How do I increase my prim allotment on my parcel?

zionish

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I pay for a Premium membership. So I have to buy more land, so I can have a place for my stuff.  I have a kitchen table but only one chair  and my allotment is overfilled?  Is this the American Dream.  Isn't there a way to increase Prim allotment without increasing land ownership.  Seems like it would be the first thing to insure in a fantasy  world, where we escape in order to feel like we have more room than the real world.  

Sadly some items do not save on land impact, especially some old prim builds, what LI (Land impact= prim equivalient) do the table and chair have? Rightclick and edit to find out in object info.

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, zionish said:

I pay for a Premium membership. So I have to buy more land, so I can have a place for my stuff.  I have a kitchen table but only one chair  and my allotment is overfilled?  Is this the American Dream.  Isn't there a way to increase Prim allotment without increasing land ownership.  Seems like it would be the first thing to insure in a fantasy  world, where we escape in order to feel like we have more room than the real world.  

the only way to increase the LI is buy more land, or larger land. The LI is connected to the amount of square meters.

This is not the american dream, and it's not a limitless phantasy... everything comes at a cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zionish said:

I pay for a Premium membership. So I have to buy more land, so I can have a place for my stuff.  I have a kitchen table but only one chair  and my allotment is overfilled?

Land impact (or prim count as it used to be called) is very much about how good the builder who made the item is.

I suppose you're talking about a mainland parcel, not a Premium home, so you have your own house too and that you have 340 LI available in total.

A good big house for a 1024 m2 parcel should be somewhere between 30 and 100 LI. A poorly made one may well be 300 or more. A smaller cottage with more room for landscape around, should be anything from 1 to ... say 20 or 25 LI.

You want to be a little bit careful though since there is a way to cheat on the land impact. I'm sure you've noticed some items in Second Life just disintegrate when seen at a little bit of distance. It's a trick used by unskilled mesh makers to reduce the land impact of their builds. It works but it comes at a high cost in quality. You definitely don't want a house built that way since it means neighbors and passerbys can see right into your house. Meshes made by competent builders never have such a problem.

Simple furniture like tables, chairs, bookshelves etc, should normally be only 1 LI for each piece (again, watch out for the disintegrating meshes although it's usually not quite as critical indoors). A poorly made or outdated single chair may well be 20 or more. More complex pieces of furniture, like beds, can a few LI higher but probably not more than 10.

The sum of it all is: with top quality items, you will run out of space long before you run out of land impact and you can have a beautiful home that looks good at any reasonable view distance.

With poor quality content, you will either run out of land impact very fast (like you did) or you will end up with items that look like a complete mess at a little bit of distance.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 5

On 10/12/2018 at 3:25 PM, zionish said:

the American Dream is to live your life as you see fit, set your own goals and work to bring them to fruition. 

if you have quite a few 1li items and they are copyable, try linking a few at a time together.  I often go around my place seeing what I can link to bring down my LI.  Plus if you have a huge house, shrinking it just a bit might help.  I cut about 14 li off my house and it's still  a nice livable size.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, zionish said:

I still think if they give me a house, I should be able to fill it like a packrat!

Oh, you can if you're careful about land impact. Seriously, you have no idea how hard it used to be to furnish a home. But in these days of mesh and increased prim allotments .. you are living in the best of times for furnishing a home. Be happy!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.