What's your IRL job?

cykarushb

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

As you might guess from my last name, I work at Linden Lab. Hi!

I work on the Second Life Quality Assurance team chasing down all manner of odd, mundane, showstopper, or just minor bugs in Second Life, including the Second Life simulators, servers, and more besides. I've been a Resident for what feels like forever, and this is honestly the best job I've had in my years of QA. I love what I do (even when I have to wear shrek ears!) and my coworkers are the best in the world at what they do.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Mazidox Linden said:

I work on the Second Life Quality Assurance team chasing down all manner of odd, mundane, showstopper, or just minor bugs in Second Life, including the Second Life simulators, servers, and more besides. I've been a Resident for what feels like forever, and this is honestly the best job I've had in my years of QA. I love what I do (even when I have to wear shrek ears!) and my coworkers are the best in the world at what they do.

You rock!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Magnus McGettigan said:

I went to Culinary school and was a Pastry Chef.. until i got burnt out.. then became a fireman and a truck driver for a major southern based donut company .. but got injured on the job.. now on disability.

I’m sad you got injured, but I’m glad you’re in SL!

• Like 2

I started my career in engineering at the age of two or so, building houses for my dolls from scraps left over from my parent's home remodeling. Monkey see, monkey do. Noticing that I was less a pain in their necks when I had my hands full, they kept my hands full by home schooling me. I pursued a master's degree in electrical engineering, but got distracted by interesting work designing defibrillators and patient monitors. After a dozen years of that, I was laid off during a company take-over because I was high maintenance. After a decade of free lance consulting, I laid myself off because I was high maintenance. I've been retired for the last six years and I'm still high maintenance.

Dammit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

got distracted by interesting work designing defibrillators and patient monitors

By not-quite-coincidence, 21 years ago when between jobs, I was sent “cold” (unknowing anything about the company ) for an interview with a company that manufactures pacemakers. Nope, no thanks, too much responsibly! It sounded boring anyway, testing / QA software.

On 10/22/2018 at 6:43 PM, Mazidox Linden said:

Notes the name so he knows who to send the bugs too, 80,000 notecards later...there that will keep you busy for a day or two

On 10/23/2018 at 12:10 PM, Madelaine McMasters said:

After a dozen years of that, I was laid off during a company take-over because I was high maintenance. After a decade of free lance consulting, I laid myself off because I was high maintenance. I've been retired for the last six years and I'm still high maintenance.

This seems a little arrogant.

What makes you think that you're higher maintenance than anyone else around here?

• Haha 4

On 10/23/2018 at 7:51 AM, Kai Lyvingstone said:

I'm an audio transcriptionist. 98%  boring calls from financial advisors whose clients have more money than anybody I know will ever have but ayyy I don't have to talk to anybody and don't have to wear a uniform.

I have an old friend who is an audio transcriptionist for doctors. For a long time she had to deal with mumbling doctors who for some reason had as much trouble speaking intelligibly as they had trouble writing intelligibly. She freelances now, which has made things easier. She does good work and gets to pick her clients.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I did not say I was higher maintenance than anyone else around here. Your return puts that out of my reach.

Awww! This is very darling of you! Thanks!

(See, that wasn't so hard, was it? If people would just put a little more effort into it, I'd be much happier, all the time!)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Awww! This is very darling of you! Thanks!

(See, that wasn't so hard, was it? If people would just put a little more effort into it, I'd be much happier, all the time!)

I wouldn’t know for certain if you were high maintenance without dating you..

908DE3C4-9F93-4812-82CF-EC38864A8094.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 1:43 PM, Mazidox Linden said:

Well, stop wasting time posting here and FIX MOAR THINGZ!  Thankyew.

• Haha 1

• Lindens
18 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Well, stop wasting time posting here and FIX MOAR THINGZ!  Thankyew.

Oh gosh, I don't think you want that. Me trying to fix things tends to end up with lots of other things broken and the one thing I was trying to fix sitting in the middle of the wreckage, unscathed. I just find the broken stuff for our awesome developers.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1081 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.