Premium account mainland confusion

AlexandriteGem

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

You have 1024m² free area you do not have to pay land tier for. A premium house - if you choose to have one - takes up 512 m². You can hold up to 1024m² of land without having to pay extra monthly land fees above your premium fees. You would however have to buy that land first. I'm sure @Lindal Kiddwill soon drop by and expain it better than me ;)

Edited by Fionalein

If you wait long enough, Premium Linden homes with 1024m may be released. Otherwise, you can get a 512m now “free”, and abandon it for a 1024 when they become available. You don’t have to buy anything; you’re not required to “use” the extra 512 if you don’t want to. 

Or, you could “buy” a 512 plus free Linden home (or 1024 parcel and no Linden home) mainland parcel. Your choice.

40 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

So, I still have to put up more money and buy land? I just do not pay for the extra acreage?
The Premium house in already included with Premium membership at no extra cost.

Does this apply to any region I choose? Are they already pre-selected?

Thank you

If you want to own a mainland parcel instead of (or in addition to) a Linden Home, you do need to pay a one time purchase price for the mainland parcel.  The purchase cost will depend on the parcel (size, location, etc.) and the price that the seller believes that they can get for it - basically there is not a 'set' or 'standard' purchase cost for a specific size of parcel - and land sale prices vary greatly.   The parcels that you could buy are not pre-selected - you potentially could purchase any mainland parcel that is up for sale or you could put in a support ticket to try and buy abandoned land.  You can find parcels to buy either by looking in the forums in the "Parcels for Sale: Mainland" section or by looking on the map inworld and checking the option box for showing land for sale (which then displays those parcels in yellow and shows the sale information when you mouse over them).  

In addition to the one-time purchase cost, there is a monthly tier cost (see "Land Fees" under "Land Manager" on your web dashboard).  There is no monthly tier cost for the first 1024 sqm that you own, so if you keep your land holdings at 1024 sqm or less, you would not have to pay a monthly tier charge.  If you were to buy a parcel larger than 1024 sqm (or purchased 1024 sqm while still keeping your current Linden Home) you would be charged a monthly tier charge based on the amount of land owned over the initial 1024 sqm.  

When you buy mainland typically it does not come with a house or any landscaping on it, so that it something to consider if you currently have a Linden home.  When you have a Linden home, the LI (land impact) of the house is not deducted from the 175 LI available for you to use on a 512 sqm parcel.  If you buy a mainland parcel, the LI of the house you buy to put on the parcel will use some amount of the LI available on the parcel.  (LI available varies also on parcel size - the larger the parcel in sqm, the more LI available).  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AlexandriteGem said:

Thank you so much. 
So, do I get prims in addition to the ones I get as a premium member when I buy land like that, or do I have to pay for more?

Premium membership doesn't give you prims (LI) - what it gives you is an amount of land that you can own without a monthly charge.  The amount of prims that you get depends on the amount of land that you have - it's a calculation of x prims per square meter.  A 512 sqm parcel will have 175 prims allotted, a 1024 sqm parcel will have 350 prims allotted, a 2048 sqm parcel will have 700 prims allotted, and so on...

So if you want more prims than the initial 1024 sqm provides, you can buy a larger parcel which has a larger prim allotment, but you would then need to pay monthly tier for the amount of sqm above 1024. 

• Like 3

Moirakathleen covered it!  But you know me, I have to do it too...

Your Premium membership benefits allow you to own up to 1024 m2 of Mainland without having to pay a monthly tier fee.  You have some options on how to use that land allowance.

• You can get a free Linden Home.  These are on 512 m2 parcels and have a prim allowance of 175.  This leaves you with a remaining land allowance of 512 m2
  • You can use that remaining allowance.  Find a 512 m2 parcel for sale on the Mainland and buy it.  That parcel too will have a prim allowance of 175.
  • Or, you can skip the Linden Home, and buy a 1024 m2 parcel on the Mainland.  As Moira says, the purchase prices will vary...anything from $L 1 per square meter up to $L 99 per sq. m. or more, depending on the location and what the seller thinks they can charge.
  • Although it hasn't happened yet, we are expecting LL to announce new Linden Homes on 1,024 m2 parcels.

How many prims you can have depends on the size of the land parcel, nothing more (but, read on.)  On a 512 parcel, you can have 175 prims.  On a 1024 parcel, you can have 351 prims.  This continues right up to a full region, 65,536 sq m., with a prim allowance of 22,500.  If you own multiple parcels within a region, your prim allowance is the total of all the prim allowances of those parcels, and you can allocate your prims in any way you want.  You can put them all on one parcel, and leave the others empty, for example.  However, you cannot combine the prims on parcels that are in different regions.

You can't "pay for more prims"...unless you are RENTING from another resident.  Some landlords will allow you to do that.  But that is a different situation from owning mainland yourself.

To make things even more confusing, some parcels have a double prim allowance.  Examples can be found in Bay City, Nautilus City, and the Horizons regions.  Because of this feature, the purchase prices on these parcels tend to be very high.

I teach a class on SL land on Saturdays, at 12 noon SL Time at Caledon Oxbridge University.  It's free, and you are welcome to attend!

• Like 3

If you are even remotely considering buying land, I would recommend Lindal's class at Caledon.  I've taken it and found it very informative, and she takes the class 'out on site' to various parcels so that you can see first hand some of the things to check for to avoid pitfalls when buying land. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, AlexandriteGem said:

So, to recap and make sure I understood. A vacant land 1024 m2 for sale is available...  Price is 1L and fees are say 500L a week after that....   Do I only pay the 1L? And that is it, I have nothing else to pay afterwards, as a premium member?

That is going to be a Private Estate and thus your Premium tier will not apply.   Your Premium tier only applies to Mainland parcels.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AlexandriteGem said:

So, to recap and make sure I understood. A vacant land 1024 m2 for sale is available...  Price is 1L and fees are say 500L a week after that....   Do I only pay the 1L? And that is it, I have nothing else to pay afterwards, as a premium member?

One thing I don't think was mentioned -- you can't choose your Linden home. That is, you can choose its style, but not its location. That style will be randomly assigned to you on some Linden Homes sim. You get five tries, i.e. you can abandon a home and try again if you get a location you don't like. Not sure when that resets.

I think choosing a location on the Mainland and buying the land is a much better option with a premium account -- it's a buyer's market, take your time, and look around, you might find 512 or 1024 for less than $1/meter, I see it all the time.

Also some rental companies, such as mine, will accept tier in their groups in lieu of cash, i.e. $250/wk credit for 512 m, so that you get either a no-cash rent or a discount. Then you might consider grouping your land too to get the extra tier bonus.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2018 at 12:13 AM, Prokofy Neva said:

One thing I don't think was mentioned -- you can't choose your Linden home. That is, you can choose its style, but not its location. That style will be randomly assigned to you on some Linden Homes sim. You get five tries, i.e. you can abandon a home and try again if you get a location you don't like. Not sure when that resets.

It resets daily. So you get 5 tries per day to get a location you like. It's not all that difficult to get a good spot.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2020 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.