I'm suffering another bake fail.........

BelindaN

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

It sounds like something is borked. There is a wear default female avatar button. Use that, then take everything off and add all of your stuff one piece at a time. Shape, body, head, clothes and shoes.

That should work.

Where is the button Janet?? for the default female Avi?

30 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Oh the default AVI got me back but my face is messed up again!   Good job I have the slider settings on a word file..............

Good, you found it! I would’ve had a hard time explaining it while not logged on! I’m one of those people that can drive somewhere no problem, but give directions? Can’t do it!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Oh the default AVI got me back but my face is messed up again!   Good job I have the slider settings on a word file..............

I know I have a twisted logic but intsed of having your details on a note card.  

Why don't you detach your pretty little head.

Make a copy of it. 

Put the copy in a folder named : Head backup if something happen  and I need to get my look back (working title)

Then you can put your head up. And if something happens you have a ready backup. 

4 minutes ago, Derekmate said:

I know I have a twisted logic but intsed of having your details on a note card.  

Why don't you detach your pretty little head.

Make a copy of it. 

Put the copy in a folder named : Head backup if something happen  and I need to get my look back (working title)

Then you can put your head up. And if something happens you have a ready backup. 

The problem isn't the head itself. The problem is the shape that controls how that head and her body look. Those numbers she is saving is so she can make another shape should the shape she is currently using either gets lost on the asset server or becomes corrupted. There's no way to duplicate that shape unless those numbers are stored somewhere. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

The problem isn't the head itself. The problem is the shape that controls how that head and her body look. Those numbers she is saving is so she can make another shape should the shape she is currently using either gets lost on the asset server or becomes corrupted. There's no way to duplicate that shape unless those numbers are stored somewhere. 

Then copy the shape. 

4 minutes ago, Derekmate said:

Then copy the shape. 

Copying the shape will not do anything if that shape is lost on the asset server. I've had this happen to me personally. The original shape and all the copies disappeared from my inventory. The first time this happened to me I hadn't saved any of the numbers. I had to start over from scratch. It's happened twice since then but thankfully I learned the lesson the first time. Granted it is a rare occurrence but it happens.

Why do you have an issue with being safe by keeping a set of the numbers in a separate place?

Edited by Blush Bravin

10 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

Copying the shape will not do anything if that shape is lost on the asset server. I've had this happen to me personally. The original shape and all the copies disappeared from my inventory. The first time this happened to me I hadn't saved any of the numbers. I had to start over from scratch. It's happened twice since then but thankfully I learned the lesson the first time. Granted it is a rare occurrence but it happens.

Why do you have an issue with being safe by keeping a set of the numbers in a separate place?

Interesting. The shapes (in transition between heights) I'm using now are copies of their predecessor, which are copies in a line going back 11 years or so. They're all different now, of course, but they started out as copies. I hope I wouldn't lose them all if the original got corrupted. I suspect that changing a copy breaks the parentage link (the database has to know if a copy is related to the original or it couldn't wipe them all). If that's so, make a copy and change the slider by one for something trivial.

1 minute ago, Parhelion Palou said:

Interesting. The shapes (in transition between heights) I'm using now are copies of their predecessor, which are copies in a line going back 11 years or so. They're all different now, of course, but they started out as copies. I hope I wouldn't lose them all if the original got corrupted. I suspect that changing a copy breaks the parentage link (the database has to know if a copy is related to the original or it couldn't wipe them all). If that's so, make a copy and change the slider by one for something trivial.

I don't know if renaming them would have made a difference. I had many copies of the same shape dropped into folders and all those copies disappeared. It happened right after the first bento heads came out. I had spent hours .. no days .. getting that shape correct to work with the bento head. I logged in a couple days after getting to the point that I actually liked what I was seeing and was an orange cloud. I did my normal thing which was to put on a default base outfit to decloud. I then went about rebuilding my avatar only to find that the shape I was using was gone. I then searched through my system messages and found a message saying that ***** shape couldn't be found. So then I knew the reason for the cloud. I started over. Got a shape I could live with, not as good as the lost one though. A few months down the road and it happened again. I got the same system message saying that **** shape couldn't be found. But this time I had all the numbers on a notecard. It happened again once since then. I hope to never get that message again but if I do I'm prepared.

9 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I then searched through my system messages and found a message saying that ***** shape couldn't be found.

Hmmm, this all sounds worrisome, especially since I have many variations of my shape that I use from time to time and really would love to avoid having to type out all the dang slider numbers. Do you think it might help to box up a copy of all of those shapes and save that box 'o shapes separately into my inventory? Or is that not really affecting the heart of the problem?

And I wonder why it might be that this applies to shapes alone? Or does it?

Edited by Sagadin

19 hours ago, BelindaN said:

just create an outfit that contains all your normally worn body parts including shape. Then when you have to Ruth yourself, or you get caught in an rlv trap that turns u into a marble statue its a simple task to click the folder and choose replace all.

2 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

just create an outfit that contains all your normally worn body parts including shape. Then when you have to Ruth yourself, or you get caught in an rlv trap that turns u into a marble statue its a simple task to click the folder and choose replace all.

Yes this is good advice. I had to use it yesterday when I accidentally wore all of my tops! Sometimes it takes relogging a few times to get the "replace current outfit" to do the job, but it does work.

53 minutes ago, Phorumities said:

I had a few outfits saved with that shape .. they all poofed since saving outfits only creates links back to the original. I've been in SL nearly 15 years. This has happened only three times. All within a year of the first occurrence. I'm hoping it was an anomaly and won't happen again. But I'm covered as I have my shape numbers saved to a notecard. 

Edited by Blush Bravin

Thanks all for the advice. The bits I understand I'll try.................*scratches head*.........?

What's interesting is that my Alt, who is much simpler than me..............pauses for laughter....................snapped into place in maybe five seconds today.

I've also rezzed twice and although the first time was super slow, the second time was about ten seconds. The thing is, my home site is complex and so has lag, which I know doesn't help.

Anyway I took my beach outfit, and stripped everything including HUDs, from that outfit except simple hair and bikini, and shoes. So for now I'll exit and enter using this outfit.

The bald head thing is interesting, because the one I'm wearing is the system Avi which I bought early on and so far I haven't found another bald head to replace it with.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, it's hugely frustrating to be locked in smoke, and it really affects my sense of humour............?

In the ANSWERS section of this forum we get these questions from people hitting these problems. You can often get immediate answers by searching in Answers.

There is a small set of knowledgeable people answering. And... the occasional totally ignorant idiot chimes in now and then too. But, often Firestorm Dev Team people respond. The good thing about them is they get information from the Firestorm Support peeps and are aware when something has changed with the SL system. 
</commercial end>

This CLOUD problem is recurring. There doesn't seem to be a single cause, but a number of things conspiring to get you... it's Halloween time. Two of those are; connection and crash-on-exit. Both are unpredictable and often unnoticed. The FS Viewer is more prone to quietly crash-on-exit, mostly never noticed. The LL Viewer is a bit more spectacular when it crashes. But, in both cases the 'Inventory List' kept by the viewer CAN get messed up. Next login you see the problem. 

As best I can tell the problem from a messed up list comes from the limited time the viewer has to download the list. Each login the viewer checks the list and updates it when needed. When the file is messed up this process seems to take too long and goes sideways and you see a problem. So, if you have an inventory with LOTS of stuff in a single folder and a connection on the weak side... you'll see this problem more often than others. 'LOTS of stuff' in this case depends on your computer and connection. Some time ago SL hit a problem where loads of people with more than 5,000 items in a single folder could not login. Support can fix the problem, but it is they that have to fix it.

Also, if you sail, drive, or fly and hit a disconnected region (you know them because suddenly you're stuck in place, can't move, and you get disconnected) you are likely to have a bunch of problems when you reconnect and a messed up inventory and cache are likely. They will usually self correct.

There is nothing you can do to avoid or predict when these things happen. You first know it is a problem when you see your puffy particle avatar looking like a cancer causing second hand smoke cloud. Since you can't prevent the problem, preparing for it is your only option. 

Prepare by using at least 2 viewers. Preferably with one being the Linden Lab Viewer. When you see the problem and can't correct it in a few minutes, shut down and grab the “inv.gz” files from the 'second viewer' and copy them into the problem viewer. Then login. The viewer then only has to update the list, not deal with a broken list. (see Bake Fail - scroll to end) TP'ing to Furball or Pooley, deserted empty regions, then logging out so you can easily login there will help.

Keep the number of items in a single folder to a reasonable number. A folder full of stuff is still just one thing in its parent folder. So, inventory size is pactically infinite. So, keeping the number under 1,000 is easy.

3 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, it's hugely frustrating to be locked in smoke, and it really affects my sense of humour............?

Have you considered changing your name to “Misty”?

3 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

the occasional totally ignorant idiot chimes in now and then too.

I resemble that remark!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2015 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.