̶W̶H̶O̶ ̶W̶I̶L̶L̶ ̶A̶W̶A̶R̶D̶ ̶M̶E̶ ̶M̶Y̶ ̶2̶̶̶0̶̶̶0̶̶̶t̶̶̶h̶̶̶ ̶3̶0̶0̶T̶H̶ ̶R̶E̶P̶U̶T̶A̶T̶I̶O̶N̶ ̶P̶O̶I̶N̶T̶?̶?̶ I WANT TO THANK ALL THE LITTLE PEOPLE . . .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

The bolded parts. So much the bolded parts.

You changed "changed" to "challenged", Selene. Nobody enjoys being proven right more than I do, so withstanding a challenge is enjoyable. But there are "a-ha" moments when I discover I'm on the wrong side. By changing my mind, I can get on the right side. Until someone changes my mind again.

Someone here has a forum signature that goes approximately "Keep your mind open to change, but not so open that your brain falls out." The more I know, the more I don't know. In areas where I have great interest but little knowledge, I can change my mind so often it does feel like my brain is falling out (more accurately, I feel like I should be able to take a firm stance on a thing, and I'm frustrated I can't). I just wait till the feeling passes.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

But there are "a-ha" moments when I discover I'm on the wrong side. By changing my mind, I can get on the right side. Until someone changes my mind again.

Heard a song yesterday that included lyrics about building a wall vs. building a bridge when you take another’s point of view.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

Phil hasn't changed a bit, Scylla. That's quite comforting in a way ;)

P. S. Prepare for several pages of this...

Wow. Skell sure called this one, didn't he?

ETA: This is JUST LIKE the good old days, when I'd start a thread, leave it for a few hours, and come back to find 30 pages longer, and about something completely different!!!! 

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and nostalgic, it does! ?

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I don't do mornings either. Which is why my interview isn't until this afternoon. Being in the PNW does have the advantage of afternoons being later than most everyone else's. :PxD

And you don't have to stay up until 1:30 in the morning to catch baseball games on the west coast!

This all seems very unfair, somehow.

(Not that I have any baseball games I need to watch right now. Grrrr.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You changed "changed" to "challenged", Selene. Nobody enjoys being proven right more than I do, so withstanding a challenge is enjoyable. But there are "a-ha" moments when I discover I'm on the wrong side. By changing my mind, I can get on the right side. Until someone changes my mind again.

Someone here has a forum signature that goes approximately "Keep your mind open to change, but not so open that your brain falls out." The more I know, the more I don't know. In areas where I have great interest but little knowledge, I can change my mind so often it does feel like my brain is falling out (more accurately, I feel like I should be able to take a firm stance on a thing, and I'm frustrated I can't). I just wait till the feeling passes.

I agree! 

Just so you know, at some point in our lives, we do get to take a firm stand on one or two things. ;)

But, let's not get into all that because before you know it, we'll be getting our butts in a sling with the mods. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And you don't have to stay up until 1:30 in the morning to catch baseball games on the west coast!

This all seems very unfair, somehow.

(Not that I have any baseball games I need to watch right now. Grrrr.)

I'm sorry. I don't watch sports. I gave it up back in the 70s. :ph34r:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I'm sorry. I don't watch sports. I gave it up back in the 70s. :ph34r:

I do baseball. And I HATE hockey.

They have, on many occasions, threatened to revoke my Canadian citizenship.

(I also don't like poutine. Sshhhhh!!!!!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I do baseball. And I HATE hockey.

They have, on many occasions, threatened to revoke my Canadian citizenship.

(I also don't like poutine. Sshhhhh!!!!!)

Aw. One of my best friends from an old YaHell chat room (NAC) just loved her toofless bastages. I used to tease her about that. :$

Those were good times. I miss her. :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ivanova Shostakovich said:

Oooh, I like that! Say it again, this time with a British accent.

Well, I do a terrible English accent.

But I come by phrases like this honestly: me old mam is English (and of course my grandparents, now sadly gone, were too). I have an arsenal of working-class English expressions (most of them quite rude), and an odd fondness for fried liver and mince pies.

(My grandmother taught me to drink Orange Pekoe tea so strong that you can stand a spoon up in it, and so sweet just sniffing it was instant diabetes. She was HORRIFIED when, having reached an age where I felt competent to make my own choices, I decided I preferred green tea.)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ugh. Yes.

And a puck so small you have to press your nose against the screen to follow it.

Such. A. Stupid. Sport.

That's how I feel about most sports these days. Especially formula racing. It's all tech now which has taken all the fun (read thrills and chills) out of it. Although there have been one or two pretty spectacular crashes I happen to catch a few months ago. I do give them full credit for making the cars "safer" than they once were. I would have been devastated had my father ever died in one.

ETA: Oh I almost forgot to ask. Is Firestorm still the most preferred viewer these days? I really don't want to use the LL viewer. 

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I would have been devastated had my father ever died in one.

Yikes. No kidding. You have more courage than I!

10 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Is Firestorm still the most preferred viewer these days? I really don't want to use the LL viewer.

i used to use Firestorm, and I've even downloaded the latest version, but I'm still using the LL viewer (which, yes, is as clunky as ever). I've been resisting Firestorm, which I gather is still really popular, because I'm not sure how it will impact on performance. I suppose I should just try it and find out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yikes. No kidding. You have more courage than I!

i used to use Firestorm, and I've even downloaded the latest version, but I'm still using the LL viewer (which, yes, is as clunky as ever). I've been resisting Firestorm, which I gather is still really popular, because I'm not sure how it will impact on performance. I suppose I should just try it and find out.

I used to be on the support team. :$

It never negatively impacted performance for me. I image there are even more tweaks and tips for improving performance now than there was back then. I mostly just wanted to be sure it was still a thing before I went looking for the website in my bookmarks. It's gotta be buried in there somewhere. :o

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

I used to be on the support team. :$

Ok, then! You know what you're talking about then!

7 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It never negatively impacted performance for me. I image there are even more tweaks and tips for improving performance now than there was back then. I mostly just wanted to be sure it was still a thing before I went looking for the website in my bookmarks. It's gotta be buried in there somewhere. :o

As a certified Luddite, I tend to naturally assume that "better" = "uses more computer resources." But I know that of course isn't necessarily true at all.

I'll give Firestorm a shot. Part of the "learning curve" over the last week has, actually, been regaining familiarity with the LL viewer, which is, as I say, clunky as hell. I always found FS waaaaay more intuitive (mind you, I still miss Phoenix!), and it has useful built-ins like being able to derender everyone except friends. So, yeah . . .

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

@Selene Gregoire

Great to see you back!

Hey Whirlz! <insert missing big hug emote here> Good to see you! Thanks! :D

I plan on getting back in world as soon as I'm done winding down from that job interview. Pretty sure I got the job since they are hurting for cashiers. Just waiting on a phone call now. :S

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Ok, then! You know what you're talking about then!

As a certified Luddite, I tend to naturally assume that "better" = "uses more computer resources." But I know that of course isn't necessarily true at all.

I'll give Firestorm a shot. Part of the "learning curve" over the last week has, actually, been regaining familiarity with the LL viewer, which is, as I say, clunky as hell. I always found FS waaaaay more intuitive (mind you, I still miss Phoenix!), and it has useful built-ins like being able to derender everyone except friends. So, yeah . . .

The LL viewer was always clunky. ^_^ Don't even get me started on V2. LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, I do a terrible English accent.

But I come by phrases like this honestly: me old mam is English (and of course my grandparents, now sadly gone, were too). I have an arsenal of working-class English expressions (most of them quite rude), and an odd fondness for fried liver and mince pies.

(My grandmother taught me to drink Orange Pekoe tea so strong that you can stand a spoon up in it, and so sweet just sniffing it was instant diabetes. She was HORRIFIED when, having reached an age where I felt competent to make my own choices, I decided I preferred green tea.)

Know any Cockney Rhyming Slang?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Know any Cockney Rhyming Slang?

Well, only as much as anyone else. My mother's family was originally from Hounslow, in west London. (My grandfather was, I think, from Kent.) So, not Cockney: only those born within the sound of the bells of Mary-le-Bow are considered "true" Cockneys. 

That said, my mum occasionally gives fly to an expression or two. But always ironically.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2005 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.