copyright/dae/blender related noob questions

Hier0nimus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi there, new to the forum.
My name's Hier0nimus ig. 

I've been a second life and blender enthousiast for years already.  But now I want to start combining these two interests. 
I usually make scenes in blender with meshes I download/buy other places. The meshes I buy I play with and modify at will. 
I would like to know how this works within the second life community , because I noticed a lot of meshes are 'forbidden' to modify or transfer. 
But it's still unclear to me what these things mean in this context. 

1) If I buy a mesh from the marketplace. do I get the .dae file on to my computer? Or just in second life? most vendors say 'This item will be delivered directly to you or a friend in Second Life'
Does that mean I ONLY get the thing ingame ? 
2) If the mesh is non transferable, what does that mean? 
3) What I really want to do is buy some meshes, load them into my blender and make new scenes with them and modify them at will.
What do I need to pay attention to to achieve this? Just so I'm not buying useless stuff on the market .... ( I don't have land in SL and am not interested in making scenes ingame)

Many thanks to this awesome community

13 minutes ago, Hier0nimus said:

If I buy a mesh from the marketplace. do I get the .dae file on to my computer?

Only with very few "Full Permission" files, with DAE clearly stated on them. Normally it's an in world object that you can only use in SL. A search like this on Mp will get some of them.

14 minutes ago, Hier0nimus said:

If the mesh is non transferable, what does that mean? 

Only you can use it. You can't give it to anyone else.

14 minutes ago, Hier0nimus said:

What I really want to do is buy some meshes, load them into my blender and make new scenes with them and modify them at will.

That's not really how SL works. Normally you create your own mesh from scratch, or buy other people's and place it in world using the SL edit tools. No mod's beyond basics like colour and size.

Exporting other people's mesh from SL without permission is against the TOS and can see your account sanctioned.

Hey Callum , 

Ofcourse I understand this is not really the intention of the game. But the graphic fidelity of the game is so bad ( okay, it has it's own style I guess). 
making scenes in game is kindof useless to me unless there would be a way to use a different render engine somehow ..
you don't happen to know any way to do this by any chance ? 

Still love the game though
and thanks a lot for your clear and quick answer

Threads don't "close."  As long as people wish to comment, they are alive forever.  Unless, of course, someone starts breaking the forum rules.  If that happens, a moderator can put a cork in the thread to prevent further posting.

The bottom line in this question is that when you buy something in Marketplace or in world, you are buying a single instance of that item.  You are not buying the intellectual property from the creator, so you do not have permission to modify and re-market the item unless you were given that right explicitly.  This is very much like copyright and trademark rules in RL.  SL's internal permissions system addresses a somewhat different question.  It concerns what you are allowed to do with the particular instance that you have bought.  If you have transfer permission, for example, you may sell or give your specific item to someone else in SL.  You may not represent it as your own creation, however, and you do not have permission to trade it outside of SL.  Similar restrictions apply to Copy and Modify permissions.  

If you have questions about Linden Lab's Intellectual Property policy, consult http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Intellectual_Property . If you ever have questions about other policies in SL, start at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Official_Information_and_Policies_Portal .

If you want files  from which you can make .dae files, there are many 3D sites where you can get them free or buy them. But they will usually have too many polygons for SL, and they won't be directly compatible. So for anything non-trivial, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

6 minutes ago, animats said:

If you want files  from which you can make .dae files, there are many 3D sites where you can get them free or buy them. But they will usually have too many polygons for SL, and they won't be directly compatible. So for anything non-trivial, you have a lot of work ahead of you.

And you miss the most important point... most also have licenses attached - many of those licenses are incompatible with the LL TOS or outright forbid use in virtual worlds like SL. Don't use external 3D sources without some research into copyright laws - you can save yourself a lot of trouble that way.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.