Recover lost group?

Metal Gynoid

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is there a way to recover a lost group? I made one a while back that I never invited anyone to, so it expired in the short 48 hour period to keep it alive. Now that group name is no longer available because I made it, but if it's unavailable, that would imply that it can be restored. Right?

Any feedback on this is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

13 answers to this question

Nope.  It's gone forever. Group names are like account names (login names).  They are unique.  Like the Highlander, there can be only one.  Once a group is dead, its name cannot be reused for another group.

EDIT:  When you create a group, step #1 should always be to invite your own alt to join so that you have the minimum of 2 people and the group does not collapse.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 2

This makes zero sense, so there is countless dead groups because this platform is so poorly managed that it is unable to recycle these old and deleted accounts and groups, sounds like bs. No one coul;d possibly be so dumb as to create a virtual world like that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Maelthras said:

This makes zero sense, so there is countless dead groups because this platform is so poorly managed that it is unable to recycle these old and deleted accounts and groups, sounds like bs. No one coul;d possibly be so dumb as to create a virtual world like that.

is like this so that we can't be something that somebody else used to to be. Like if you were to make and sell stuff then close the account. Then some time later another person took the name Maelthras.  People would then think that they had made the stuff and not you

with group names we can put some other chars in the name.  Like:  ~Maelthras~ .Maelthras. -Maelthras- `Mawlthras`  etc

14 hours ago, Maelthras said:

"Why are you so angry" (Lucio, Overwatch)

Yeah, it's totally dumb and BS that previously used names get blocked forever. Give imposers and fake accounts a chance!

I get why group names can't be reused by someone else, but you'd think there'd be a way for the original creator of the group to reactivate a group that has been deleted/disbanded. No imposter issue there. Would solve problems for accidental deletions, change of mind or wanting to revive a once retired group.

• Like 1

On 9/19/2020 at 7:22 PM, Maelthras said:

New and ignorant...

Once you have had to deal with some hackers, scams, and griefers you'll figure it out.

• Like 1

I just went to create a group and I discovered it already existed.  So I checked and the existing group is a zombie group.  Owner apparently has left SL,  none of the members are active, some havent logged in since 2009.  I sent an email (in his profile, email returned), IM's and Notecards to the owner, and last active members about taking over the group.  If the owner is not premium then Linden Labs has no way to contact the owner if the the account email is closed.  

I understand the reasoning behind not reusing inactive or disabled names but just changing the name slightly is kind of shady too.  I have had people try to scam people using my name but changing it subtly.  One recently claiming she was "my sister" (alt) and had copied my avatar and groups.  

After 15 years, SL is filling up with names and running out of usable whole words. LOL  I have seen people use random password generators for names lately. 

I dont see a good solution.  

Comments?

13 minutes ago, MingManx said:

Comments?

read above .. ? There are all good reasons to prevent a old group being taken by someone else.

And you speak about something different than just get a group back, the group you want is never been from you.
As suggested, create a groupname like it, with minor adjustments in the name. I think it will only be shady when it's used as such.

31 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

read above .. ? There are all good reasons to prevent a old group being taken by someone else.

And you speak about something different than just get a group back, the group you want is never been from you.
As suggested, create a groupname like it, with minor adjustments in the name. I think it will only be shady when it's used as such.

YES I did read above, I was referencing the above comments and agree with them.  "I see no good solution". 

While my situation is different in trying to get back a group the problem is the same.  Zombie groups with Zombie owners poses a problem.  Just changing the named slightly in my experience is shady.

1 minute ago, MingManx said:

the problem is the same. 

it's not the same, the OP is about a own deleted/abandoned group. Sometimes it's possible for a OWNER to get it back.

A nearly simular named group isn't shady, for sure not when the original is dead.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MingManx said:

Comments?

This is a Question/Answer section of the forums, typically used for questions about using SL.

image.png.fd77fb275d851a9d8dacd7721fcd8a91.png

There is a General Discussion area for "discussions". Probably a better area for discussing the issue rather than hijacking someone's Question thread.  That section is also read by more folks than this Question/Answer area.

https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/321-general-discussion-forum/

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1078 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.