Town Hall Meeting with Grumpity, Oz, and Patch Linden - November 15

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

10 hours ago, animats said:

scripts can sense this and back out

yes. has been lots of parcel and sim edge detection auto-braking and auto-steering avoidance LSL scripts been done over the years by lots of different people

and yes I am with you on a system-enabled parcel bounce method

I dunno if you have seen how the bounce off can work. As it works already-ish on sim crossings. If rez and sit your bike on a G sim then set your Rating to General and try to cross into a M region. Both the avatar and the vehicle are bounced off and remain whole

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pixels Sideways said:

2.  MARKETPLACE SEARCH:  Now, this search does work they way it should, however, a bunch of crap that shouldn't come up when doing a search on red shoes or pink elephants does appear because people are either stupid or intentionally annoying and think by putting all kinds of search/words in their product descriptions/tags that I'll see their product and want to buy it.  This actually is so annoying it has the opposite effect and I will NEVER buy from that merchant because they are intentionally wasting my time by making me have to scroll through all their crap I am not interested in.   This could be fixed by a filter that I could access and filter out that merchant so their content won't appear.  There should also be a report button for this.  I can see if something might be cross referenced but a lot of these are not.   I should not have to wade through a gazillion skanky whore outfits when I'm looking for Catamarans.

AND there also needs to be a way to filter out words like GACHA and DEMO so I'm not bombarded with those things either if I don't want to have to scroll through a crapload of search results so a "filter out words" or shops or creators feature would be brilliant.

You can filter out words using NOT (in caps), though it is an exact match, which only partially helps.  Thus "NOT demo" would filter anything with the single word 'demo' in it, but not filter out things like '_demo' and 'D*E*M*O', which creators use to get out basic filtering.  I'm pretty sure a JIRA is already open for this, though no clue where it lives in the priority list.

As to reporting a listing for keyword spamming, you can do that now.  On the right side of the listing page, click the 'Flag this item' link:
image.png.62342814beb65611c299612ff3a2c791.png

Then select the appropriate categories:
image.png.59d77d51a90e08cbf40b9111a810fe3c.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Pixels Sideways said:

** CHAT SPAMMERS:  This is the second weekend I've been plagued by ass*oles who kept creating and spamming group chats-- I have no idea how or why I was included in these that were littered with really disgusting racist, sexual, sexist, bigoted, etc., awful stuff.   As soon as I would block their text, and close the chat, another one would pop up.   This was borking my viewer.    I couldn't find a way to report the avatars who initiated these group chat spams -- I'm using the SL viewer for Mac and I couldn't find a report avatar button specifically for these group chat spam attacks.  Am I missing something in the viewer or user profile window where I can report them while it's going down or is there not a report avatar for abuse button on their profile?  These chat spam griefing incidents weren't just annoying, the content was offensive and creepy and violated the LL TOS.

Its going to take a server change to prevent idiots from creating one or more ad-hoc sessions with hundreds of random people from across the grid.

• Like 3

Hi,

why have you taken away our basic ability to reasonably build things with the introduction of mesh?

We can still build with boxes, but if you want to sell something, it will have to be mesh because that's what everyone looks for.  Why is there no tutorial and nothing showing how to use a current version of blender to create mesh for SL?  That is something I can't learn from videos.

When will you come up with the Linux version of the client which was promised at the beginning of this year, and when will all clients finally be capable of making use of up-to-date graphics cards?

Where is the time table on the product road map?

Please do something so we can have decent spam filtering.  That would involve being able to block objects rather than their owners and allowing for a lot more entries in the block list.  Blocking needs to be possible by filters providing regular expressions for messages and for object names.  Only 1000 entries on the block list is not enough by far, and no date is shown for when the entries were made and if an object with a particular UUID is still inworld, preventing a reasonable clean up.  My list is almost full, and what am I supposed to do then? --- I've had good filtering implemented in my version of Singularity, so you can see how it can be done and don't even need to invent it.

Why are we being kept in the dark so much?

On 10/30/2018 at 3:03 AM, Ratany said:

why have you taken away our basic ability to reasonably build things with the introduction of mesh?

That ties up nicely with something I asked earlier in the thread:

On 10/21/2018 at 5:29 AM, ChinRey said:

These days many 3D engines are implementing various procedural/parametric object and surface map solutions like SpeedTree, Archimatix and (for surface mapping) PBR. Is there any chance we'll ever get something like that in SL?

The prim system is a very simple take on parametric objects, deliebrately nerfed because of the limited computer capacities back in 2003. Add a few more paths, profiles and modifiers, nodes/multilevel linking and a more efficient assets storage system and before we know it, we have an inworld build system that is every bit as advanced as Archimatix and far more efficient than most polylist meshes. Then start looking at the real potential of system vegetation and even sculpts...

It's all very simple in principle but as convoluted as the old SL code has become over time, any modification to it has to be done with extreme care.

On 10/30/2018 at 3:03 AM, Ratany said:

That is always a good question but to be fair, even though there's room for improvement, LL seems to be far more open now than it ever was before.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 3

22 hours ago, Ratany said:

They haven't...

We can still build with boxes, but if you want to sell something, it will have to be mesh because that's what everyone looks for.

That isn't LL's fault, thats just how things are, people want stuff that looks like stuff, and doesn't break the LI piggybank on their parcel. The days when you could charge a couple of grand for a 238 prim eyesore that looked like it was made of scrap plywood by a 5 year old, are GONE...

Why is there no tutorial and nothing showing how to use a current version of blender to create mesh for SL?

What makes you THINK that anyone at LL actually knows how to use Blender to make optimised mesh for SL.?

It's not what they do, that tends to get subcontracted out to... The Moles...

LL have a proven track record of not reaching those of us who actually pay attention, as well as they might.

Reaching people with their heads buried in the sand, is, I suspect way beyond their capabilities.

in my version of Singularity

Ah... A Frankenviewer user... 

Try pulling the "Viewer 1 belongs DEAD" lever down in the lab under the castle, hmm ?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hollie Leavitt said:

I'd like to know if we'd ever be able to change our First and Last names that we originally signed up with... I registered under the old First and Last Name format... but my last name has changed since then.

You will be able to change your first and last name, for a fee, but you will only be able to pick last names from a list provided. So, no, you cannot just pick whatever last name you desire.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hollie Leavitt said:

I'd like to know if we'd ever be able to change our First and Last names that we originally signed up with... I registered under the old First and Last Name format... but my last name has changed since then.

This was announced in a blog a while back:
https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/2328-happy-15th-birthday-second-life-fifteen-reasons-to-celebrate/

Everything that we've learned about it since, is captured here:
https://ryanschultz.com/2018/03/22/more-details-on-the-upcoming-ability-to-change-your-user-name-in-second-life/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 10/29/2018 at 6:41 AM, ellestones said:

yes. has been lots of parcel and sim edge detection auto-braking and auto-steering avoidance LSL scripts been done over the years by lots of different people

and yes I am with you on a system-enabled parcel bounce method

I dunno if you have seen how the bounce off can work. As it works already-ish on sim crossings. If rez and sit your bike on a G sim then set your Rating to General and try to cross into a M region. Both the avatar and the vehicle are bounced off and remain whole

I'll have to try that. Thanks.

• Like 1

*waves hiya!*

Beings you asked, making this up, daydreaming (or keep dreaming, whichever might apply):

= Inventory maintenance - I would like an alternative way to log into inventory (only), two windows of it open, and quickly drag and drop/organize it without the added strain of running nonessential tasks/my avi inworld.  Emphasis on quickly.  

And while I'm thinking on inventory...

= Inventory level-two.  Speaking for myself: I'd pay a small extra fee on top of my premium cost, to choose to add an optional additional layer of "full perm" inventory storage, which does not load up at every login but I dunno floats in the cloud.  I don't build all the time, and I don't need to see it all the time.  If I want to pull it in I can -- or I can choose not to (this minute).  Ideally when I choose to work with the secondary inventory, it would load in a way where I can see it all and work with it - perhaps pull one folder/items to the primary inventory group for now, or delete, add stuff to it -- all without lagging  things up overall. 

= Login as "unavailable".  I experience a rate of 50/50 at every login that the system will log me out before I ever get to the point where keyboard/mouse can move my avatar.  Absolutely, on my end.  But 100% of the time if I jump fast enough to change my status to "Unavailable" the notices stop instantly and mesh and inventory finishes loading. Its a challenge clicking through fast enough before the system snags then "Quits" me. 

= Landing point side-step standard:  That collision at tp thing gets really reeeeally tiresome and time consuming.  I see parcel folks have the option to add landing zone stuff that picks up arriving parties and gently scoots them left right/away from all the other arriving avis.  I have seen a few owners use them, but the vast majority does not.  I'd love it if everywhere I tpd this were the standard all the time, never again arriving to a busy event standing on/being stood on/frozen in place for several minutes by 10+ other hungry avi shoppers typing in chat exasperated that they are experiencing lag.

*thanks for asking!*

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kyrie Deka said:

= Login as "unavailable".  I experience a rate of 50/50 at every login that the system will log me out before I ever get to the point where keyboard/mouse can move my avatar.  Absolutely, on my end.  But 100% of the time if I jump fast enough to change my status to "Unavailable" the notices stop instantly and mesh and inventory finishes loading. Its a challenge clicking through fast enough before the system snags then "Quits" me. 

Your bandwidth is set too high. When you log in you are swamped and this is dropping you. Try a lower number.

9 minutes ago, Kyrie Deka said:

= Landing point side-step standard:  That collision at tp thing gets really reeeeally tiresome and time consuming.  I see parcel folks have the option to add landing zone stuff that picks up arriving parties and gently scoots them left right/away from all the other arriving avis.  I have seen a few owners use them, but the vast majority does not.  I'd love it if everywhere I tpd this were the standard all the time, never again arriving to a busy event standing on/being stood on/frozen in place for several minutes by 10+ other hungry avi shoppers typing in chat exasperated that they are experiencing lag.

I arrive and run about a bit, pushing them all away. It's fun!

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

Your bandwidth is set too high. When you log in you are swamped and this is dropping you. Try a lower number.

*Appreciate the response ty!   I have tried that many times, but with the same experience unfortunately. To bypass it, it would be such a pleasure to just be able to choose it at login. *hugs*

Edited by Kyrie Deka

I first came to sl in 2008 to attend a class taught on the San Jose State University SL Campus as part of their Master’s in Library Science Program. I loved SL right from the start and never left. Now I mentor other SJSU Students as well as work on many of my own projects, so I am in-world pretty much every day.  I am well aware of just how much has become possible in ten years and especially in the last 5.

When I first came to SL there were a number of books one could turn to for help. I purchased all of them and I have found their help invaluable over the years by providing a great deal of information in one place rather than bouncing all over the web looking for it.

My question is more of a request. Since you three are responsible for so many amazing changes would you be interested in encouraging the publication of a new book written to help people take full advantage of all the new features SL has to offer and the fixes to things we hated?

Not part of the question but as a side comment I might point out an additional benefit of a new book on SL. The majority of books on sites like Amazon are so old and outdated that it gives the mistaken impression that SL has nothing new to offer. A new book on the market and in front of book reviewers could attract the kind of attention your accomplishments deserve and hopefully bring in new people with new ideas and new energy (and with any luck new money lol)

I am sure with a little encouragement countless contributors  could and would be more than happy to participate in a project like that.

I also like  Stephan Gaudio's idea of a LL sponsored youtube video contest as a way to attract interest outside of SL

My pony did not come either, can you bring it to the meeting for me to pick up there? lol

• Like 1

When are we going to start getting script functions that are not tied to major features?

We used to get them every 3 - 5 months until Andrew Linden left at the end of 2013, probably around the time devs were pulled for Sansar.

Since then we've only gotten llGetAttachedList() in 2015, llSitOnLink() in 2016 and llName2Key() & llRequestUserKey() this year.

There's a huge backlog of script function feature requests that have been accepted. They also are needed to evolve the platform and won't have anywhere near the 1 - 1.5 year implementation times that the some of the recent major features have had.

• Like 4

As someone who is both an explorer and believes that travelling SL via conventional means rather than teleportation is superior (because hey, there's a lot out there to see and I for one would rather spend 20 minutes before going to a party at a friends house flying or driving there than teleporting if I had the time to do so) - Would it be possible to connect the continents together by way of moving the continents closer together? I understand there's a lot of private simulators in the void, but there'll still be space for them to be moved elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Rathgrith027 said:

As someone who is both an explorer and believes that travelling SL via conventional means rather than teleportation is superior (because hey, there's a lot out there to see and I for one would rather spend 20 minutes before going to a party at a friends house flying or driving there than teleporting if I had the time to do so) - Would it be possible to connect the continents together by way of moving the continents closer together? I understand there's a lot of private simulators in the void, but there'll still be space for them to be moved elsewhere.

Well that seems a great idea, joining the mainland continents together, except what you're suggesting is that, to make life more pleasurable for you, I and all the others who own private regions need to be kicked out of the way to a place we didn't choose.  Nice.

6 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I and all the others who own private regions need to be kicked out of the way to a place we didn't choose.

No, that's not necessary. There's already open space for channels between Sansara and Jeogeot, between Sansara and Satori and between Satori and the Sharp Continent. I'm no sure about Zindra but all the other continents can be joined without moving a single sim.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I and all the others who own private regions need to be kicked out of the way to a place we didn't choose.

On the other hand, if the private region is totally isolated (not connected to any other regions), does it then really matter at all where on the grid the region is located? TP to other places works always as fast where ever it is. The distance to other places plays no role what comes to how fast you can TP to other places. Every place is as close as any other place.

Or is there some mental thing going on perhaps "I want to have my totally isolated region close a particular place - on the map"?

• Sad 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.