Jump to content
Linden Lab

Town Hall Meeting with Grumpity, Oz, and Patch Linden - November 15

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Xafira Cortes said:


Also, for the amount we pay annually, I think we deserve more than a measly 512x512k allowance.

 

This was increased to 1024 sqm quite a few months ago:

 

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I suppose there'll be no pony for me now.

You can have a Prim Pony. :)No mesh for you, one year

And thanks Chinrey for continuing to advocate for best practices in mesh.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 7:11 PM, Whirly Fizzle said:

I never got my pony! ?

 

I'll ring the post office and file a formal complaint.  Losing ponies left and right, it seems. 

  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 9:56 AM, ChinRey said:

I didn't get it either.

Is it safe to store ponies in a sky stable btw? I'm not worried about the ponies themselves, it's very stable stable, but will the droppings cause problems below?

Not to worry, we'll put out some megaprims to catch the droppings.  All our ponies are guaranteed to be stable stable stable.  Like a genius. 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

I'll ring the post office and file a formal complaint.  Losing ponies left and right, it seems. 

Maybe they're just trying to hold their horses.

But you did send them by pony expresss, right? They sometimes go postal if they're sent by regular mail, even if it's first class.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2018 at 2:13 AM, salymmoonsong said:

Hello I just have a quick question will Linden Labs ever consider making second life more accessible to the visually impaired primarily the ability to enlarge the font size to a readable level for residents like me who are legally blind?

 

We have that now under Preferences > Advanced. The slider is labeled "UI Size".  Use with some caution - it's hard to test everything in the UI for all languages at all sizes, so this slider has been referred to as the "UI Bug Slider", but it does make things much bigger. For example, I'm going to have to edit my preferences by hand to undo it after this demo because I made it so big that the "Ok" button on the Preferences no longer fits on my (not very large) monitor:

 

 

Screen Shot 2018-10-22 at 09.26.56 .png

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

For example, I'm going to have to edit my preferences by hand to undo it after this demo because I made it so big that the "Ok" button on the Preferences no longer fits on my (not very large) monitor: 

CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+R will reset it to default.

See the fix for MAINT-8687 :D

  • Thanks 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2018 at 1:50 AM, KingArwin said:

Secondlife does not handle transparent on transparent very well.

It flickers, the transparent that is in the back sometimes goes through the one in the front,

If they're your objects, try setting them to "Alpha masking" instead of "Alpha blending". Re-ask this question in the Creator forum for more details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do we have to do to get LL to make a serious effort to fix region crossings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

I'll ring the post office and file a formal complaint.  Losing ponies left and right, it seems. 

Um.. I think you sent me the basic account pony by mistake  :P

1b608c98606dcebdc7549aaceaf7e657.gif

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Um.. I think you sent me the basic account pony by mistake  :P

1b608c98606dcebdc7549aaceaf7e657.gif

That pony has two..oh, they’re legs.

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a more serious note - 

We're thrilled that there is so much interest in the initiatives which we had announced in the 15 for 15 post - and have been working on ever since.  We're going to open the Town Hall with an update on those, and will hopefully be able to address (to the best of our ability) the major questions and concerns about each of them, including the questions asked in this thread.  Therefore... please also consider topics that weren't on this list, and think of what we may need to pay more attention to in the future. 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

Therefore... please also consider topics that weren't on this list, and think of what we may need to pay more attention to in the future.  

Can you please get an idea from Dakota if there can please be a Gatcha filter for the MP (can be [x] Hide Limited Quantity Items)?

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, animats said:

If they're your objects, try setting them to "Alpha masking" instead of "Alpha blending". Re-ask this question in the Creator forum for more details.

Yes, found now how it works already after the help I got here earlier from Callum and Innula, it's actually very simple. 
Was surprised how easy the fix was, very happy with it.

Problem is, of course, its often objects you can't mod yourself, but that can't be helped then.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you make building mesh inside sl possible? 
There are already ways to turn prims in to mesh available on mp.
Even lindenlab buying that system and making it available for all would be nice. (I already have it, so not asking that for myself)
But something a bit more flexible would be awesome.

Edited by KingArwin
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Callum Meriman said:

Can you please get an idea from Dakota if there can please be a Gatcha filter for the MP (can be [x] Hide Limited Quantity Items)?

I think in the past we could just type "Dog -gacha" and you got just dogs that were not gacha.
That way you could filter lots of stuff, not just gacha.
It does not seem to work like that anymore sadly, so now we are buried under lots of stuff you're not looking for.
Personally, I would like to see it back, it made browsing in the shop a lot easier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My question would be about if there are any plans to improve mainland? One attraction of mainland is the ability to move around it on vehicles. Parcels next to roads and waterways are more desirable. It seems to me that it would not take many additional sims to really open up the continents, to make them circumnavigable. Has any work been done on this? Has any thought been made to improving the road system? Are there any planned or current LDPW projects for mainland? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Aethelwine said:

My question would be about if there are any plans to improve mainland? One attraction of mainland is the ability to move around it on vehicles. Parcels next to roads and waterways are more desirable. It seems to me that it would not take many additional sims to really open up the continents, to make them circumnavigable. Has any work been done on this? Has any thought been made to improving the road system? Are there any planned or current LDPW projects for mainland? 

Yes. Zindra could use some additional sims in the southeast, where the continent is unfinished. Four roads that should meet fall into the ocean because two sims are missing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Oz Linden
Can you do something about this situation shown in the snapshot? When we enter to some event when there are about 40 avatars packed together it can take even fifteen minutes before all the mesh pieces have found their proper places. And the lag is pretty horrible while things get loaded even with quite decent computer.

Which leads to my real question: Are there any plans to upgrade the system avatar's mesh? If it was updated to present day standards (similar to mesh bodies and mesh heads) then everybody would not need to wear mesh bodies and mesh heads. Now it is almost a must to wear those because the default avatar's mesh is really very bad.

All the other mesh attachments (like clothes, hairs, jewelry) are also a big problem because all creators don't know (or don't care) how to optimize their products. Linden Lab should provide clear instructions how to make low lag mesh items.

2018-10-23_broken-mesh.thumb.jpg.39533b97e24393dc8c772a6807bf58e4.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Can you do something about this situation shown in the snapshot? When we enter to some event when there are about 40 avatars packed together it can take even fifteen minutes before all the mesh pieces have found their proper places.

I find it helps to set your jellybean slider to the lowest before you go in and then increase it after 5 minutes. The mesh is in place and the textures come in normally.

It's really weird how this works, but it does.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment, if one owns a full region, we can pay a nominal amount to increase the LI from 20K to 30K.

Have you thought of allowing this for Homesteads too? Bring them from 5K to 7.5K - it can be the same cost increase as the full (yes, i want more prims in my home)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

At the moment, if one owns a full region, we can pay a nominal amount to increase the LI from 20K to 30K.

Have you thought of allowing this for Homesteads too? Bring them from 5K to 7.5K - it can be the same cost increase as the full (yes, i want more prims in my home)

Ooooo Great idea (she says looking at whats left on her homestead)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

I find it helps to set your jellybean slider to the lowest before you go in and then increase it after 5 minutes. The mesh is in place and the textures come in normally.

It's really weird how this works, but it does.

What I do before I TP to crowded event I set my graphics to very low settings: draw distance 32 m, max complexity 20000 (i.e. the minimum), max. # of non-impostor avatars 6, LOD 1.000. Then I wait and after some time start gradually increasing setting. And no, after five minutes all mesh is not in place.

Like in my snapshot example it indeed took at least fifteen minutes before everything was loaded. And even when everything was loaded my frame rate was very poor. So I had to lower my graphics settings again. I think in case of that place the problem was also the poorly made content, sim fps was suffering, time dilation was suffering too. Anyway, in my observation the most lag causing things are the avatars. If I show only friends then in any crowded venues everything works very well and fluidly.
- - - - -
Computer info:

Firestorm 5.1.7 (55786) Jul 13 2018 20:00:04 (64bit) (Firestorm-Releasex64) with Havok support
Release Notes
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (3411.11 MHz)
Memory: 8169 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 17134)
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2

Viewer memory usage went up to 5.2 GB. My friend (who had higher graphics settings on) said that his Firestorm used 7.5 GB.
- - - - -
It's really weird, in my early days days in SL in 2007 the computers were much slower than what we have today.
In the early days I never had such lag what happens now. Poorly created mesh content is evil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×