Town Hall Meeting with Grumpity, Oz, and Patch Linden - November 15

Linden Lab

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So "my" question last time got set aside (what does SSP stand for) during the last Town Hall because Oz apparently answered it in chat. However it was a quad sim area and so anyone not SITTING by OZ didn't get the answer and it wasn't answered later either ^^.  

Hopefully that SSP will be a part of things announced, but if NOT ---   this time why not let everyone know -- ya think?

:D

• Like 5

We are getting questions here in the forums about the upcoming Last Names, yet I know that it has resulted in more behind the scenes changes than maybe originally anticipated.  Is there an estimated roll-out date and any more details on the expected costs and rules around it?

• Like 5

I have three questions.. besides when last names returning..

1. Will their be new tier structures and fees in the mainland?

2.  Are the land auctions returning? 

3.  When/where can we suggest last names for the list? i thought i read somewhere this will be possible..

Thank you! 

keep up the great work in sl

Fredrickf Resident 

Edited by FredrickF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

We are getting questions here in the forums about the upcoming Last Names, yet I know that it has resulted in more behind the scenes changes than maybe originally anticipated.  Is there an estimated roll-out date and any more details on the expected costs and rules around it?

Great Question! I am highly eager for this anticipated event.. i hope will be this year but probably will be the next.. many many of your residents want this brought back.  

I remember earlier in the year it was stated that there would be changes in the Linden Homes. Has that change taken place and if so what is it?  or If it has not taken place what will be the changes and when will it happen.  Also, will the Linden homes be updated and possibly the way you pick out a home different. It would be nice if we could pick out homes next to our friends.  Another suggestion and/or question would be could you have an underwater secion of Linden homes, for the community of people that live in and under the water? I think that's it for now. Thank you!

• Like 3

Same, and I am putting it here so hopefully the questions will be taken in. I do keep track on watching those bi-weekly viewer meetings on youtube but never gets mentioned, guess it is not for it. So, posting the questions here. Earlier before SL15B, there was a post of 15 things to come this year, but lots has not yet been seen....

1) Last Names, when is this going to be available. More friends have been wondering and asking. Would love to know when can do all this.

2) One of the 15 things to come was new Linden Homes. Any idea when this is going to be available to choose.

3) And about the plans for Baked on Mesh, would love to know when that is going to be available.

Edited by Zoey Winsmore
  • Like 1

First of all, I want to compliment the lindens on how they do their complicated jobs. You all do amazing work and I really looking forward to the improvements that are in the pipeline.

My question:
Secondlife does not handle transparent on transparent very well.
It flickers, the transparent that is in the back sometimes goes through the one in the front,

Snapshot-001.jpg

flex hair in front of linden water can disapear, stuff like that.

Is it possible Lindenlab can ever stop that from happening? Or is that technical simply not possible? 

• Like 4

Stuff seems to be taking longer and longer to load. Textures, yeah, but also basic object geometry. For me it's the worst immersion-killer.

Some of this is surely because there's just so many more bits to be pushed through the pipes now with Mesh and with creators' often abusing high-res textures, but is that really the whole problem? Is it well understood what's causing this?

I'm a little surprised how much worse it is in event regions with many avatars. Sure, those avatars have textures and geometry that add to the total volume of stuff to be downloaded (even if I'll render them all as imposters), but it "feels" as if their viewers are competing for limited download bandwidth -- except that can't be, right? because all that stuff downloads from the CDN, not the sim, right? So... yeah, again: Is it well understood what's causing this? and are there efforts planned to speed loading?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

About the upcoming NAME CHANGE feature...

It was said in one of the forum thread replies that returning to a previous name (first and last, for example, our current name, etc.) would not be possible. Once you change your name you're stuck with it until you change it again and it always must be new (as I understood).

However, in the Town Hall meeting with CEO (I watched the video), he mentioned (as a side remark) that we *will* be able to re-apply our own older names. So now I'm confused: will this be possible or not? Because if not then a much greater care and consideration must be made before changing names. If yes, then it's easier to "impulse" (provided the cost is easy enough to swallow).

Edited by Alyona Su

A small group of questions:

Environmental Enhancement Project - star maps didn't make it into this cut for the project. Are they still under consideration for a future update? If so:

• Would the work be held over to some "future EEP updates" projects? Or
  • Could then be folded into the broader rendering update work that is being done (and so possibly reach us sooner)?

Animesh follow-up - Animesh is now close to full release, and there have been a number of requests for follow-on work. For example, inclusion of avatar shapes to allow more fully defined non-player characters (NPCs).

• Has any decision been made on whether there will be an Animesh follow-up project, and what might be in it?
  • If so, is it liable to be something started in the near-term (e.g. as an actual follow-on to the current Animesh work), or is it something that will be put in the queue of projects and allowed to percolate its way to the top over time?

Marketplace clean-up - how are plans developing for cleaning-up the Marketplace (removing "inactive" listing, etc.) progressing?

• Has a decision been made on the time frame for the first run of queries (e.g. merchants inactive in-world / on the MP for 10 years? 5 years? another measure?).
  • Has the work started, or a start date looked at?
  • If not already underway, will there be a commerce blog post to explain what's going on (and hopefully avoid panic)?

Grid-wide experiences - what is the status with this? Still on course for 2018, or liable to slip into 2019? 

Linden Homes Refresh - again, any status update? Will there be an option for "water" homes (e.g. houseboats, etc.)? (Yes, I'm looking at the SSP regions :) ).

• Like 6

Youtube is a great way to promote SL. So I am wondering why there is so few videos in the official Youtube channel, none of them tutorials or promotional videos. Tutorials really help people to learn new skills and promotional videos are a great way to showcase SL. Why not have a Lynda.com-style learning section on the SL-homepage with video tutorials to all kinds of topics? This would help newbies to get started and oldbies to learn new skills. How about a monthly video contest to a specific topic? Residents create videos and LL selects the best video for a L$ prize. This video is then used in the tutorial section or posted in the official blog and Youtube channel.

Also, what is the status of the Linux Viewer?

19 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

You mean you did not get it yet? I swear, the pony is in the mail. 

I didn't get it either.

Is it safe to store ponies in a sky stable btw? I'm not worried about the ponies themselves, it's very stable stable, but will the droppings cause problems below?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.