Jump to content
  • 0
AmandaHoliday

How do I find the group key?

Question

Two different vendors have said that I can find the group key to allow people to join my group by opening the group and reading it. I must be on a different wave length or some thing. I opened the group every place I know to ask. No group key anywhere. I searched the data base and got an error message that the connection was either rejected or terminated by the cloud. Obviously, still have no answer. So, "Help! Help!" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

11 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
20 minutes ago, AmandaHoliday said:

Two different vendors have said that I can find the group key to allow people to join my group by opening the group and reading it. I must be on a different wave length or some thing. I opened the group every place I know to ask. No group key anywhere. I searched the data base and got an error message that the connection was either rejected or terminated by the cloud. Obviously, still have no answer. So, "Help! Help!" 

why you post this again? the right answer is in your older post ... what database you look for it? it;s on the group profile.

https://gyazo.com/114f06d82db80864da44d4fe263240fb

 

Edited by Ethan Paslong
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I submitted again because I didn't remember about not naming names, so went to that immediately and fixed that problem. Never went back to the original because I fixed a problem that I presumed was the only part of the answer I'd get until it was rewritten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Which viewer are you using?  Both Firestorm viewer and CoolVL Viewer show the group key on the group profile (as shown in the gyzao image link Ethan included) but I can't find it on the group info displayed in the LL viewer.  If you're using only the LL viewer, you may need to try the second way that LittleMe included in her answer on your other post.  

You'll also find that most people will go ahead and provide answers, even if you need to fix something (like removing names), when there is a clear question to be answered. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

That's a different problem. I have only the Linden Labs viewer. The rest of the instructions were in jargon and I have enough trouble reading English about computer stuff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
43 minutes ago, moirakathleen said:

but I can't find it on the group info displayed in the LL viewer.

It would be ironic if for the LL viewer, you have to use LSL scripts to get a group key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Amanda, if you want to download the Firestorm viewer just so that you can get the group key easily, you can go to http://www.firestormviewer.org/downloads/ to download it.  

Otherwise, you can wait to see if someone else  comes along with a way to find it in the LL viewer (I tried looking again, but I don't normally use the LL viewer so there may be a way that I am just not seeing). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 minutes ago, Whirly Fizzle said:

Presuming you are a member of the group, open your web profile in an external web browser & go to the group tab
https://my.secondlife.com/AmandaHoliday#groups

Click the group you want the key for.
Then look in the address bar for the group UUID.

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.3f844a4ab88e524a62917cddf85af49e.png

That’s intense! Luckily, except for vendors and external systems apparently, there’s very little reason to need a group key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

Which viewer are you using?  Both Firestorm viewer and CoolVL Viewer show the group key on the group profile (as shown in the gyzao image link Ethan included) but I can't find it on the group info displayed in the LL viewer.  If you're using only the LL viewer, you may need to try the second way that LittleMe included in her answer on your other post.  

I'm pretty darn sure that once upon a time I used to see the keys in the Group profile info, but I sure can't find it there now.  I use Firestorm, typically in Phoenix Viewer Mode.  

I can always get the key via the web page though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm pretty darn sure that once upon a time I used to see the keys in the Group profile info, but I sure can't find it there now.  I use Firestorm, typically in Phoenix Viewer Mode.  

I can always get the key via the web page though.

I had no problem finding it using Firestorm using its default mode. 

I rarely use the my.secondlife.com area at all, so I had no idea that the group profile info could be accessed there.  Always nice to learn additional things!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thank you to all who provided answers but problem solved. Once I knew that it's not easily viewed using the Linden Labs viewer, I had a 'work around" that was easiest for me. A friend who uses firestorm copied and pasted the group key and sent it to me. I'm going to keep her around! -giggle- Yes, it's handy to have friends .

And yes, only vendors of expanded tip boards need the group code to allow the "join group" key to function properly. They're the only ones who asked for it  the group key, so far..

Write this one off as solved.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×