Last names coming back

MintPanther

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Dunno when, but, new sign-ups won't have a choice of last name. They get what they get now - Resident - unless, perhaps, they sign-up as a premium account, but we'll have to wait and see on that. Also, you won't be able to choose just any last name. You'll only be able to choose one from a list.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, MintPanther said:

So, when? Still this year?

And so all new sign-ups will have a choice of first and last name? I'd like to reserve Jingo McTastic.

The timeframe has slipped. While they hope it will be this year there are a lot of problems synchronising the forums and marketplace. With only 2 months to go, and with Christmas and other holidays, realistically, time might be too short for 2018.

The last name will not be freeform. It will be from a limited and pre-set list just like it used to be prior to 2010. You will though have free-form choice of your first name.

It was said that people will have the ability to recommend last names for the set list, but there would be no guarantee they would be accepted.

You will need to be premium, and pay an extra fee to change.

Here is an up-to-date blogpost, with all the information gathered together into one place, about the upcoming ability to change your user name:

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/03/22/more-details-on-the-upcoming-ability-to-change-your-user-name-in-second-life/

When Ebbe Altberg was last asked about it, he said that this feature would come very late this year, at the earliest. It's starting to look like it will be pushed to next year.

• Like 2

Hmm-I was under the (erroneous) impression that a) LL would reintroduce the custom/provided surnames (as before 2011) for ALL new sign-ups and b) allow premium users to pick whatever new first/last names they wanted (for a fee).

I guess they must be offering some incredible surnames? Or are they banking on people hating the Resident surname so much that they go premium to buy their way out, with any 'custom' surname being seen as automatically preferable to the R-word?

Otherwise, I can't see how this is much of a sweeping change??

4 hours ago, BobbyGeorge said:

are they banking on people hating the Resident surname so much that they go premium to buy their way out

Hmmm, having spent more than 7 years creating and promoting the Social divide between Lastnamers and Residents, they now plan to make a cashcow out of it, to finance Project Stupid in glorious Vomit-Cam-Vision...

Sounds like an LL sort of plan...

• Like 1

I have my doubts will the last names / name changing thing bring any really meaning additional income for Linden Lab?
And will it bring any meaningful number of additional premium members to SL?

This is one more bad decision to the collection of bad decisions they have made over the years. :(

(Surely Linden Lab have made many excellent decisions too. Thank you for them! ?)

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

I have my doubts will the last names / name changing thing bring any really meaning additional income for Linden Lab?
And will it bring any meaningful number of additional premium members to SL?

This is one more bad decision to the collection of bad decisions they have made over the years. :(

(Surely Linden Lab have made many excellent decisions too. Thank you for them! ?)

Now that would make an interesting thread, “excellent decisions made by the Lab”.

• Haha 3

The change-over to "Resident" was LL's solution to people complaining and whining about wanting to choose their own last name. It was in my opinion, a terrible solution but that's what you get for complaining. You can't make everyone happy. Now I see that people in this thread are already complaining because they won't be able to pick their last name anymore, so already complaining again lol. I think choosing a last name from a list was and is a good feature. It allows for some interesting and creative ways for matching first and last names together. It also allows you to have more choices for a first name as it's pretty difficult at this point to find a good first name when the only last name choice is Resident so you end up with a goofy first name and then needing to apply the Display Name feature to have a more preferable first name. A messy solution if you ask me, I'd rather have a first name to my liking from the get go. Also, if they are going to allow the choice of selecting a last name for a fee so what? If people want that choice let them have it. 

Edited by Sommerland Starostin
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Sommerland Starostin said:

The change-over to "Resident" was LL's solution to people complaining and whining about wanting to choose their own last name. It was in my opinion, a terrible solution but that's what you get for complaining. You can't make everyone happy. Now I see that people in this thread are already complaining because they won't be able to pick their last name anymore, so already complaining again lol. I think choosing a last name from a list was and is a good feature. It allows for some interesting and creative ways for matching first and last names together. It also allows you to have more choices for a first name as it's pretty difficult at this point to find a good first name when the only last name choice is Resident so you end up with a goofy first name and then needing to apply the Display Name feature to have a more preferable first name. A messy solution if you ask me, I'd rather have a first name to my liking from the get go. Also, if they are going to allow the choice of selecting a last name for a fee so what? If people want that choice let them have it. 

Some of us created a perfectly good user name on the first try. One just needs to use a modicum of creativity

On 10/14/2018 at 8:11 AM, Sommerland Starostin said:

I don't think any account I have ever created has had a goofy name...or a name with numbers. You just have to stop for a few seconds and be a little more creative. Think of things that interest you, words that describe you or your beliefs, hit up a thesaurus for alternatives, put them together to try and form something new. 

Although I would kill to have a capital letter added to chibiusa.....I was young and foolish when I created this account, that mistake has haunted me for years

Edited by chibiusa Ling
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 8:11 AM, Sommerland Starostin said:

The change-over to "Resident" was LL's solution to people complaining and whining about wanting to choose their own last name.

You make it sound like it was a punishment lol. However, that's not how I remember the change. I don't know why they changed to Resident, but it certainly wouldn't have been as a punishment, or to stop an occasional bit of whining.

Edited by Phil Deakins

On 10/13/2018 at 10:29 AM, Klytyna said:

Hmmm, having spent more than 7 years creating and promoting the Social divide between Lastnamers and Residents, they now plan to make a cashcow out of it, to finance Project Stupid in glorious Vomit-Cam-Vision...

There's a social divide between people with old accounts and people with less old accounts?

12 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

You make it sound like it was a punishment lol. However, that's not how I remember the change. I don't know why they changed to Resident, but it certainly wouldn't have been as a punishment, or to stop an occasional bit of whining.

They said it was because the name selection step was one in which a lot of people gave up registering. Why it was such a stumbling block I have never figured out. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

They said it was because the name selection step was one in which a lot of people gave up registering. Why it was such a stumbling block I have never figured out.

At a guess, because at any given time there were more than 3 last names on the list to choose from.

Many humans have problems when offered more than 3 choices, their brains sort of stall...

This seems also to be tied into why a certain well known political psychological speech trick works...

"Not [thing 1] , not [thing 2] , but [thing 3]!" *thunderous applause from the party supporters at the conference*

Thatcher used to use this trick, a lot of politicians do, or rather their speech writers do...

• Like 2

On 10/12/2018 at 9:29 PM, Klytyna said:

Sounds like the Dr. Seuss story of the “Star-Bellied Sneeches”.

4 hours ago, chibiusa Ling said:

Although I would kill to have a capital letter added to chibiusa.....I was young and foolish when I created this account, that mistake has haunted me for years

I see thousands of people with a first name starting with a lower case letter, and i just shake my head.

When i created my original account i never considered for even a fraction of a second not starting my name with a capital letter. Then I added a capital in the middle to give the impression that my first name was in fact two names.

Another thing i can't understand is people that have a display name that is identical to their account name. Are they jealous that people with display names have two lines and they only one?

Its even funnier when their display name also doesn't start with a capital.

Edited by Phorumities
fixed spelling

4 hours ago, Phil Deakins said:

they probably laid off the person responsible for creating and maintaining the lists of acceptable last names, so they decided to just get rid of last names too.

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sounds like the Dr. Seuss story of the “Star-Bellied Sneeches”.

the starless sneeches allowed the ones with stars to make them feel inferior. They could have simply started a campaign to show that in fact being starless was superior to the ones with stars.

of course the ones with stars would have laughed at such an attempt by the starless ones because some things just are and no amount of propagandizing will change reality.

Of course its also possible the ones with Stars would have been so consumed with guilt over their superior position they might have agreed that yes starless was better and then would have done everything in their power to accomodate the starless ones.

Edited by Phorumities
fixed spelling

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1585 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.