Susie48

susie48

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi everyone,

Have opened a ticket on a problem which is not getting resolved quickly and I am hoping someone out there can help me. On 26th September I installed a new BT smarthub. Since then I being logged out of SL after 2minutes of being logged in. However, it only happens if I am on the wifi, the ethernet is fine but its not feasible to use it all the time. Today I discovered that the log file in the c:\user\susie\appsdata\roaming\....still bears the date of the 26th September. I feel this is significant. The ping data? That looks good according to SL

Getting withdrawal symptoms

6 answers to this question

If it only happens on Wifi and wired ethernet works great, then it is definitely an issue with some component of your wireless connection.  If it just started with the new smarthub, the likely there is an issue with that.  Talk to your provider - they can usually help you debug such things.

• Like 1

Unfortunately they are most unhelpful. They offer a basic service free which means making sure your internet is working. As everything except SL is working they are satisfied that it is not their problem. But they said I could have a technical support contract for £30 a month for a minimum of 3 months if I required more expert advice. I must admit I had not isolated the problem to being a wifi one at that point and they were suspicious it might be something to do with SL.

8 minutes ago, susie48 said:

Unfortunately they are most unhelpful. They offer a basic service free which means making sure your internet is working. As everything except SL is working they are satisfied that it is not their problem. But they said I could have a technical support contract for £30 a month for a minimum of 3 months if I required more expert advice. I must admit I had not isolated the problem to being a wifi one at that point and they were suspicious it might be something to do with SL.

ISP's often see support as a distasteful and unavoidable expense. The result is when it is possible to point to someone else, they do.

Routers provide more protections on wireless connections. That is probably where the problem is. Using the access point's model designator look up the manual and read any sections on Gaming and make sure you are NOT connecting to your AP as a guest. See if there is anything you need to change to open all the ports SL needs. SL Firewalk Config.

• Like 1

I will have another look at this port opening but to be honest a friend got me to set up my PC as a dmz and to have every single port open and there was no change, however I have since been fiddling with other things and reset the router so it might be worth trying again. I have also split the wifi signal to 2.6mhz and 5 mhz but I will look at your suggestion again as somehow I have to get this to work.

On 10/12/2018 at 7:39 AM, susie48 said:

I will have another look at this port opening but to be honest a friend got me to set up my PC as a dmz and to have every single port open and there was no change, however I have since been fiddling with other things and reset the router so it might be worth trying again. I have also split the wifi signal to 2.6mhz and 5 mhz but I will look at your suggestion again as somehow I have to get this to work.

Having every single port open is a significant security risk. Not the best idea. Opening all of them for testing is a basic troubleshooting step. Leaving them open is not good.

Having 2.6 & 5MHz connection channels should not be a problem. But, not all laptop network cards can connection to 5MHz. You said you connected, so yours can. But, 5NHz is sensitive to interference. Much more so than 2.6. Also, it does not penetrate walls as well as 2.6. Fluorescent and non-led lights disrupt the signal too. So, try connecting via 2.6 to see if that works better.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2018 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.