Other peoples objects on my land.

Luc Starsider

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have some land where building and object entry is set to group only. Even so, a couple of times I have found objects on the property that does not belong to anybody in the group bringing our prim count down.

How can this happen?

(I have since enabled auto return, so it should no longer be a problem :))

- Luc -

17 answers to this question

Short answer: It shouldn`t happen.

Use an alt that isn`t in your group to test if the object entry is broken. Did it happen lots of times or maybe just a typical glitchy day in SL? If its a regular thing I would definately do some tests to see if I can reproduce it and report it as a bug if something is broken...Make sure you test on an LL viewer if you report a bug to LL.

I thought it shouldn't happen. I'll check to see if I can find if something is broken and possibly report a bug. Be good if I could provide a repro in that case.

It's only happened a couple of times, so it's not a big problem. The first time it was a vehicle that crashed into some ban lines I had up at the time and was left there, but the other one, today, I have no idea of how it could happen. If I'm not mistaken, the build/object entry settings work regardless of altitude, right?

- Luc -

If the objects are vehicles or other physical objects (like bullets, maybe), it's quite possible that that could have crossed into your land while they were moving and then got stalled.  The normal frame rate for a sim is on the order of 40fps, so an object moving fast enough can easily travel across a sim boundary and be well inside the sim before the servers recognize that it is there. The same thing can happen in a microcosmic way if you fire a non-phantom physical projectile at a non-phantom target.  If the projectile is moving fast enough (or the target is thin enough), it can go all the way through before the servers know that it's there.  And. of course, it's not supposed to do that. :smileywink:

• Like 4

Wow. It's amazing how many weird (and wonderful) gadgets exist in SL. I've never heard of one like the one you mention, but it sounds like it could be useful. Did it report what object it found, and at what altitude? And what's the 'new style' alternative to the radar?

- Luc -

Thank you Rolig.

That makes a lot of sense. It could very well be the case with the objects. The first one definitely, and the one today could have been a physical vehicle. I didn't go near it - it looked like it could go off any minute :) - but simply returned it. It was some sort of Apollo-type rocket, so it probably travelled at high speed before stopping on my land.

- Luc -

Things stuck in the boundary walls are quite common to see so I had disregarded the vehicle one, goood catch on the bullets Rolig, he didn`t tell us the ones he had found inside the plot were weapons of mass destruction. LOL :D

Psssst...Luc...Don`t ya love techy answers involving words like "microcosmic"...I always feel smarter after reading Rolig`s replies hehe :)

Yeah, it wasn`t that impressive, well it was at the time, because everything else was only showing stuff within 100m, so seeing stuff up to 768m and then 4096 was quite cool, but because it actually rezzed something it was limited by land permissions. Nowadays we have radars built into viewers that are way better and less limited and you don`t have to wear them...Progress hehe :)

Hehe. I was just sitting here, nodding, slightly baffled by how well written her reply was. :D It seemed perfectly right to find a word like 'microcosmic' in there.

I don't know if the object would blow SL to smithereens. It looked scary, so I stood well back. If it was a projectile, it's the biggest one I have ever seen. Too big to make me think; 'Ah, It's a bullet!' :o

- Luc -

I`d never push anyone onto a TPV, even though I love them, as some people don`t want to use them on principal, but I do think Phoenix have some great little features that make it so easy to find stuff. Area search lets you search by object name or description or owners name or even group & one of my favourites in Top Scripts is "TP to". Having said that, its good to see that LL some of the popular ones to the official viewer eventually. :)

I agree. This is another good example of the benefits that come from having more than one viewer available. Phoenix often comes up with the next generation of bright ideas a little faster than LL does, but then LL is smart enough to build many of them into their viewers. Left on their own, I'm not sure that either viewer would progress quite as fast.

@Peewee. No need to push. I have nothing against TPVs. I just haven't gotten around to installing any yet. So far, I've managed quite well with v. 2. Some day, I'll probably install a few just to see what I'm missing out on.

Phoenix does sound a lot like a hunters dream with those capabilities you mention.

@Rolig. Having a lot of viewers to choose from is a very good thing. Everybody can find one that suits their need, and there's nothing like some healthy competition among the developers to bring improvements. A classic win-win, if you ask me.

- Luc -

It is a BUG that started about 6+ months ago.  It is a bloody nuisance because I get about 10 vehicles a day entering NO-ENTRY land and if scripts are off they get STUCK.  Owners file an AR and I get suspended.

I filed a JIRA but despite all the evidence of it happening the Lindens were unable to reproduce it so they don't know why it is happening and it is not serious enough to fix.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4237 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.