Mainland Exploration Screenshots and Stories Thread

lucagrabacr

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I'm pretty sure they are seasonal.

No, they are not seasonal. that's the oak from the system vegetation set.

22 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Is that on Atoll continent? That's where my place was and the old cobblestone road and the sim-crossing signs (that name the sim you're heading into) just give it all a wonderfully a classic atmosphere. You picture itself shows how pretty mainland can look!

Yes to all. The road system around Mormo was made by Garden Mole and she did a brilliant job and so did Bloomin Mole further north on the cntinent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I found extremely cheap small parcel in Gaeta 1 continent. The size is 368 m², the price mere 206L$. I bought it to make my "summer cottage" there. The width of parcel is only 12 meters. The length is about 30 meters. So there was plenty of room for big swimming pool, a terrace at the other end of the pool, and even spacious bedroom under the terrace. Perfect.

I have been exploring this small continent. It was never fully built into its intended size. Maybe Linden Lab had bad financial times and the development of the continent was not continued? I really don't know the history of this continent.

It seems that there have been more inhabitants there earlier than there is now. The land has plenty of signs of earlier terraforming for houses. There are lots of empty parcels now. Lots of people have obviously left the place. Anyway the scenery looks quite nice where there are houses. Usually the houses look pretty good and the place is not littered with lots ugly builds.

There are active Java Pods. One route goes to the northern parts, and other route goes to the southern parts.
I took a ride on both routes. Quick way to get general idea about how the place looks. ?

Built areas look nice. On my right there is big parcel for sale.2018-10-26_Gaeta1_P1.thumb.jpg.0556598f0bea0ecc9db74101ee6335e9.jpg

Towards south there is also paved foot path. Then the the development of the continent was stopped and the route was left unpaved.
You have to look in the minimap to see where route is, there is not even a hint on the ground itself of the route. But the Java Pod knew! :D
2018-10-26_Gaeta1_P2.thumb.jpg.bfa9f681a8b36fe9e341d659ff51e614.jpg

Single tree and nothing else on full region which is for sale.2018-10-26_Gaeta1_P3.thumb.jpg.7ccc4884a3c67d119c4bbe2835615149.jpg

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Maybe Linden Lab had bad financial times and the development of the continent was not continued??

It was exactly the opposite. Gatea was under construction just as LL started to make big money from private estates so they gave up on continent building halfway through it. They never even get around to offer all the finished and ready sims for sale.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 3

On 10/26/2018 at 2:15 PM, ChinRey said:

No, they are not seasonal. that's the oak from the system vegetation set.

Yes to all. The road system around Mormo was made by Garden Mole and she did a brilliant job and so did Bloomin Mole further north on the cntinent.

Thanks for the answers, I had no idea someting on Mainlad changes like that.

If someone want to explore, here is taxi - Route 1 Rez Zone: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mormo/19/143/31

Actually good point to start exploration - there are the orange trees, Halloween DeepRoot Manor , nearby is Iron Bunny and New Kadath Vineyard

Mormo_vineyard.thumb.jpg.5b45193e04b74aaba6e3d7c12bcb74c6.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is too often what my experience of the mainland has been like.

I am an admin for a parcel in the southern part of Heterocera. (It's currently up for sale, actually.) It's generally been a good location: I think we've been there since about 2007, or maybe earlier; in any case, since before my time.

We're a bit off the beaten track, but one does occasionally get visitors, which is fine. However, one also gets . . . well, provocateurs?

I was there last night, doing some messing about with costumes for the Forum Cartel party, and for a pic I wanted to take, when I received a visit from these two. Both were generally fine (although I had my cursor hovering over the ban list), but one of them, possessed as he was of an enormous and very prominently excited male member, decided to interrogate me on the degree to which I, as a feminist, felt "oppressed" by their male genitalia. I was harangued at for about 15 mins, and then they (at my invitation) moved along, seeking more excitable prey I suppose. Mostly, they were just boring, fortunately.

Is it my imagination -- perhaps it is? -- or does this sort of thing happen more often on the mainland?

Flagg-Griefers.jpg

17 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

I found extremely cheap small parcel in Gaeta 1 continent. The size is 368 m², the price mere 206L$. I bought it to make my "summer cottage" there. The width of parcel is only 12 meters. The length is about 30 meters. So there was plenty of room for big swimming pool, a terrace at the other end of the pool, and even spacious bedroom under the terrace. Perfect.

I have been exploring this small continent. It was never fully built into its intended size. Maybe Linden Lab had bad financial times and the development of the continent was not continued? I really don't know the history of this continent.

15 hours ago, ChinRey said:

It was exactly the opposite. Gatea was under construction just as LL started to make big money from private estates so they gave up on continent building halfway through it. They never even get around to offer all the finished and ready sims for sale.

I think you're both half right. Gaeta I was started in April 2008. This was shortly after the announcement of easier-to-buy "Open Space" regions (which are the equivalent of modern homestead regions.) People bought a ridiculous amount of them, but they used them for more than the Lab intended so they probably started losing money on them quite quickly - they had to increase the price on them eventually and it was a huge fiasco.

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/354/1d/289652/1.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

I think you're both half right. Gaeta I was started in April 2008. This was shortly after the announcement of easier-to-buy "Open Space" regions (which are the equivalent of modern homestead regions.) People bought a ridiculous amount of them, but they used them for more than the Lab intended so they probably started losing money on them quite quickly - they had to increase the price on them eventually and it was a huge fiasco.

http://forums-archive.secondlife.com/354/1d/289652/1.html

So Gaeta was under costruction when LL launched their first "Open Space" flop? I hadn't noticed that and yes, there is very likely to be a connection there. It's also possible they were so busy printing new Open Space regions they didn't have time to spare for their own project.

Reading Jack Linden's psot, it seems to me what they caleld Open Space back then was what we call Homestead today, not the current Open Space. Is that correct?

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

So Gaeta was under costruction when LL launched their first "Open Space" flop? I hadn't noticed that and yes, there is very likely to be a connection there. It's also possible they were so busy printing new Open Space regions they didn't have time to spare for their own project.

Reading Jack Linden's psot, it seems to me what they caleld Open Space back then was what we call Homestead today, not the current Open Space. Is that correct?

Yes, and the problem was that they weren't a flop - they were too popular. A huge [for Second Life] number of people bought them and started putting complicated builds on them and it blew Linden Lab's calculations about what infrastructure they'd need for them.

57 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Yes, and the problem was that they weren't a flop - they were too popular. A huge [for Second Life] number of people bought them and started putting complicated builds on them and it blew Linden Lab's calculations about what infrastructure they'd need for them.

Yes, flop was the wrong word. Sometimes my English fails me ;)

But a mistake it was. They didn't realise in advance that they needed a better resource management system to control it. The users will always end up using all the resources they have access to so if you give them access to more than they're supposed to, they will use more than they're supposed to. That is one of the immutable facts of Secnd Life.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2018 at 9:15 AM, ChinRey said:

As far as I know, FairChang is the only such estate elsewhere. It used to be an independent continent but was relocated and attached to Satori recently.

FairChang relocated from its isolated private estate area to a spot adjacent to the Blake around a year ago, and was sold to a new owner at that time.  Did they move again?

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

FairChang relocated from its isolated private estate area to a spot adjacent to the Blake around a year ago, and was sold to a new owner at that time.  Did they move again?

It depends on how adjacent to Blake it was at first. It's connected to the northwest corner of Satori now, quite far from Blake Sea but still with open access to it.

I didn't know the estate got a new owner too and I have mixed feelings about that. It's sad to hear Pituca FairChang has left SL but I think she gave up on the estate years ago so it might be all for the best. I had a quick look and it seems the new owners are doing a great job updating the estate without loosing the essence of the FaiChang's old work.

• Thanks 1

Today I did long exploration trip in Gaeta 5 continent. Mostly on foot as there were plenty of things to see. The general impression was that Gaeta 5 looks quite nice, even beautiful in many places.

Many roads to walk about or to ride a vehicle. There are Java Pods too going their routes.
2018-10-27_Gaeta5_1.thumb.jpg.3b33201231e6764e2bf9370383e6b48e.jpg

Rental houses, about half of them vacant in this place.
2018-10-27_Gaeta5_2.thumb.jpg.43e98172726ac0808e1c32cb9fbd970d.jpg

Beach side road.
2018-10-27_Gaeta5_3.thumb.jpg.9e173e676294877e231683d017026203.jpg

And a store. Possibility even to earn free Lindens. It takes only a lots time. 6 L$  per hour. Great deal. xD
(Uff... I forgot to save the landmark. That would have been handy to give to any random money beggar.) 
The stores what I saw mostly had old flexi clothes and system clothes. Hairs were also flexi.
2018-10-27_4.thumb.jpg.2ed14c9b5fa81aa98f553f68db60ae39.jpg

Gaeta 5 continent is surely worth visiting. Especially the coastal areas. It's not littered with old ugly things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I live on Gaeta 5 and live not far away from your first picture.  I think one of my parcels may have been across the road from your last picture, but if so, that place no longer exists.  I recently made that same walk and found so really wonderful areas.  I'm working on opening a little public roadside area myself.  A rundown coffee shop/bakery with a separate game room, shooting gallery, and mini golf.  But trying to make it look shabby chic, hopefully not ugly.

• Like 4

On 10/25/2018 at 12:41 AM, loverdag said:

Those orange autumn trees .... is it permanent (old) decor or something new seasonal?

Mormo.thumb.jpg.9b91d494a4aec9c37ef07e0804a4a474.jpg

they are all Linden trees and plants in this pic.  Really old school. The orange are Oak Tree. Can find the old school Linden foliage in Inventory \ Library \ Objects \ Landscaping \ Trees, plants and grasses

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ellestones said:

they are all Linden trees and plants in this pic.  Really old school. The orange are Oak Tree. Can find the old school Linden foliage in Inventory \ Library \ Objects \ Landscaping \ Trees, plants and grasses

You can rez them from the builder palette too.

You can even make your own system trees if you like. They're client side though, so unless you manage to persuade everybody to update their viewers, only you can see your custom ones. Here's one I made - a quick-and-dirty conversion of the autumn "oak" (it's really maple of course) to green summer:

1122473098_Skjermbilde(1921).thumb.png.6e21e3c867c5c4d2f330e1a3ecdf1a15.png

I think it's a shame LL never updated the system vegetation. It has a lot of potential and when it was launched in 2008, it was a fairly good Speed Tree clone. But while Speed Tree has been constantly upgraded since then, there have never been any signification changes to SL system vegetation .

Some of the system plants can still be quite useful today, others not really. Their main problems are the uneven texture quality and the limited and seemingly random selection. I get the impression they were in a bit of a rush and just grabbed whatever seed textures they could Google up in a hurry.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 4

Some screenshots from a few days ago, I flew my small chopper from my home with a friend, then we met some people at the Noyo rez zone just chilling in a truck and then we talked for a bit, after that I flew them, my friend and another friend who teleported in after we met them back home with my bigger chopper where we hanged for a bit.

Snapshot_12339.thumb.png.3c7dd3d6fe899fd5922758c521fb84da.png

Then after that they invited me to fly on their airline's airplane from an airport on Gaeta's shore down to an island's airport just east of Nautilus' ocean :) (it's some sims inside a user-owned set of sims just like the Blake Sea's sims). This is us after we landed.

Snapshot_12415.thumb.png.6dcd30d768a35aabac268b13140afaf6.png

It's always cool to meet people who like to explore just as much as I do :D 

Edited by lucagrabacr
Typo and details
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, lucagrabacr said:

Some screenshots from a few days ago, I flew my small chopper from my home with a friend, then we met some people at the Noyo rez zone...

Aww, I was about to mention that area myself. Sansara south of the Bay of Space Pigs has some of the most spectacular landscaping ever seen in SL and the road is one of Michael Linden's best works. It's not very useful land though. The landscape and the road are so strong in themselves it's very hard to come up with anything that fits. Besides, most people want a house on their land and there's hardly any land flat enough to build on.

Speaking of the Bay of Space Pigs:

Omidyar with the LL logo carved into the seabed is the best known sim in the Bay of course but probably best seen on the map:

586009609_Skjermbilde(1922).png.564ac42c3d2ca7e43bc755ca44083810.png

I've been told it's Omidyar, not Da Boom, that was the first sim in SL but Linden Lab kept it as a secret test sim for a long time before they made it public.

Two other fairly well known sims in the Bay are Kremer with the Michael Linden's abandoned airfield and Mohrr with Harry Linden's crashed pig spaceship that gave the bay it's name.

Kremer first, created by Michael Linden:

1493870818_Skjermbilde(1923).thumb.jpg.4ac92088d288c6c0c130a63e2c9b6b67.jpg

SIlent Mole once told me how much Michael loved Eric Linden's Atoll Huts and he used them so well here:

983008079_Skjermbilde(1924).thumb.jpg.fa48f6cd2916efb6a5001afd3d50ff4f.jpg

Like Mormo, Kremer is a great example how effective system vegetation can be when used well. Those patches of grass sticking up from the runway are so lovely. (Oh, btw, the runway... Michael swore he'd never use megaprims...)

These system palms didn't really have to all slope the same way though:

1401578644_Skjermbilde(1925).thumb.jpg.c3899125b5c9123294b20fcaa9a8f956.jpg

There's a boat rezzer on the pier for those who want to explore the Bay the slow way.

---

Harry's Island at Mohrr:

1200229006_Skjermbilde(1926).thumb.jpg.2cc46d0577483d84a67a7e7e2c1c9f43.jpg

403961213_Skjermbilde(1927).thumb.jpg.bd769012d1cf65bb8d8e6cc5a9e1ace3.jpg

There are a few cool old freebies to fetch at the island but don't try to steal Harry's bear, it's booby trapped:

2071436248_Skjermbilde(1928).thumb.jpg.4eef5a2a6bb24d2a9ea090628314484a.jpg

---

Further north, not strictly speaking in the Bay of Pigs, is one of Crazy Mole's gems:

2001207292_Skjermbilde(1929).thumb.jpg.d7954efbb67c5a9a311897930e824f1e.jpg

There are two of them, this one at Dunlevie and another one at Balanski. I want to live there! Why didn't they make Linden homes like this???

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/23/2018 at 2:15 PM, ChinRey said:

It's not common. Linden Lab has a special program for such attached estates (I can't remember the name of it) with some special conditions: There is a maximum and a minimum number of sims you can have and you also have to include passages with public access across them.

As Coby said, most of them are around Blake Sea. That used to be a very popular area and LL had no problem selling off those (they even sold more such estates there than they had room for, which caused a bit of resentment).

As far as I know, FairChang is the only such estate elsewhere. It used to be an independent continent but was relocated and attached to Satori recently.

Irish Gent's Seychelles area north of the blake sea and now connecting to Corsica too, is a separate area to the United Sailing Sims connected to the Blake sea, I think now (the Seychelles) is owned mostly if not entirely by one or more of the Chungs.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 8:15 PM, ChinRey said:

It's not common. Linden Lab has a special program for such attached estates (I can't remember the name of it) with some special conditions: There is a maximum and a minimum number of sims you can have and you also have to include passages with public access across them.

The name is CLPP :) (kinda hard to remember, I remembered it as CCPL then didn't find it and had to look it up again) http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Land_Partnership_Program

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1686 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.