What's your IRL job?

cykarushb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, GuyJee said:

I'm a programmer.

I never touched LSL though. It's enough with 8 hours a day being a code monkey, by the end of the day I am too burned out to even think about coding.

I am the same sometimes, but other times I enjoy LSL because it’s not my programming job - no deadline, and I can walk away and come back months later.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mazidox Linden said:

Oh gosh, I don't think you want that. Me trying to fix things tends to end up with lots of other things broken and the one thing I was trying to fix sitting in the middle of the wreckage, unscathed. I just find the broken stuff for our awesome developers.

That's how I feel too, sometimes.. except I AM the one fixing the things.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/20/2018 at 3:56 AM, cykarushb said:

I'm interested in hearing what various SL denizens do irl. What's your job, or if you don't have a job, what's your major hobby?

I drive a T R Ö C K

Well In First Life I'm a recruitment consultant by day, hiring men to build things...queen of Sydney's top latex fetish clubs by night.

In Second life I'm the manager of Hugo's Design Latex, hiring models to do events & promote the brand.

...............oh god....................I became myself?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 10/26/2018 at 2:11 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

I am the same sometimes, but other times I enjoy LSL because it’s not my programming job - no deadline, and I can walk away and come back months later.

Another software developer (programmer), reporting in! LSL was one big reason why I joined in. I am programmer, because it is my passion (getting money is nice bonus). I did try scripting business here very short time, but unfortunately schedules took away fun from it. Still doing some scripting for my own fun. Trying to learn koe Blender.

• Like 4

On 10/19/2018 at 12:56 PM, cykarushb said:

What's your job, or if you don't have a job, what's your major hobby?

I have a background/license cosmetology (I now work on the side only), half owner in HVAC company (had to sell business after husbands passing) I worked in IT, I currently work for Walmart in as a fresh associate (produce), deli clerk, bakery, receiving and cash office.  I excel in resting ***** face, so am in training for management position.

• Like 4

On 10/24/2018 at 2:11 AM, Magnus McGettigan said:

I went to Culinary school and was a Pastry Chef.. until i got burnt out.. then became a fireman and a truck driver for a major southern based donut company .. but got injured on the job.. now on disability.

I'm sad that you got injured as well...

And also curious whether you phrased that intentionally... getting burnt out as a pastry chef makes me think of something getting burnt in the oven... and after getting burnt... became a fireman... in-te-res-ting ??

• Like 1

I worked in several jobs in several branches - but  I've been early retired because of chronic depression since 2013.

My major hobby is writing (some finished stories are available on Amazon and other platforms), and sometimes I earn some side-money as a freelance interpreter (German/English)

On 10/25/2018 at 5:37 PM, Mazidox Linden said:

Oh gosh, I don't think you want that. Me trying to fix things tends to end up with lots of other things broken and the one thing I was trying to fix sitting in the middle of the wreckage, unscathed. I just find the broken stuff for our awesome developers.

The company I once worked for had a manager with a supernatural touch. George could break anything we made, whether hardware or software. We were not able to figure out how he did it, but he clearly had a way of looking at things that exposed weaknesses in what we did. Thank goodness for people like you and George.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

The company I once worked for had a manager with a supernatural touch. George could break anything we made, whether hardware or software. We were not able to figure out how he did it, but he clearly had a way of looking at things that exposed weaknesses in what we did. Thank goodness for people like you and George.

Great guy for QA dept.

On 11/1/2018 at 8:04 AM, ThorinII said:

I worked in several jobs in several branches - but  I've been early retired because of chronic depression since 2013.

My major hobby is writing (some finished stories are available on Amazon and other platforms), and sometimes I earn some side-money as a freelance interpreter (German/English)

I hope you're finding retirement uplifting. I'm still vexed by something I've discovered I couldn't escape via retirement...

...me.

I admire people who speak multiple languages well. The challenges of mastering even one seem to require all of my ability. As I learn more about how the language we use affects our perception and thought, I increasingly wonder how minds like yours work. I've very good friends from Iran, who speak Pharsi, English and French. They don't just know the languages, they know the cultures, and they know the cultures well enough to be wonderful storytellers. If I want to have a deep discussion about Mark Twain, I go to them. In turn, they bring me Voltaire... or Bob Newhart.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Well then, it's no wonder you're here.

I thought it was for adult conversation but then I realised my error :)  I should have also added struck down wth silly illness makes an actual paid job difficult

Edited by Cindy Evanier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I thought it was for adult conversation but then I realised my error :)  I should have also added struck down will silly illness makes an actual paid job difficult

I've an extended family member who's just turned one. Her parents requested time-capsule notes to be secreted away until her 18th birthday. The gist of my lengthy treatise on curiosity, play, and storytelling, on the cusp of her adulthood was... don't go there!!!

My personal sampling of SL residents indicates that our population is disproportionately filled with people who have various issues that make employment a challenge. I'm glad SL is here as an outlet, particularly since I get to enjoy the result. Thank you all.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1100 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.