaming music and streaming media if it had sound and also just regular sounds in SL.  You might consider contacting the folks at the Virtual Ability sim to find out what new tech they may know about that visually impaired folks are using in Second Life in addition to what Whirly Fizzle said about increasing the UI font size in preferences.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.