Bake texture AO on floor of pool from blender for second life

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hello everyone, I'm trying to find a videotutorial to learn about blender and second life how to put a texture AO with any texture (a wood or marble or metal etc etc) on the floor like that video that the creator made his idea to change the textures on the wall, on the floor etc etc and that creator as he did to change the textures and I can not find a solution ..... because I'm about to build a pool in blender, as on blender I created a pool and I did it on bake (blender render) with textures in blender, but second life came badly on texture with ugly pixels and I do not know how to do it .... I would like to learn how that creator on video to change textures ... .... and you know how to do?

go see on video: 

I created this floor for the pool from blender to opensim, but this texture is 1024x1024 and see so very bad pixel and how should I do to see this texture much better? I have done on "blender render" and how can I fix to improve this texture?

go see this link: https://gyazo.com/a2a52985a8f3ab3e90c454b90e3f0a8e and I'm creating a blender pool on this other photos for show https://gyazo.com/b614de3f8b45ee87c5ac6b07bdb1068c 

Edited by Achille Putzo

It's a second set of polygons layered on top of the walls, floors, etc. with it's own material assigned. This second set will be UV mapped to a single UV tile, and each UV shell has it's unique space on the map (no stacked shells, and everything remains in the 0 to 1 UV space.). To this set of polygons you bake the AO map. The other polygons will be UV mapped so that they work with seamless tiling textures. These can be stacked, and stretched beyond the 0 to 1 UV space.

It's possible to create the second layer just by copying the original polygons, and leave them where they are. Indeed, this will increase the overall polycount. It will also produce overdraw, because the AO layer has to be alpha blending, and is covering the whole surfaces.

For the wood planks, a repeated seamless tiling texture (in SL) will help increasing the texel density on such a walkway.

I have made my idea about blender

1) make bake on floor for AO
2) save the file of ao
3) duplicate floor
4) take 2 floors
5) save on floor in dae
6) go to sl
7) upload floor mesh
8) upload texture floor AO
9) edit on floor dae
10) on "Texture" and texture again (go to see on photo https://gyazo.com/f251568abe1fa2658c6186a57cfba196

11) time to put any texture
https://gyazo.com/c226e2cd03409811ce6ae929d97e6312

12) now go again on texture and go on 40% transparency

but this I think so and should not very good, because it is too white and too light tile floor, so I think that on texture ao should increase darker? texture tile more darker? this floor have 2 prims >>>>> https://gyazo.com/7323fb7b3d463e0b7c7241709a0bb82a

Edited by Achille Putzo

9 hours ago, Achille Putzo said:

but this I think so and should not very good, because it is too white and too light tile floor, so I think that on texture ao should increase darker? texture tile more darker?

You want to remove the white color from the AO to avoid that. A simple trick how to do this is:

1) Take your AO map into Photoshop.
2) Hit Ctrl+i to invert colors.
3) Hit Crtl+a followed by Ctrl+c.
4) Add a new layer on top, and fill it with solid black.
5) Go to Channels palette and add a new layer
6) Select Alpha 1 layer and hit Ctrl+v
7) Save file as 32 bits TGA.

In-world you can adjust the AO strength with the transparency setting if needed.

Edited by arton Rotaru

8 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

You want to remove the white color from the AO to avoid that. A simple trick how to do this is:

1) Take your AO map into Photoshop.
2) Hit Ctrl+i to invert colors.
3) Hit Crtl+a followed by Ctrl+c.
4) Add a new layer on top, and fill it with solid black.
5) Go to Channels palette and add a new layer
6) Select Alpha 1 layer and hit Ctrl+v
7) Save file as 32 bits TGA.

In-world you can adjust the AO strength with the transparency setting if needed.

I can do little on photoshop and I can not follow the number "4) Add a new layer on top, and fill it with solid black." and I would like to find a videotutorial if it's possible and I'm really sorry :(

3 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

It's just filling a layer with black color.

AO_Alpha01.thumb.jpg.56e626f1282384fd2d9c458e8eb2a5f7.jpg

It's just adding the inverted AO map as the alpha channel of a black image.
AO_Alpha02.thumb.jpg.4914a3e9ce649a28d15906a8bae3a173.jpg

yes this is better for understand me and sorry i need from n. 2 like u did this 2 photos for show me and u can do from n. 2) 2) Hit Ctrl+i to invert colors.? 

1 hour ago, arton Rotaru said:

Ctrl+i is the keyboard shortcut to invert colors in Photoshop.AO_01.thumb.jpg.a2375972877e5f005e1463b4c13e1324.jpgAO_inverted01.thumb.jpg.f1746b572fb6590244b5fa9d89fd445e.jpg

I'm very sorry, I forgot to also write the number from 2 up to number 4, because the number 4 is already done for your photos that showed me and you can redo from number 2 up to n. 4? I hope I can solvent .... :)

P.S. apart from me I can only do when I have made a texture Ao from blender to Photoshop, I have opened a file on a texture ao and insert on normal texture (wall or wood or metal etc etc), and I put on multiply .... and this you showed me on photos and I'm new to learn another lesson you're teaching me ... :)

• Thanks 1

On 10/19/2018 at 1:14 PM, Achille Putzo said:

I have made my idea about blender

1) make bake on floor for AO
2) save the file of ao
3) duplicate floor
4) take 2 floors
5) save on floor in dae
6) go to sl
7) upload floor mesh
? upload texture floor AO
9) edit on floor dae
10) on "Texture" and texture again (go to see on photo https://gyazo.com/f251568abe1fa2658c6186a57cfba196

11) time to put any texture
https://gyazo.com/c226e2cd03409811ce6ae929d97e6312

12) now go again on texture and go on 40% transparency

but this I think so and should not very good, because it is too white and too light tile floor, so I think that on texture ao should increase darker? texture tile more darker? this floor have 2 prims >>>>> https://gyazo.com/7323fb7b3d463e0b7c7241709a0bb82a

no need to make them separate DAE.  Simply duplicate the mesh you want the additional texture on and drop it in the same spot, being duplicated makes it the 2nd in the stack layer order and it will be on top of the previous mesh that was copied, join the two together as one object (but still two split sections), then in world you can click around on the surface and sometimes you'll select the back, others the front layer (zooming in close helps) or you can use scripts to control the texture layers.  From there you can place your textures on to the object.  Its nice actually because you can change the repeating textures in the lower layer but your shadows always stay nice and on top.

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne

18 hours ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

no need to make them separate DAE.  Simply duplicate the mesh you want the additional texture on and drop it in the same spot, being duplicated makes it the 2nd in the stack layer order and it will be on top of the previous mesh that was copied, join the two together as one object (but still two split sections), then in world you can click around on the surface and sometimes you'll select the back, others the front layer (zooming in close helps) or you can use scripts to control the texture layers.  From there you can place your textures on to the object.  Its nice actually because you can change the repeating textures in the lower layer but your shadows always stay nice and on top.

@Macrocosm Draegonne  and how does it work? if you have any tutorials to teach me?

Edited by Achille Putzo

On 10/20/2018 at 9:40 PM, Achille Putzo said:

I'm very sorry, I forgot to also write the number from 2 up to number 4, because the number 4 is already done for your photos that showed me and you can redo from number 2 up to n. 4? I hope I can solvent .... :)

P.S. apart from me I can only do when I have made a texture Ao from blender to Photoshop, I have opened a file on a texture ao and insert on normal texture (wall or wood or metal etc etc), and I put on multiply .... and this you showed me on photos and I'm new to learn another lesson you're teaching me ... :)

@arton Rotaru however I have solved on photoshop and you explained to me very well, but since I have made a close focus from the object which is all good and far away it is very bad
close: https://gyazo.com/4c7c96cc8e8c1efc60671f1c16704bbe
far:  https://gyazo.com/a575a869c924cd3c6db9ce9af902b2d0

see?i dont know why and maybe missing change lod? 

2 hours ago, Achille Putzo said:

@Macrocosm Draegonne  and how does it work? if you have any tutorials to teach me?

There is a video on youtube about it, and they also posted some posts on their blog about it, I did not bookmark, but basically what I said above is what you do.  Say you have a floor, you then duplicate it, in edit mode you can just drop it right there, if you're in object mode you drop it, then join the two with the join command, this makes it so its one when you export dae.  There might even be other ways, but thats how I do it.  Putting them into the same .dae will save you on li im thinking too.

Once its in world, click around on the surface and drop your textures into them,  in blender if you baked an AO/shadow/detail layer to go on the top layer, make sure its on the top layer of your surface in question, and the repeating base texture is set on the back plane.  It can be a bit figidity selecting the layers, but there are scripting ways to deal with that, though, its really only needed if you have more than two layers, even a third layer will vex you as you try to click and get the right layers lol.

Edited by Macrocosm Draegonne

2 hours ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

There is a video on youtube about it, and they also posted some posts on their blog about it, I did not bookmark, but basically what I said above is what you do.  Say you have a floor, you then duplicate it, in edit mode you can just drop it right there, if you're in object mode you drop it, then join the two with the join command, this makes it so its one when you export dae.  There might even be other ways, but thats how I do it.  Putting them into the same .dae will save you on li im thinking too.

Once its in world, click around on the surface and drop your textures into them,  in blender if you baked an AO/shadow/detail layer to go on the top layer, make sure its on the top layer of your surface in question, and the repeating base texture is set on the back plane.  It can be a bit figidity selecting the layers, but there are scripting ways to deal with that, though, its really only needed if you have more than two layers, even a third layer will vex you as you try to click and get the right layers lol.

@Macrocosm Draegonne I'm sorry that I did not understand and that you're talking about blender or something else? let me understand please :)

Edited by Achille Putzo

On 10/23/2018 at 4:19 PM, Achille Putzo said:

@arton Rotaru however I have solved on photoshop and you explained to me very well, but since I have made a close focus from the object which is all good and far away it is very bad
close: https://gyazo.com/4c7c96cc8e8c1efc60671f1c16704bbe
far:  https://gyazo.com/a575a869c924cd3c6db9ce9af902b2d0

see?i dont know why and maybe missing change lod? 

I don't know why either. Looks like the UVs on the lower LODs are broken.

16 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

I don't know why either. Looks like the UVs on the lower LODs are broken.

uhmm .... I do not know .... maybe I'm not good to do on blender so I still have to learn well on blender like other creators who have learned with more experience .... and I would like to know with the my curiosity about another video that a creator has made double materials and I would really like for my work ..... watch this video: 

and this object has only 1 prims and instead my work I did only 2 prims with two materias (1 AO and 1 any texture) and I do not know how the creator did that work with only 1 prim with two materials? I have searched everywhere on google to find a blender tutorial and 3ds max to do double materials on 1 object prims ....

27 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

This video has been discussed at length quite a few years ago.

on another forum there is too much confusion and no one from the advice and none of the one who creates a tutorial ... anyway I thank you the same and I will look for someone who can find me a solution ....

Yes that video is the one I was hoping you'd find, it explains it. and the post he linked to also, thats all the info that anyone has to go on for that topic.   

What specifically is the issue now after you got the first bits?  The LOD is not loading correctly?  Does the lod model cover texture space properly in the UV map?  Or are you using the autogenerated LOD? 

On 10/27/2018 at 3:01 AM, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Yes that video is the one I was hoping you'd find, it explains it. and the post he linked to also, thats all the info that anyone has to go on for that topic.   

What specifically is the issue now after you got the first bits?  The LOD is not loading correctly?  Does the lod model cover texture space properly in the UV map?  Or are you using the autogenerated LOD? 

I'm about to experiment and I'll let you know soon ....

20 minutes ago, Macrocosm Draegonne said:

Good luck, nothing can replace getting in there and breaking it a ton of times, try using the Beta Aditi grid if you're not, its free to upload mesh and everything there for testing.

Yes, I'm also in Beta Aditi, maybe I'm wrong, but I have to try again to learn well about LOD in sl.......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.