how to transfer land ownership to a new group without incurring additional tier

JessieHoo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello, we just bought a land from some company. Our group is the same group we use to rent the land, with people from the company as group owners. After we have paid their asked price in full, there are still three people from their company remaining as group owners, and they are offline and cannot be reached. We feel a bit insecure with them still as group owners, so we want to make a new group and deed our land to the new group. The problem is, I am the only premium member, and I am currently making my land contribution solely for the current group. The land is exactly 1/4 region tier and I am using 1/4 region tier in land manage. If we make the new group, it will still be me that make land contribution to the new group. 

I understand that the land tier and the corresponding monthly usage fee is calculated based on the PEAK land usage for the billing cycle. 

So, what I want to ask is: 1. Do I need to make land contribution for the new group before I can buy land for the new group? 2. If I need to,  how do I transfer the land from the old group to the new group while still only pay the 1/4 region tier for this month?

Thank you very much. 

you cando this in a few steps

- create the new group, let all join who need to be in it ( do not make others owner, but give them rights manually)

- make at least one alt co-owner so you will be always at least with two members , and in total control

- set the land for sale to yourself for 0 L$

- than take your land donation from the orignal group, don't worry, ignore the warning, the land can be without enough coverage for a little while.

- change your grouptag to the new group and buy the land for the new group.

now your transfer will be without addition peak usage.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

you cando this in a few steps

- create the new group, let all join who need to be in it ( do not make others owner, but give them rights manually)

- make at least one alt co-owner so you will be always at least with two members , and in total control

- set the land for sale to yourself for 0 L$

- than take your land donation from the orignal group, don't worry, ignore the warning, the land can be without enough coverage for a little while.

- change your grouptag to the new group and buy the land for the new group.

now your transfer will be without addition peak usage.

Thank you! Another problem is, we now have thousands of items rezzed in the land and deeded to the current group. If we change the group, how do we deal with those items?

Adding one minor point to Ethan's reply first: you may have to do the transfer in two rounds because during the short time you own the land personally, you don't have the 10% group tier bonus.

2 hours ago, JessieHoo said:

Thank you! Another problem is, we now have thousands of items rezzed in the land and deeded to the current group. If we change the group, how do we deal with those items?

At first, switch autoreturn off and the items will not be returned. That's probably not a good permanent solution but it'll give you as much time as you need to change the group of the items to the new one. I'm afraid you have to do that manually but you can select and change several objects at a time and if you use Firestorm, the area search function can be very useful for finding them all.

3 hours ago, JessieHoo said:

We feel a bit insecure with them still as group owners, so we want to make a new group and deed our land to the new group.

That's a sensible precaution anyway unless you trust them 100%. The original owner of a gruop can always ask Linden Lab to return it to them even if they left it long ago. I'm not sure exactly what LL's policy is in such cases but there is at least one fairly recent incident where the people who had owned a group for years were very unhappy when they logged on and discovered that it had been returned to the creator and that they weren't even members, let alone owners, of the group anymore.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2022 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.